H-Old Hillsbrad: now I know why it is the hardest heroics...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

H-Old Hillsbrad: now I know why it is the hardest heroics...

Postby Wakeman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Yesterday the daily heroic was old hillsbrad. I have never been to there before in heroics, so I LFM in /2 and formed a group: me the tankadin, restore druid healer, shadow priest, BM hunter, arms/fury warrior.

The first few pulls were easy. Then we wiped on the first Lookout pats because it called 2 adds immediately after scatter shot me. So I learnt to put down consecretion frequently on those lookout pats and was fine afterward. On the first house, another lookout pats walked by. I thought it would be better to kill it first, so hit it with shield when it was in the middle between the two houses. It called for help from the two houses as soon as being hit and we wiped again.

The next try we jump down from the pit instead of the stair. We thought we were safe there and decided to wait till the pats walked away. Unfortunately, someone was too close to the entrance and aggroed the pats. Wipe again.

Then we recognized there seemed to be only 2 group of lookout pats patrolling, so we took them out and cleared the first house and had the explosive set. Woot! Some progress finally. We went on to the next house, killed 3 of the 4 mobs, then pats came out from no where. We wiped and called it.

Damn this heroics is so hard! I know now why every people who have been there don't want to go again.

I know our group is far from optimal. It would be better if we had mages or locks replaced the warrior and shadow priest for more cc. Their gear is not so good too. However, we would be fine if it was heroic SV or SL. The pats in h-old hillsbrad are just insane! I'm still not sure where the last pats that wiped us came from. Could it be respawn of those we killed earlier? If it was, then the respawn was really fast!

Any tips about H-Old Hillsbrad? Though I don't know if I will try it again. I will definitely get a better group if do.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Triadx » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:13 pm

You would've disliked it more back in the day before heroic nerfs came...everything upto the first boss was unbelievably hard. Changed our warrior tank from being a dps warrior since vanilla WoW.. to guild MT :P.

Something that my guild groups have done on the bombing the huts part was...on the bridge after the 2nd pack of mobs, you could use this to scout over both sides to find the patrols and raid mark them with the less frequently used icons. I also use the pit for pulling patrols into...and seeing the icons coming close is a good indication of when to call your group to move to the back of the pit. Personally, when I spec prot and tank on my pally, I only use Skull to dps my current target...and have it bound to my keyboard for easy target switching (Don't like to type much in party chat, or say on comms which target is next).

In response to your group setup, from what you described, it was just tracking the patrols which seemed to be the problem...in which case...hunters have track humanoids to sense incoming patrols. Arms warrior should demo shout/thunderclap if the damage was fairly spikey since a majority of the patrols damage is physical melee based...could also take a few hits if you're scatter shotted. There's more to add...but I'm too tired to think atm :( It's more coordination than anything else.
Triadx

Postby Katatonia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:53 am

I had a similar horror story the first time I did heroic OHB, but now that I've done it a few more times I consider it to be in the middle of the pack, difficulty-wise. Not something I'd do every day because it's too much of a pain to get to, and in terms of badges/time it's pretty poor, but it's really not that hard once you learn all the little quirks. I have to be more selective about who I bring than most heroics, because there are several 'required' abilities to make the run go smoothly, but there are several classes who can take those roles so it's not too bad. I highly recommend a shadow priest while you're learning it.

Basically the hard part is the bombing, the rest is pretty straightforward. Scattershot can be handled like gouges on Moroes (BoSac the person you know will be #2) or just bubble out of it and try to get your group to keep them stunned a lot. Mark the pats, and note the time they die so you aren't surprised 15 minutes later when they respawn on top of you. Start by killing the pats up top, then pull the two houses below when the two sets of lower pats aren't around. The houses are much easier if you have a spriest to MC a warden. Once the houses are clear, pull each set of pats and kill them. Then hurry over and kill the other three houses. Finish burning and wait for the boss to come to you under the bridge. Use tremor totem, pvp trinket, and/or fear ward to escape from intimidating shout and he is cake (make sure your healer is aware of the MS as well). On your way up to the keep watch out for the pats that probably respawned before you burned all 5 houses.

The thrall part is really simple, just a series of fights. Thrall can take quite a beating so don't be afraid to drink. MC is again very handy, but make sure the spriest breaks it the instant all the others are dead or Thrall will go aggro another pack. Second boss isn't too hard, make sure someone is dispelling the stun from you immediately, kill the two adds first, and don't stand in his consecration.

Fast forward through a bunch more easy trash, to the final boss. First pack is three in front of you, be sure to kill the defiler first. Second group is a bit of a surprise coming from over by the fields, but it's the same group as the first one. Final group is four, and if you've made it this far the boss is really easy. There's a short window of time where you are out of combat, and your healer and dps should make good use of it. Tank him with your back against the wall of the building next to the inn to counter the knockback, have someone dispel the buff he puts on himself every 10 seconds (it's what dispels your buffs), and then it's just a very basic tank and spank.
Katatonia

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:01 am

Get
a
rogue
to
soloplace
bombs
in
stealth.

Patrol problem solved, easiest heroic ever.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zeels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 am

Bosses are still pretty tough, if you aren't used to them. Drake is not as hard as before, but still tough. Mr 2000 dmg per conceration tick can be a problem as well.

Saying it is the easiest heroic ever might be true for a t6 guild group of worldies friends, but for a PUG it's really not the easiest.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Wakeman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks a lot! The information is helpful.

Now you have mentioned it, I can't remember our shadow priest mind controlled anything. :P Mc'ing the warden would have helped a bit, as the last wipe was partially due to its heal and fear. I'm not sure if the warrior used demo shout or thunder clap.

So it is a 15 mins respawn! ic, the last pats that wiped us were the respawn.

And now I'm really interested about the rogue setting up the explosive! Do you mean that with a rogue, we don't need to clear the pats and the guards at the houses? If yes, it will definitely make the whole run much easier! How about boss? Where do we fight the first boss if using this trick?
Wakeman

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:48 pm

What you need is a rogue that have some stealthing skill (stealth enchant on back and/or the Sublety talents are strongly recommended, but it can be done without) and 15-20 minutes of patience. Waiting is anyway better than wiping.

Works like this:
First of all, you stand on the bridge and spot and mark all the patrols so the rogue can see them (dogs have stealth detection).
Then he gets naked (saving cloack or boots with stealth enhancement) and stealths to the first house. The guards are disposed like this: 2 on front door, 1 on back door, 1 in the house. Sap or distract the guard on the back door. Get inside. Sap the guard inside when he's far, place bomb, restealth, get out, repeat 4 times. When 5th bomb is set, all patrols despawn. The guard packs will then get out of the houses and group outside. Boss will also come. The boss will patrol also under the bridge. So the raid literally jumps on him. Pay attention to tank him right under the bridge and have fear counters ready, since fear can both have clothies oneshotted, and send people to the packs aggroing them. Once the boss is down, pull the 3 packs and get to the stairs and enjoy the rest of the istance. The 3 packs are near to each other but can be pulled individually by shooting, mana tapping and avengershielding.

The stealth-placement of bombs takes some time to be mastered.
One of my rogue friends needed about 30 minutes and a couple of deaths to get it done, after that, each time we went there he was done already in 10 minutes. You just have to clear 3 of the packs to get back upside after 1st boss, or u can just suicide and corpserun if you can't be arsed killing 12 mobs.

In case i organize a heroic OH, i tell the rogue to head already there so by the time we get to him, he's done already and we can kill the boss :)

Just as an info, the first boss hits like a truck. The second boss doesnt hit hard but the consecration is terrible. I don't use consecration at all on that fight, at worst i taunt him.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Wakeman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 pm

Ha..... that's a lot of skill and patience needed for the rogue. I hope I can grab a good rogue next time. :P

Thanks again, very informative!
Wakeman

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:12 am

Actually takes some practice. If you have any friend that would dare trying, have him already try a bit alone until he menages to do it. When mastered, it takes less than 10 minutes to set all the bombs. Way less than clearing and eventually wiping, for sure.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Evangelina » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:03 pm

We also did the first part with a hunter and a drood. The hunter pulls and uses feign death. But there were many tries before we do it successfully.
It was also the first time I tanked in there in heroic. Damn it was hard. The first boss did incredible damages on me. And we had to kite the 2nd boss. The last boss was the easiest in my opinion. The funny thing is we spent like 3 hours in there and the last boss dropped good legs in plate and I did not notice them...
Naxxramas
Evangelina

Postby Radience » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:23 am

Moonkin is just incredible for cc'ing in this instance, get mage also and it becomes a cake walk.
Radience

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics