Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Sagara » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Okay, i'm mostly still alive.

Now I've got another conundrum: either my 2 tier pieces (currently equipped) or HC Puncture-Proof Greathelm and Reconstructed Furious Shoulderplates... How in the FLYING FUCK did I drop those shoulders, I'll never know.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Fetzie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Holy shit, 0.13% drop chance. That's a tenth of the drop chance of Invincible or Onyxia's mount.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Hayt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

Hayt wrote:Long time lurker and I find myself in need of a quick reality check (or a full fledged restructuring of perspective :/ ) because the haste/control build is sexy but also not in my comfort zone theory-wise.
I am MT for my guilds 2nd 10 man group and never do 25m content....mostly because we are an empty server and 2-night casual raiders.
My darling: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... t/advanced

Hi Again everyone,

Thought I would crawl out from under my lurker rock and update on my gear status. After the helpful feedback I got earlier this year I took off the extra stamina and embraced full haste/control; and I have been loving it while having a quiet laugh anytime my healer feedback is "I barely have to heal you, the rest of the raid...not so much". Statistically false but still makes me smile. (also allows me to see reason in the up coming nerfs/changes)

As before I would appreciate any tips concerning mistakes in my kit; and also curious if the LFR haste belt from JR would be better than what I currently have?

I also have normal dark parasite legs but our 4p has carved out a niche in my heart and I just can't bring myself to drop 4p and re-adjust my stats to use them (though I could keep 4p by using the tanking chest instead of retri...). I haven't hit 50% yet; so maybe I am missing out...no idea.

I was also curious (maybe wrong section, I apologize) if vengeance "cheese" tactics were only for statistical glory or if it was an essential tactic on any boss?

Thanks again! /back under lurker rock
Hayt

Postby kamidak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

yo! plz someone tell me, with that gear i can tank ra-den without problem?!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... o/advanced

and any tips for this? only with SotR on Fatal Strike i'll "heart attack"?
edit: for safe mode, keep holy avenger or i can try DP?
Last edited by kamidak on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kamidak

Postby Thels » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:20 am

535 should be fine.

What might help is when the energy bar is filling up, to bank 5 HoPo and a HoPo generator, so you can quickly SotR, Generator, SotR to get a 6 second SotR. Makes it easier to catch the Fatal Strike with it, and will more likely cover the melee in front and the melee after as well.

Admittedly, I'm still stuck on Lei Shen, so I'm not speaking from experience.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby daishan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 am

I still use HA for Ra Den, mostly due to lack of practice playing with DP.
If you use HA I find it best to save it until the first orb is killed and he starts gaining energy, that way HA will cover the maximum number of Fatal Strikes.
Like Thels already said try to have 5 HoPo ready just before the strike, he can delay it quite a lot when he's summoning adds, also at least for BigWigs when you let an orb hit him to reset Vita the audio countdown for Fatal Strike gets confused so be real careful to watch his energy bar, if you use WA check the Ra Den tactics thread for a massive energy bar you can't miss.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:34 am

all of the mentioned things you can watch in my video of our "Feats of strenght" video from my protpally perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iov0RFIoThw
Schroom

Postby cactusito » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Hey, I'm currently on 12/12 Normal ToT (2/12 HC tonight) but i've just been informed by some of my raid members that i'm taking a bit too much damage than i should be... but also that "other" paladins tanks have been top healing and even on some cases top damage, but i've yet to see this for a while on my realm (Draenor EU).

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Nátsú/simple

I'm hoping anyone can enlighten me if i am going down the wrong path on either gear, talents etc, or if there is just that little bit i can change that can boost my tanking ability.

Many thanks in advance,
Nátsú
Draenor - EU
cactusito

Postby Sagara » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 pm

A few questions:

10's or 25's? I see 10's on your activity feed, so wanted to make sure. Do note, most top-damager tanks tend to do 25 or use gimmick tactics (like Iron Qon Solo tanking).

There isn't anything looking inherently wrong with your gearing choice, but have you tried a run off Simcraft? Haste is most certainly your best bet, but it always pays to be careful. Anyway, if you get the opportunity, it might be worth it to nab a Spark of Zandalar to swap with Soul barrier depending on the fights.

Looking at your most recent activity, I did notice you just went trough Ji-Kun, which does tax tank CD's a bit. Have you checked a WoL? I'm getting an intuition that the complains could be linked to Ji-Kun spiky tendencies.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby samsara » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:25 am

daishan wrote:I still use HA for Ra Den, mostly due to lack of practice playing with DP.
If you use HA I find it best to save it until the first orb is killed and he starts gaining energy, that way HA will cover the maximum number of Fatal Strikes.
Like Thels already said try to have 5 HoPo ready just before the strike, he can delay it quite a lot when he's summoning adds, also at least for BigWigs when you let an orb hit him to reset Vita the audio countdown for Fatal Strike gets confused so be real careful to watch his energy bar, if you use WA check the Ra Den tactics thread for a massive energy bar you can't miss.

The wait for 5 HP is a good advice.
I personaly use T15-4piece set + Unbreakable Spirit + DP for Raden. This combination grants me an >85% SoTR uptime (depending on procs). I have also tried it without the 4piece but that gave me the same "heart attack" feeling and pulse >9000, it just feels saver. I'm lucky there anyway as our warrior wants to reroll to monk so he needs gear and have to tank most of the time :>

-----------------------

@cactusito:

do you have any logs? Most of the figths i know only from 25M perspective on my paly but there it can be a huge dps difference if you take for example glyped avengers shield. are you using your cooldowns like "DP" often or only in case of emergency. you can often smooth out dmg with your cooldowns, it's better to use them instead of thinking "oh, i will spare them for times bosses will hit hard". Generaly in 25 hc 4pc is very strong, dunno about 10 man but i gues when solotanking stuff it will be awesome too for HP generation.

For the Healing stuff, again from 25M perspective it's very depending what you are using. Lights hammer is great on fights with high vengeance where a lot of people are stacked up and burst is comming from time to time (best example megaera, use it when all people are stacked up in the transitionphases). Holy Prism can cut down your DPS a bit but is also good on some fights where your group is not stacked up. If your raid posts you logs of "OP-Paladins doing Tons of Healing/DMG" look at the logs. Overall rankings from wowprogress are stinking, a lot of people play for the ranking, getting tricks and other stuff, having different raidcomps and different ilvl which results in other fightlengh and so on other dps/hps values. Most of the time i would just say, try different things, see what brings most fun to you and from what your group benefit most, if its the same -> great, if not try to find a middleway.
samsara

Postby kamidak » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 am

yo!! thanks everyone for the advice. I'll keep in mind all these tips and do my best! :wink:
Probably friday we start our attempts on Ra-den. :roll:
A last question: I asked to some guys about the Fatal Strike ignore the mastery % on SotR, cuz it was a bug.... but they said Blizzard already fix. That's true :?:
kamidak

Postby Schroom » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 am

It's no bug it's a feature. Mastery is still ignored, at least last week it was. We'll be farming him today if something changed I'll let you know.
Schroom

Postby kamidak » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:13 pm

gg guys... 24 attempts... many wipe cuz "scumbag" dps in orbs but done!
again; thx everyone :)
inc 5.4
kamidak

Postby Thels » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 am

Gratz :)
ImageImage
Thels

Postby C55S » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi all. Can anyone tell me some ballpark figures to look for regarding our tank's SotR uptime in 5.4?

Looking at some logs they seem abysmally low, but I thought I'd make sure figures in the teens are unacceptable these days before pursuing it. Take for example a fight like Protectors. First night on the boss, average ilvl around 528, competent healers, fight takes 8.5 minutes. Our pally, tanking Rook, is at 14% SotR, 44% Bastion. I think he's generating enough HP, just spending too much on Eternal Flame: 22 SotR cast, 45 EF.

Also, he's reforged everything to mastery after hit capping and is using double DPS trinkets, though that seems par for the course these days? I think his obsession with haste is too far gone though. He didn't want to take http://www.wowhead.com/item=103747 over http://www.wowhead.com/item=98255. Though now that I look at them, the latter doesn't even have haste to begin with (his random enchantments were Exp/Mastery).

This guy is going to be the death of me...

Any insight's appreciated. Thanks.
C55S

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice