FTL: Faster Than Light

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

FTL: Faster Than Light

Postby Baelor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 am

Been keeping my eye on FTL for a while, picked it up during this year's Steam Summer Sale ($2.50? Hell, I'll buy just about any game for $2.50!).

I'm playing on Easy difficulty and making steady progress deeper into the game, tweaking how I manage and upgrade the ship each time through using learnings from the previous attempts. It's brutal, though - one bad encounter can really ruin your entire playthrough.

Who else plays? What's your favorite ship, and how do you prefer to build/upgrade it?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Re: FTL: Faster Than Light

Postby bldavis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:00 pm

i love this game, but havent played in a while...might have to get back into it!

edit: now htat i have played a few games again i am ready to answer!

i currently have both starter ship variants, the engi ship and the rock cruiser
i personally prefer the rock cruiser, but get a laser asap (missiles run out fast!)

frustration though, on my last rock playthrough, not only got the stasis pod, but also got the zoltan home world with 3 red zones after it as possible rock home worlds! so i had steps 1 and 2 for the crystal ship unlock...but the red zones were pirate, mantis, and rebel /flip table
oh and died in the 7th zone because my fricken missiles kept missing a dam auto scout!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Baelor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:28 pm

I just shut it down for the evening right before I planned to jump into battle with the Rebel Flagship for the first time. I don't feel wholly prepared for this.

Currently running with the Stealth Cruiser (A), kitted out with a Pike Beam, Ion Blast Mark II & and Ion Bomb, and a System Repair Drone. 3 dots of shield, level 3 cloak, a Rockman and Mantis as my away party, and about 45% evasion when fully manned (pilot/engine crew). Haven't picked up any augments of note except for the Shield Recharge Booster.

I hope going the ion route with my weapons isn't going to screw me.

Any recommendations for how to handle the final boss?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby bldavis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:16 am

ion should help with the massive amounts of shields...away team sounds good

generally knock out, and keep knocked out, both their shields and their stealth generator.
use your away team to knock out each weapon system starting with the missile
beam doesnt do shit, so that is lowest on priority, as long as you can keep your shields up
oh and when you teleport your away team in, have them be positioned so your rock is on top of the existing crew in the room you are going into
rocks = tanks, mantis = dps

note this is stage one only...
stage 2, knock out the drone controls ASAP or you WILL be overran.
other than that, it is rinse and repeat...

stage 3...well i have never made it that far.
dam defensive drones keep me from getting the drone control down for any decent amount of time and i just get overwhelmed

note on the crew races
humans - good at everything, base line
engi - great for repairing...dont use them to fight
rock = fighting fires, being a tank, they will out last anything but another rock in a one on one fight. it gets a bit hairy vs a mantis, but they do come out on top barely - if you get the random station/ship on fire..remember rocks are immune to fire..and disease
zoltan = get it and park it in your med bay, or your pilot seat. save on power, and they arent the best fighters so you want them there mostly for the free power....imo anyway
slug = havent really used these enough to say much about them, they have a nice perk that will help if you have shite sensors, but other than that, they are basically human
mantis = the dps race...they can take out anything but a rock in a one on one fight, and the rock will be close to dead so a mantis and a weapon strike can kill a rock. they are the best fighters, and work well with a rock as an away team using the rock as a tank

and last but def not least
crystal = you can grow crystals using your lockdown ability, making it much tougher for anyone to get in or out of the room.
beyond that, they are a bitch to get, but do well if you have to repair your O2, as they have lower oxygen requirements iirc

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Other Games