Tanking hawks on Dragonhawk boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking hawks on Dragonhawk boss

Postby Pizbit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:19 pm

How do ya do it? They annoying run right past me as I try to pick them up:(
JoR first, AS next two but after that it's "aarrrrrgh".

I was thinking next time I'd actually just stand by the healers and pick them up there. Looking for comments on how to make sure I get them all instead of some flying through my consecrate and visiting the healers.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Consecrate spam.

JoR first, rest usually gets aggroed by consecration.
Actually considering how healing aggro works, only the first one is a issue cause there's just 2 targets (hawk + boss) getting healing aggro. If you have 8+ hawks alive, 1 tick of consecration gets them on you istantly. Takes 2 or 3 ticks for less than 8.

In case we have too much DPS on boss and we are going to hit the berserk with still eggs up, i just tell healers to collapse on me and wings+consecration and call for AoE running around like a headless chicken throught bombs with hawks following. I usually also die in the flame breath a couple of seconds after hawks are dead, but well, sacrificing a paladin seemb to allow boss kills for us...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pizbit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Would you say I'd/we'd be better off hatching an entire side to start with?
Just wondering, on our first night downing him, and my first time tanking in ZA DPS keept killing the hatcher after only about 5 or 6 hawks were out and when tons of hawks came out accidentally or at 35%(30%?) the healers seemed able to keep me up fine.

If doing an entire side, just stand in the neck/bridge to the eggs or on top of healers?
Pizbit

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:16 pm

I've tried doing that. It worked but was very dangerous.

I basically popped spelldam trinket, consecration tanked every add, as soon as they were all out AoE nuked them, i bubbled quickly to cleanse buffs, then went other side, done same, i got oneshotted by the flame breath that came a couple of seconds after all hatchlings were dead. Was something like 20k+ damages.

Hatchers work like this: they free 1, then 2, then 4, then 8, then all the rest.
Wait until they free 4, then tell DPS to kill em. My ones usually get the hatcher to low HP already, so they oneshot them after they free 4 hatchlings. You basically get to tank 7, or sometimes 15. Tanking the whole side is absolutely not advisable, you would just die.

Stand on bottleneck bridge btw.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pizbit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:21 pm

Awww:(

(Sig is wayy out of date btw, uncrush now and raid buffed anywhere from 15-17k HP depending on lock/warrior shout)

Cheers for the input, should be interesting next time we go.
Pizbit

Postby Sthallas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:23 pm

Kill opposite side Hatcher and let the remaining one hatch all of your side. Put the 1st consecrate down about 2/3 of the way down the bridge and start backing up the outer edge of the AoE (I usually JoR the 1st hawk so he doesnt run past too), have a hunter or shaman put a frost trap or earthbind totem (make sure they wait til after the hatcher gets past you so you dont delay the hatching) about 1/3 of the way into the bridge and consecrate at the entrance to the bridge. Just as all of that side gets hatched drop Consecrate again and then in 1 or 2 secs you should get ported. Wait by Jan'alai for a couple secs so he doesn't throw bombs where you want to tank the hawks then run back to them and drop Consec in a clear spot and call for AoE. make sure the dps kills the Hatcher before he gets off the bridge or you could HoJ and kill him if you want.

DS your debuffs and after 1 more portal the 2nd set of hatchers pops, let them both go and repeat previous steps. You should expect a port before all the hawks hatch so make sure to hit Consec at every cooldown just to be sure its up for when you get ported. The slowing (trap/totem) is pretty key to getting enough Consec threat to keep them off healers. I run with Block set + BoSanc + Fire Aura and DPS is on Jan'alai mostly until AoE is called.
Sthallas

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Btw don't worry to face your back to hatchlings while running away from bombs. The added damage is low, the damage you would take from being near a bomb with all the hatchling's debuff however, isnt.

As i said, run around like a headless chicken.

Well u can do the "tank whole side" tactic with a SS actually, i'm SO going to try that next time, you shouldnt have given me the idea.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pallypete » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:27 pm

I've done it where you hatch the whole side at once, I find it works really well. The trick is to have a hunter in your group lay down the frost trap that slows them, so they spend a lot more time getting through your consecration. Make sure they drop it after the hatcher goes by so it stays active for the hawks for as long as possible. Then even if the boss teleports you and does the bomb thing, you still have time to run over and continue consecrating where you were originally (Don't forget to get out of the way of the bombs still though). Burn them down, pop your bubble to get rid of the stack of debuffs, repeat on other side. Oh, and make sure that the DPS kill the hatcher right away when he's done that one side, cause he'll switch to the other side if you let him live.
Pallypete

Postby Zhelari » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 am

We always clear the the hatchlings in two pulls. I stand at the opening of the bridge and drop cons. Right as all of the adds are spawned there will usually be a teleport and bombs. Find a clear spot quickly and have aoe blow them up. I use DS after the first side to remove debuffs. If I happen to get instagibbed after the second side, it's not near as big of a deal. All I do after the hatchlings are gone is refresh a judgement and help heal anyway.
Zhelari - 70 BE Tankadin - Skullcrusher (US)
Zhelari

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:27 am

I run all the way down the bridge, to the hatcher, and start beating on him. (Bonus because our DPS is bad at remembering to kill him after.) I judge righteousness on the first one because he usually will NOT come from the consecrate alone. The next two will usually turn around at the last second; if not, I'll taunt them. After that they'll all get picked up.

Somethat helps a LOT: if you have a hunter or a shammy in your group, have them throw down a frost trap/earthbind totem with you.
Invisusira

Postby Vagrant » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:03 am

After the birds are dead and you have 50-something buffet stack, retreat to one of the egg platforms until the buffets have expired.
Plenty of time to equip a big or small weapon of choice for the rest of the fight, depending on how you want to pass the time.
I prefer healing because i can stay out of the way and not be a liability to the melee dps.
Vagrant

Postby Minn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:05 am

I agree with those suggesting Frost Trap or Earthbind totem. We send a melee dps to kill the hatcher on one side, and a hunter with me to round up the hawks on the other side. We aim for 1/3rd to 1/2 the eggs on the first round, finish off the same side next round. By the end of the 3rd or 4th at the latest, all the eggs are hatched.

Frost Grenades are awesome for this fight.

If your healers are used to getting Wisdom over Salvation, suggest a switch for this fight. If you're the only paladin there, and you're expected to hang on to the dragonhawks, your job is going to be a lot easier if the healers have Salv. After the eggs are down you can switch them over to Wisdom if necessary.
Minn

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Tested the headless chicken tactic today. I used my regular tanking gear so about 400 spelldam.

Went to one side, took aggro from first by Judging, rest kept sticking on me while passing on the consecration. Worked but healers had to keep spamming me since in that time i got 1 flame breath and my health falled from 18k to 6k. Also got a moment of terror while breaking the 2nd side, due to teleport while the hatcher was spawning adds. I told all healers to collapse on the pink diamond (which is me, stupid pink gear) and aggroed the remaining one and AoEd them, then blasted my mana in dispelling ^^

I would not recommend this tactic with less than 17kish HP.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pizbit » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:49 pm

We went last night, sadly we didn't get him down - mostly the tank dieing after enrage and all hawks were dead.

Had the same problem too, hatchers hatching and then teleported for bombs so they keep hatching. Ended up doing the entire side once or twice, usually did most of a side each time. Spooky shit I tell ya.

Didn't help our mage would repeatedly die after the first set of hatchers from bombs or something.

Frost trap worked wonders for helping pick up the hawks.
Pizbit

Postby Questioner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:33 am

I highly recommend doing 1 side in a controlled manner, whatever you feel comfortable with. For the second side, I prefer to kill off both hatchers and let the entire side break at once at 35%. It is very easy to get aggro on them when they spawn at the same time in one clump, rather than staggered.

I also use a good chunk of FR, it makes it silly easy.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Next

Return to Zul'aman