Tanking Shaman at Fathomlord.

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Worldie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:20 am

Io.Draco wrote:Seriously I usualy run OOM when I am tanking hunter , so I am actualy thinking of tanking both hunter and shaman

That would own you so bad if they get hunter enrage and shaman WF at same time, believe me.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Kyroro » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Druids are the best tanks for the shaman, simply because of the high dodge and armor. When the attacks come quick it's not entirely possible to avoid them all and blocking will do jack shit. In the worst case (and this is how you should always consider tank selection...) even if the druid takes all normal +2 WF hits AND a Frost Shock, he'll still be alive since he has 21k+ health and the armor has mitigated at least 1-2k off every hit.

You can tank the shaman, no one is saying you can't, warriors do it as well but if you have a feral druid in your raid, the combination of attacks from the shaman makes the druid best suited. Paladins are best suited for the hunter.

If you are going to tank it, make sure you have an imp, a Grounding Totem from a shammy and a warrior to CS you if it's available. Only this way will you survive. If you're quick on buttons and find yourself getting low on health you can always bubble/cancel and give your healers a few extra seconds. But it'd be hairy either way. In my guild, even our warrior MT who is best geared, tends to stay away from the shaman.
Kyroro

Postby PapaNasty » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:06 pm

You'd be better off tanking the hunter, only reason for tanking the shaman is if your other tanks have pitiful threat generation, or if you've got better mitigation than they do

I had to tank the shaman last night for my guild's firstdown of fathomlord since our dps were worried about being threat capped if anyone else tanking him. He hits like a truck on crack, some some crazy burst damage, would definitely not reccommend it unless you're packing a tonne of health / avoidance
PapaNasty of Barthilas (US)
PapaNasty

Postby Erutaron » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Our guild normally has a druid tank the shaman, not because he is better geared, but just as others have said, a druid's dodge is that much higher that when the shaman hits with a windfury, if those attacks are not doged/mitigated, that tank is going down.

We have had our druid tank, with over 19k HP, not sure on his armor and dodge, but I am sure it is pretty average for a T5 Feral Tank, get bursted down by the shaman's windfury attack. He got unlucky and never dodged any of the attacks, and went down b4 a single heal hit him. Being a shadowpriest, who was leveling my tankadin at the time, it was pretty disheartening to see a 19k tank basically get 1 shot.

I would imagine if you can stack a stupid amount of dodge/parry, and not necessarily block, that you could tank him as well, but that is leaving a lot to luck, and we don't have the massive armor/HP that the druid has to save us should we get an unlucky string of hits.
Erutaron

Postby Gerilith » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Erutaron wrote:Our guild normally has a druid tank the shaman, not because he is better geared, but just as others have said, a druid's dodge is that much higher that when the shaman hits with a windfury, if those attacks are not doged/mitigated, that tank is going down.

We have had our druid tank, with over 19k HP, not sure on his armor and dodge, but I am sure it is pretty average for a T5 Feral Tank, get bursted down by the shaman's windfury attack. He got unlucky and never dodged any of the attacks, and went down b4 a single heal hit him. Being a shadowpriest, who was leveling my tankadin at the time, it was pretty disheartening to see a 19k tank basically get 1 shot.

I would imagine if you can stack a stupid amount of dodge/parry, and not necessarily block, that you could tank him as well, but that is leaving a lot to luck, and we don't have the massive armor/HP that the druid has to save us should we get an unlucky string of hits.

I'd not generalize that much. A tankadin blocks any hits which lowers the damage range enourmeously. In addition, a feral without socketed agility (on about every slot) will have less fullavoidance than a well equipped warrior or tankadin.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Sengen » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:46 pm

this windfury thing people are so worried about.... is it melee?

I mean if its melee then wouldn't a pally be equal or better suited?

my dodge is 30% buffed and my parry is 17% buffed. We dont have any druids that have 47% dodge - at best they are close to 42%. so am I not better suited with parry here?

unless this massive damage people are talking about is not melee damage.

tonight is going to be our first attempt against him.
Sengen

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:23 am

If you're talking about large bursty hits, it's generally not the ones you avoid that kill you (obviously), but the ones that you don't. (Check around for Effective Health discussions)

Unless you're pulling out all the stops on gearing/enchanting/potting for armor boosts, a bear's going to take in the neighborhood of 2/3 of the damage you would per connected physical attack.

Also if you have 30% dodge buffed in T4ish level gear, you probably don't have a lot of hps to survive connected bursty spikes like melee+windfury that you fail to avoid.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Dehn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 am

I've tanked it fine now in my max hp/avoidance gear. Imp + CS from a warrior gives a nice cushion, and the grounding totem is a nice help.

Nightmare seeds is your friend while the hunter is still alive.

I used two healers 100% focused on me.. a holy paladin and a tree.. with another tree keeping a full lifebloom stack rolling while raid healing.
Dehn

Postby Doriangray » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:43 am

I generally tank the shaman on Karathress. That said, except for one druid that we generally have in the raid, I can reach the highest hitpoints of all our tanks, and can keep good threat too. And HP is important in this fight in my opinion (I got 20.3k or so buffed).
Especially since there's a distinct disadvantage paladins have at this boss compared to warriors and druids: cataclysmic bolts hit mana users, which can be me too. So an extremely unlucky scenario where pretty much everything goes wrong is: Cataclysmic bolt + windfury from both his weapons (did anybody else notice that his windfury seems to go off 100% of the time? I don't think I've ever seen a swing that didn't get windfury) + frostshock = 20k in about 2 seconds. Keeps the healers excited :)
The damage is insane, luckily, he goes down fast.
That said, the hunter might be the better call for you in many raids.
Doriangray

Postby Sengen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:04 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:Also if you have 30% dodge buffed in T4ish level gear, you probably don't have a lot of hps to survive connected bursty spikes like melee+windfury that you fail to avoid.

your not totally wrong - but with the 30% dodge I still have about 18.2K HP

its not bad.
Sengen

Postby honorshammer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:41 am

Sengen wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:Also if you have 30% dodge buffed in T4ish level gear, you probably don't have a lot of hps to survive connected bursty spikes like melee+windfury that you fail to avoid.

your not totally wrong - but with the 30% dodge I still have about 18.2K HP

its not bad.

I assume that's buffed.

With 24% dodge, I have 21.5k.
honorshammer

Postby Magnusharkov » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:46 am

Anyone else notice his damage output go down since the patch? We went back to SSC yesterday and it seemed a lot easier, might have just been a lucky run though.
Magnusharkov

Postby Robbert » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:40 am

We downed FLK for the first time over the weekend and our regular fearl was a no show so, being the best geared tank I pulled (or rather assigned myself...it's good to be the raid leader) Shammy tanking duty. Holy hell does he hit like a truck. I went from 80% health to dead in about a second. Unfortunately the death reports on recount are still fubar so I have no idea if I ate a cataclysm bolt in there...I know that WF was up at the time.

We got incredibly lucky as the pally tanking the hunter had built up enough aggro on the shammy through mana gains that the shaman went directly to him after I died, the hunter was already down, and dps was working on the pet already. Just rolled one healer to the tank on FLK and kept 4 healers on that pally till the shammy went down. I think FLK enraged at 1%...yay for the warrior having the presence of mind to pop shield wall/last stand as he enraged!
Robbert

Postby honorshammer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:16 pm

I found Ironshields incredibly useful for tanking him. He does hit quite hard.
honorshammer

Previous

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern