Re: Transmogrification and stuff!

Postby Newsom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I finally found a staff that works with the Shaman Challenge Mode set:

Also replaced the pants with a kilt.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am

Im fucking tired of weapons looking like shit since cata...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am

They should just "hire" a bunch of students to make 3D weapon/gear models for free. Tons of students would happily spend months seriously polishing their work if they'd get something they made into WoW. You'd need some QA people to look over it, but surely it'd be worth it? :(
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 am

Hey, some kid did a huge mod for Skyrim to see if he can get hired by Bethesda.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:31 am

Era wrote:They should just "hire" a bunch of students to make 3D weapon/gear models for free. Tons of students would happily spend months seriously polishing their work if they'd get something they made into WoW. You'd need some QA people to look over it, but surely it'd be worth it? :(

Only idiots work for free when a company comes calling.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:44 am

Flex wrote:
Era wrote:They should just "hire" a bunch of students to make 3D weapon/gear models for free. Tons of students would happily spend months seriously polishing their work if they'd get something they made into WoW. You'd need some QA people to look over it, but surely it'd be worth it? :(

Only idiots work for free when a company comes calling.

Sure, I guess, but companies like Blizzard don't come calling, do they? So the poor students don't get to put WoW content on their portfolio, Blizzard doesn't get free content, and players make do with what they got. And we're back in reality-land where mutually beneficial opportunities like that probably won't ever happen. :|
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:48 am

Era wrote:Sure, I guess, but companies like Blizzard don't come calling, do they? So the poor students don't get to put WoW content on their portfolio, Blizzard doesn't get free content, and players make do with what they got. And we're back in reality-land where mutually beneficial opportunities like that probably won't ever happen. :|

How is it mutually beneficial for someone to work for free for a company that could afford to pay them? Exposure doesn't pay your bills.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:01 am

I doubt Blizzard is going to put more people on the payroll just for aesthetic content, regardless of whether they could afford it or not. So for Blizzard, if they could do it free, maybe it'd be an actual option. Pure 3D assets wouldn't require that much QA work on their end either.

As for the students, sure exposure alone doesn't pay the bills, but surely you won't disagree with that having your work actually implemented in a world-class game would look good on a portfolio. And a good portfolio helps with your job application.

I'm not saying it's a better option than paying them for their work, just that it sounds like a solution that both parties could benefit from. Not like they'd be forced to work for free. They could do other stuff with their time. Like practice their skills making things that doesn't get exposure.
Era

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

The only time it is worth working for free for exposure and resume padding is when you retain ownership rights of your created material, which if often not the case with these types of situations.
Last edited by Flex on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flex

Postby Era » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:11 am

Fair point; I concur.

I'm sure they could write a contract letting Blizzard keep the rights to the content by giving attribution to the creator, but I see how it'd be a little tricky in terms of verification for a potential employer. Maybe a small note on the item's official armory page?
Era

Postby halabar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Flex wrote:The only time it is worth working for free for exposure and resume padding unless you retain ownership rights of your created material, which if often not the case with these types of situations.

Yet there are thousands or even millions who will.

Real question is, how much quality work would they actually get back in return? Probably some, but sorting through all the chaf would be time consuming.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm finding it hard to grasp the notion that anything could "work" with the Shaman Challenge Mode set. It doesn't work with characters (any of them!), never mind the rest of the gear.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Newsom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I'm finding it hard to grasp the notion that anything could "work" with the Shaman Challenge Mode set. It doesn't work with characters (any of them!), never mind the rest of the gear.

What? It looks awesome! Especially on dwarves.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Those shoulders are the most horrible thing ever designed.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Worldie wrote:Those shoulders are the most horrible thing ever designed.

this bears repeating

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General