Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Postby Teranoid » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 pm

The game is too far down the slope to go back to everything being more time consuming and ultimately actually resembling the textbook definition of an MMO.

We're now in the Xbox generation of "gimme gimme gimme or I quit".
Teranoid

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 pm

benebarba wrote:I actually wonder if those 3+ hour (wait+run) times to run dungeons is actually one of the things that helped prevent the burnout we now see... You simply couldn't pound through every dungeon til your eyes bled because there wasn't' enough time.

Fair point, but you also need to include the slower pace of content progression. You didn't feel like you needed to hit cap in 5 days and be raid geared in another 5. The game was slower not all that long ago.

But, you also can't put that genie back in the bottle either.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Lieris wrote:
halabar wrote:Sure... let's...

Eliminate casual content, and force socialization. No more random groups.

Make all dungeons take at least an hour to run, 3 is better.

Rehash old lore that new players don't care about.

Bound to be a winner. :roll:

Do you really have to be some dismissive? It's very tiresome.

Be constructive or keep it to yourself.

:D Warcraft 1 here, from the LAN party days.

And rose-colored glasses solve everything.. sure...

All you suggested was removing all the changes made to make the game more accessible to "modern" gamers. Don't think that will happen.

So, besides porchchairs and rocksalt, any real ideas that build on the current state of the game?

How about...

As I said for dailies, make it all weekly. Allow people to play to their own schedule.

Reward players for playing in known groups. (They are doing a bit of this with H Scenarios already, and are expanding with Flex).

What they need next is a way to build more socialization with non-raiders, perhaps something to do with the farms, or crafting, or events, or group questing.

halabar

Postby Ruldar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 am

Casual players are the ones who pay the bills, and casual players are the ones benefiting from LFD/LFR. That particular change is never going anywhere.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby cdan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 am

The idea of co-operative farming appeals to me, halabar. If you group with another 2-3 players you should be able to increase yield and growing time. Or something.

I have alt-itis so I have my own mini-co-operative going, but having a yield increase or similar for working with others would be a good idea in my book.

Co-operative professions would be an idea too. Not just sending stuff from one person to the next to have profession-based additions made to the original item, but grouped chars acting in unison to create something a little better. 3-ingots for a pair of BS-ers with one each and one to roll on. Or something.
cdan

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 am

cdan wrote:The idea of co-operative farming appeals to me, halabar. If you group with another 2-3 players you should be able to increase yield and growing time. Or something.

I have alt-itis so I have my own mini-co-operative going, but having a yield increase or similar for working with others would be a good idea in my book.

Co-operative professions would be an idea too. Not just sending stuff from one person to the next to have profession-based additions made to the original item, but grouped chars acting in unison to create something a little better. 3-ingots for a pair of BS-ers with one each and one to roll on. Or something.

Yep, need something to increase socialization besides killing bosses.

And less things that require a daily log-in.

halabar

Postby Sagara » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 am

Mmh, something like needing Belt Buckle for leatherworking belts? :-p

Actually, that *would* make sense for end-game crafting. The big problems with the "cross-profession" recipes was always you had almost no-one to provide the materials while leveling up if you were late to the party. But end-game crafting *will* be obsolete when the new xpack rolls around anyway... So why not?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:08 am

Or a "guild" farm where the harvest happens once per week, but requires 5 people to tend it once during the week, but doesn't mandate specific days.

halabar

Postby Sagara » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 am

I'd honestly like the farm to be weekly instead of daily, and maybe the same for some of the big profession cooldowns.
The concept of daily stuff always annoyed me to no end.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:25 am

Sagara wrote:I'd honestly like the farm to be weekly instead of daily, and maybe the same for some of the big profession cooldowns.
The concept of daily stuff always annoyed me to no end.

Yep. Or have crops that take longer with higher yield.

halabar

Postby Nooska » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:11 am

In regards to the farm, I wouldn't be a fan of making it weekly instead of daily (even if I don't log in every day) - mostly because it take slong enough to get through the tillers rep with it being daily (remember not having the double rep bonus). Also, weekly means less ability to plant what you need, it would become irellevant for a lot of people, either because it was too much "time investment" (returns being too far in the future) or too rigid.

I would be a fan of adding crops that took lnger to grow (in addition to daily crops) with a higher yield - especially for things like profession mats, so if you know you need a lot of cloth/ore/whatever, you plant the long term ones for a bit better yield, in exchange for locking out your farm plots used for it for a week.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby benebarba » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 am

noodle cart will change everything.

;)
benebarba

Postby lythac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:31 pm

I would like to see Raid Attunements come back. It can be as simple as one or two solo scenarios. Give players some lore who perhaps didn't quest or skipped past raid text to create some immersion for them.

I quite enjoyed the ones we had to do on the isle of thunder to unlock it.

I'm also in favour of pushing back raid release to one week after patch so for me it would fit. And open Heroic mode at the same time as normal.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby benebarba » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:45 pm

lythac wrote:I would like to see Raid Attunements come back. It can be as simple as one or two solo scenarios. Give players some lore who perhaps didn't quest or skipped past raid text to create some immersion for them.

I quite enjoyed the ones we had to do on the isle of thunder to unlock it.

I'm also in favour of pushing back raid release to one week after patch so for me it would fit. And open Heroic mode at the same time as normal.

this seems completely reasonable to me... though did all players need to be attuned or was it only one? I get the TBC raid attunements and heroic dungeon keys mixed up.

though the folks who don't care about lore will probably never be made to care about it, so I'm not sure I'd be aiming it at them.
benebarba

Postby Flex » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:54 pm

If they change the farm system I'll kick a baby.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General