Remove Advertisements

[Ret] Personal dps goals before T15-ish content

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret] Personal dps goals before T15-ish content

Postby amh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:10 am

Hi!

I've joined a more or less casual* raiding guild, and I'm wondering what kind of dps I should be looking at before signing up for raids. So far I've only been doing a few heroics and weekly LFRs, but I seem to do doing all right (60k-100k dps, depending on the fight) compared to the other pug members. What kind of dps (let's assume Patchwerk-style fights for ease of comparison) should I be doing in order to not make a complete fool of myself?

The toon in question is linked in my signature.

I realise this may seem like a stupid question, but I've really no idea what to expect. I've been away from the game for a year or two. :)

* At least I think they count as casual. Three to four raids a week, working on normal-mode T15.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: [Ret] Personal dps goals before T15-ish content

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:39 am

Ehm knowing your weapon rather than that Sulfuras would be nice :P

With that gear you should be going for 50kish dps without raid buffs. The more the better.

Bare in mind dps scales a ton with gear, within 20 ilvls your dps might as well double.

Random thing: bad gemming is bad.

Gem pure haste in yellow / prismatic, haste/str in red, haste/hit in blue.

Not COMPLETELY sure about JC gems though, some more competent ret can tell you about them.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby amh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 am

Worldie wrote:Ehm knowing your weapon rather than that Sulfuras would be nice :P

The upgraded version of this one.

Worldie wrote:Random thing: bad gemming is bad.

It's not that bad, is it? EJ says pure STR is all right till I hit some vague point they called "raid geared", so I just went with a mish-mash of stuff I needed. (hitcap = expcap > str > haste > mastery > crit)

But the question was more about expected dps from someone raiding T15 than what I should be pumping out with my current gear. I can always farm some more first. :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 am

My unsolicited advice is to go do the Barrens weekly quest, upgrade your helm to 489 (has meta socket) and pick up the 502 boots quest reward, which should get you into ToT LFR (req 480), hopefully so you can run it today as last day of reset (3rd boss drops 2H).

amh wrote:What kind of dps (let's assume Patchwerk-style fights for ease of comparison) should I be doing in order to not make a complete fool of myself?

The first boss in ToT is Jin'rokh the Breaker and is as close to a patchwerk fight as you can get. Icy Veins tells me with 5 DPS you need to be doing 82k. There is a damage increase buff of 40% which you should have for roughly half the time so the single target DPS you actually require is more like 68k. I should mention that Jin'Rokh is substantially easier than the other bosses but that is mainly due to ease of execution.

As your guild is only at 4/12 I am of the belief that your DPS is most likely fine right now for your guilds progression. What worries me as that your low ilvl and by extension HP will either put the raiding group off of you or make you vunerable to unavoidable AoE damage as I am not banking on your healers being flawless.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 am

TLDR you better have your bubble and divine protection easily reachable. Consider using Glyph of Word of Glory if you end up healing yourself often.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby amh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 am

Perfect! Thanks, both of you! :)

I'm not in a hurry, so I'll grind through your suggestions, and upgrade more pieces before signing up. The last time I had to gear up to meet health requirements was on my priest starting BT. 8500 health (plus shields!) was serious business. :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 am

You don't "have" to have enough health. But having 100k more HP is a nice buffer.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby amh » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Well, that was a great success!

Two-hander, helm, boots, ring, and two-piece T15 LFR (plus a spare leg-token) in one sitting. I'm out of mogu coins, but I'm off on vacation for the next reset anyway. Thanks for the heads up on the whole Barrens-scheme!

(Still got the last part of ToT left. Saving it for tomorrow)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 am

If you want to know exactly how to gem, sim your character. The value of haste in comparison to strength matters.

At entry level, Haste is less than half the value of Strength. Use 2 JC only Str gems, and mostly Str in the other sockets, using Str/Haste and Str/Hit to fill yellow and blue sockets.

Once you start to gear up, Haste is more than half the value of Strength, but less than three quarters the value of Strength. Still use 2 JC only Str gems, in the red sockets with the best possible bonus, but use mostly Haste in the other sockets, using Exp/Haste or Str/Haste in the red sockets and Haste/Hit in the blue sockets. If you're over Hit cap and can't reforge it away, use Haste/Stam instead (though you should really consider the value of the socket bonus at this point).

As you gear up further, Haste becomes more than three quarters the value of Strength. At this point, you want to use 2 JC only Haste gems instead, and gem mostly Haste in the rest of your gear.

Pure guess, you're probably in the middle option, where you want to use JC only Str gems, and mostly Haste gems outside of that.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby amh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 am

Quite comprehensive. Thanks! :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes