Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:02 am

I was curious to find out what the numbers are like for subs to WoW and happened upon the lastest news saying the subs have actually dropped quite a bit lately. Not sure how this compares to previous summers, but here's the link: http://www.gamefront.com/blizzard-loses ... -2-months/

Pasted for those at work with issues:

Despite being insanely profitable, World of Warcraft’s subscriber numbers continue to dwindle as time goes on.

Just this past May, the game saw the loss of 1.3 million subscribers, to 8.3 million, down from 9.6 million. Today’s latest figures reveal a further decline for the massively multiplayer online RPG with figures dipping down to 7.7 million. That’s a loss of 600,000 players over a period of 2 months.

It’s not surprising that an MMO this long running has people leaving it, especially in the wake of new games on the market making attempts to claim World of Warcraft’s space in the industry. Not many people are going to play an MMO for 10 years. In spite of the dip in numbers, not many games can claim to have 7.7 million subscribers. It’s doubtful that anyone at Blizzard is sweating over the loss in subscription numbers.

It’ll be interesting to see what Blizzard does in its attempt to retain existing players or build its numbers back up. Perhaps an expansion or two may be in order, especially with Project Titan delayed to at least 2016.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: Blizzard Loses 600k Subscribers in 2 Months

Postby benebarba » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am

FWIW:
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

In short, it's not until 1Q 2009 that wow sees a drop in sub numbers period. It drops from 12 to 11.5 Million by 3Q 2009, goes back to 12 in 3Q 2010, then declines to the end of the chart at the end of 4Q 2011 (If I follow the graph right).
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:57 am

even better one, with more up to date data. Doesn't break down by region though:
http://www.statista.com/statistics/2081 ... -warcraft/
benebarba

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:34 pm

It's still asians. WoW is not good enough for Asia, hence why they making several shifts there.
Too much F2p competition seeing WoW is payed on hours there.

WoW is still extremely strong in western world.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Not doubting you for a second here Worldie, but I'd be really interesting in reading more about that line of thought - have you got any links or things you could share?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 am

The fact that most of the loss is Asian is well known, they said it everytime at the last 2 million subs loss.

I can't find you a link stating it's the F2p competition as I don't remember where I read it, but seembs also quite obvious to me.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 am

Yeah, it's mostly curiosity, and some FUCKING way to shut "conspiracy theory" types up.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Thels » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 am

So there's still way more subscribers than during Classic. And I think during Classic they were pretty happy, or they wouldn't have come out with all those expansions.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 am

Tbh seeing there's some MMOs out there which keep going with subscribers in the 6 digits order, I don't see why Blizzard shout stop developing wow with "only" almost 8 millions subscribers (which is more than all other MMOs combined)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 am

While there's been some doom and gloom about WoW hemorraging subscribers and blizzard resetting work on Titan, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick just bought out Vivendi, paying $100 million for Activision Blizzard stock. Management, at least, are pretty confident about the future.
Paxen

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:40 am

I'd be quite confident myself.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby benebarba » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 am

Sagara wrote:Yeah, it's mostly curiosity, and some FUCKING way to shut "conspiracy theory" types up.

good luck with that. Any attempt to silence a conspiracy theorist simply fuels the fire. It's easy to be 'right' when you can simply deny all evidence to the contrary.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:28 am

Thels wrote:So there's still way more subscribers than during Classic. And I think during Classic they were pretty happy, or they wouldn't have come out with all those expansions.

Yep - though as has been mentioned with other games in other threads here (how hundreds of thousands of sales can still be a failure), it's possible the targets have changed. But I'd be willing to bet they know exactly what number they need to hit before they'll have to be concerned about sustainability. Though I'll also bet that they don't go 'meh' to people leaving... if they did, I don't think we'd have seen some of the game changes they've made.

On a side note, I did find it interesting that it seemed like the two data sets I found were rather different, despite saying they were the same thing. Somehow, I think the second one I posted did some serious rounding before plotting (and I didn't see if there was a way to get the raw data).
benebarba

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 am

People who quit will always come back at the next expansion... ;)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:28 am

Worldie wrote:People who quit will always come back at the next expansion... ;)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General