The Biggest Threat to Gaming...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: The Biggest Threat to Gaming...

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 am

As pointed out, it does happen in other forms of media to their creators: Book writers, movie directors, comic book writers and so.

I am fairly certain George R.R. Marin has gotten a lot more harassment, insults and death threats then any game developer ever did for the Red Wedding. However has he stopped writing? No. He still is doing so.

I do not want to imply that harassment, bullying, threatening someone over their creative work is alright because it isn't ( though I'd point out there's a vast difference between throwing an insult at a writer or game developer for their work and to harass them over it )but the reality is that it's been going on for a long time in other forms of media, longer then gaming has existed, and yet other forms of media thrive very well so what makes gaming so threatened by this behavior?

However I do think there is some uniqueness to the situation in gaming, in that there don't seem to be that many game reviewers, at least non high profile ones working for IGN, Gametrailers or Gamespot, that are really critical of the games they play. In fact most of their reviews tend to be rather shallow, ignoring major issues of the games they've played or glossing over them instead of giving them the proper attention they need and this creates an imbalance for while there are many players who will be critical of the issues in the games they play, making lengthy well written posts on say how Chris Metzen ruined the Starcraft Universe lore and story with Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm, there are very very few game reviewers t who will do this.

This imbalance between between reviewers and players is probably the biggest threat to gaming and the main reason there's little respect for game's journalism, not the harassment, bullying and threats which have existed for other forms of media long before the internet.
Io.Draco

Postby Lieris » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:28 am

Fridmarr wrote:Truly, although I never played ME, I don't get the sense that it's a "bad" game. I mean the reviews rip into various features and the ending, but still rate it highly overall. It may not have lived up to expectations, but people still seemed to play it.

That's because the "gaming press" are part of the marketing machine. They regurgitate what the PR guys tells them to and the "big AAA games" always get good marks. If a reviewer gives one of these games a low score, he/she is blacklisted and the publisher threatens to pull advertising from the site or magazine. They even have policies in place whereby if the game is given a 9/10, the site is permitted to put their review up early. Fans get whipped up into a frenzy for these products so when they get lied to the backlash is much stronger.

Tom Chick uses a 5 point scale and he will use the entirety of that scale so for example he will give Halo 4 a 1/5 because he really didn't like it. Games PR and gaming websites have so conditioned people to expect that any given game deserves "at least X out of Y" that he will be on the receiving end of some choice insults if he doesn't like a game that happens to have a particularly rabid fanbase. These expectations have been created by marketing and is another example of the irresponsibility and immaturity of the games industry as a whole. Of course the customers will reflect this.

Most people don't get hyped up for books (marketing spend is almost non-existent) and those that might are generally a lot more mature than games players. With movies you pay your $10 or whatever and when the movie is over that's it, all you've invested is a bit of money and 2 hours of your life. I don't understand the George Lucas backlash personally because I watched each Star Wars film once, thought that only the first two (ep 4 and 5 before anyone gets any funny ideas) were any good then moved on with my life. Some people are just unable to let go for some reason.

Also, there's another very important distinction...This isn't just about bad or misrepresented games, in fact the article is dealing more with games where simple balance adjustments are causing the same sorts of behaviors.

Well yeah, these people are beyond help!
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 am

Games PR and gaming websites have so conditioned people to expect that any given game deserves "at least X out of Y"

Your game got a 7/10? It must be a fucking piece of shit!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:02 am

Well yeah, these people are beyond help!

Keep in mind what kind of frenzy simple adjustments in a primarily MP game can do. I remember the frenzy when the 2.3 patch notes were posted and it was revealed that paladin tanks would get a massive HP boost of 10%. Quite a few warrior tanks went apeshit over that.
Io.Draco

Postby Fetzie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:15 am

That's because the "gaming press" are part of the marketing machine. They regurgitate what the PR guys tells them to and the "big AAA games" always get good marks. If a reviewer gives one of these games a low score, he/she is blacklisted and the publisher threatens to pull advertising from the site or magazine. They even have policies in place whereby if the game is given a 9/10, the site is permitted to put their review up early. Fans get whipped up into a frenzy for these products so when they get lied to the backlash is much stronger.

One of the reasons why I don't read game review magazines any more. They are about as unbiased as Fox and Friends.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Teranoid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 am

Figured this gif would be pretty appropriate for the current discussion:

Teranoid

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 am

Biggest threat to gaming? Soapboxes, trollpiss, and entitlement from every segment of the playerbase.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Mannstein » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 am

Io.Draco wrote:As pointed out, it does happen in other forms of media to their creators: Book writers, movie directors, comic book writers and so.

I am fairly certain George R.R. Marin has gotten a lot more harassment, insults and death threats then any game developer ever did for the Red Wedding. However has he stopped writing? No. He still is doing so.
(...)

Based on the wailling on the internet, he received 100times that bashing for the quality of the last two books...

P.S. Let's not drag the "I liked/disliked the last two books" discussion into here.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby lythac » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:30 am

Miles Jacobson, studio director of Sports Interactive wrote:Football Manager 2013, our most recent game, has been our most successful to date – 1.2 million copies sold on PC and Mac and over 10 million illegal downloads in the past year.

That is high. Higher than I thought.

I would say the largest threat to gaming is piracy and poorly implemented DRM to combat piracy.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 pm

lythac wrote:
Miles Jacobson, studio director of Sports Interactive wrote:Football Manager 2013, our most recent game, has been our most successful to date – 1.2 million copies sold on PC and Mac and over 10 million illegal downloads in the past year.

That is high. Higher than I thought.

I would say the largest threat to gaming is piracy and poorly implemented DRM to combat piracy.

Piracy is always going to exist though. Software on tape and disk was ridiculously cheap back in the day but every school had a "computer club" where copies were made and exchanged but computers like the Amiga, Spectrum and C64 lived on well into the early 90s. The success of the DS is largely down to easy piracy.

It's not something I partake in but piracy is not all bad and historically has been hugely beneficial to a lot of systems.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Piracy exists as another scapegoat for companies who make games that suck to use as an excuse as to why people didn't buy their product. I'm not saying it's not a problem but it's not the biggest problem. Not even close.

Companies come out and say "This would have sold better if so many people didn't pirate it." when in reality most pirates have absolutely no intention of buying it in the first place so their typical tactic of "we lost a sale because they pirated it" is essentially meaningless.
Teranoid

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Yeah most hardcore pirates just download things as part of a piracy collection. They play the games for 10 minutes or not even that. It's like digital compulsive hoarding.

We have no way of verifying it but it's my personal hunch that the total play time of the 1m legit copies dwarves that of the 10m pirated copies.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm

A game company made a game company sim and seeded a special version on a bit torrent tracker that they advertised as cracked but made it so the more popular your games became the more they'd get pirated. They then published forum posts and support emails from those users asking how they can stop the pirating and if they could add a DRM feature to their sim games.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Newsom » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Actually, piracy is generally a good thing if it's a good game. People tend to buy what they like. I've pirated lots of games that I then bought (or later bought the sequel/expansion to). There's a good reason there are starter editions of games like WoW which you can't really pirate (well).
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Dion » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Newsom wrote:Actually, piracy is generally a good thing if it's a good game. People tend to buy what they like. I've pirated lots of games that I then bought (or later bought the sequel/expansion to). There's a good reason there are starter editions of games like WoW which you can't really pirate (well).

You can keep lying to yourself, but don't wait others to believe that shit. You aren't standard where every pirate compares to.
Dion

PreviousNext

Return to General