Remove Advertisements

Maintankadin 101 - Winchester

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Extermi » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Winchester, nice guide, I might add a few things:

For blessings, kings is definitrely the prime choice for all but trash tanking, and should deserve an entry

As judgements are concerned, judging wisdom is something you do for your DPS, but not for yourself. Any remotely decent boss smacks you for so much damage that your mana is always full. If not, swap gear to get more spell damage at the expense of defense. If you need thread, judge crusader, if your DPS needs mana, judge wisdom. Do you have many melee fighters ? Judge light.

Extermi
Extermi

Postby Winchester » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:58 am

So your logic is, if you're not getting smacked hard enough degear and make the healers work harder?(also going oom quicker)
Threat is far from an issue for me, my problem is keeping my mana up and i'd rather use judgement of wisdom instead of straining my healers.

And now for something completely different.
Jabbers is a king amongst gnomes...
Last edited by Winchester on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:54 am

holy crap over 1000 views :P :shock: :D :P
edit: added smileys
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Aerron » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Couple of quick comments. You've done a very nice job with this guide, covering pretty much all the points a paladin starting out needs to know.

Minor nit-picks:

Agility - you mention it's good only for Dodge, but it adds Armor as well. In fact, there's pretty much no discussion about the benefits of Armor here at all, though you do allude to it in your discussion of Imp Devo Aura. There's a number of threads on various forums that discuss the ratio of armor to how much longer in terms of minutes/seconds a tank will live with increasing values of armor.

Shoulder Enchants - you discuss enchants for the various other pieces you mention, but no discussion of the shoulder enchants. I may have missed it, but didn't see it in there.

Blessing of Sanctuary - lots of Tankadins arent' sure when it's best to use this Blessing. Brief discussion of it might help those starting out.

I particularly liked your General Tips section. You have a very nice guide going here, hope to see it continue to evolve.
Aerron

Postby Winchester » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Huh, i cant believe i forgot the shoulder enchant, then again i wrote that bit first back when this was just page 1, basicly just a gear guide.

I didnt think there was much to say about armor other than the armor talents. Armor imho has the lowest priority of all the tanking stats, atleast for me. i would much rather dodge 1% more than get 300armor.
I wouldnt mind a link to that armor thread you mentioned if you happen to come by it again.

About the agility, perhaps a bad choice of words, but i didnt mean to imply that it's only good cause of the dodge, just mean when you have the choice between dodge rating and agility you dont go "well on 1 you have more dodge but hey on the other it makes up for it from the 24armor"

I myself dont know when to use kings and when to use sanctuary.
I think it just comes down to preference it's kind of hard to argue when which is better, on the 1 hand you have a slightly bigger buffer of max health for the healer to work with, on the other hand you're mitigating 80dmg from any dmg source and helping with passive threat generation.

Off to fix some of the info... :) and some copy pasting :)
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Thank you

Postby Barnabas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Boy, did I get an education. Tanks a lot!

I don't know alot about Paladins, but I am learning and this site has really helped me. Your post is very informative. I look forward to additional basic training sessions!
- Barnabas

Barnabas

Postby Hammerjudge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:06 am

Useful guide.

Perhaps consider a cross-link to this very pragmatic important post on key bndings/ action bar? It's an often-overlooked issue.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... 4254#64254
Hammerjudge
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:57 am

Hammerjudge wrote:Useful guide.

Perhaps consider a cross-link to this very pragmatic important post on key bndings/ action bar? It's an often-overlooked issue.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... 4254#64254

You already have by replying with it ^^,
I chose not to post my bindings in my guide.
The reason for this is because it might come of wrong, "hey do it like this"..
I would just recommend people to try different keybinds out, see if good and comfterable for them.
If you want i can post my binds.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:51 pm

So far i've main tanked all my guilds first kills except hex lord, well i took the murlocs on moragrim.

<Contingent> 6/6 ZA, 3/4 TK, 5/6 SSC, 1/1 Magtheridon, 2/2 Gruul. 1/1 Doomlord Kazzak.

also DING 3000 views!!
Edit: updated tanked list.
Last edited by Winchester on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Kahlai » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:37 am

Wow, thanks so much for this info, it was extremely helpful to a young Paladin.

Keep up the good work :)
Kahlai

Postby Stoops417 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 am

Great guide, lots of the same info contained elsewhere in this site, but having the same thing said in different words sometimes helps it make more sense.
Give a man an answer, and he'll ask another question tomorrow. Tell him to read the goddamn stickies and he might start thinking for himself.
Stoops417

Postby redlenses » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Another item to possibly include:

Divine Intervention - if a wipe is inevitable (very bad pull), use DI to commit suicide, you'll avoid the 10% durability loss - which for a tank is important, if your armor breaks the instance is over. It's best to DI someone with a res, so they can res you and you can get the group back up without having to spirit walk.
redlenses

Postby Winchester » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:29 pm

redlenses wrote:Another item to possibly include:

Divine Intervention - if a wipe is inevitable (very bad pull), use DI to commit suicide, you'll avoid the 10% durability loss - which for a tank is important, if your armor breaks the instance is over. It's best to DI someone with a res, so they can res you and you can get the group back up without having to spirit walk.

Yeah I'll just add that to General tips, i just assumed that people used it for that since that's what it was made for :P
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Uthadanin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:54 am

Winchester wrote:
redlenses wrote:Another item to possibly include:

Yeah I'll just add that to General tips, i just assumed that people used it for that since that's what it was made for :P

Actually I will use my DI in the second boss in slabs? (the mind control guy) if the healer dies, i will DI the next toughest guy in the remaining group and he drops the sheild right b4 the remaining dps die, while we are running in from behind to zerg him.
Uthadanin

Re: Maintankadin 101 - Winchester [Ding 3000 views!!]

Postby Nicki » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 am

Is it possible for you to ammend the bit about armor...being that in many cases its the most efficient way of staying alive :\
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Nicki

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents