Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Postby stevos » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:58 pm

The main question with the cloaks, is how long will it take to get. If its 3+ months, other gearing both tank and healers, will massively rebalance the scales between the dps and tanking one. First kill of Birdy heroic, the 2nd rake would almost one shot me with a cd up, now I can take 2 without even bothering with a cd, I try to still play optimally on the boss but its hard to focus fully on fights you have on farm for months.

Will have to see how other gearing up works this coming tier, but switching cloaks again would be a pain in the bank. It's around 10k isn't it to buy another?
stevos

Postby Worldie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:21 pm

My understanding of the questline is that it's all solo-play except for the world bosses part.

Thus i wouldnt be surprised if people will have it pn week 1 of 5.4 even if droprates are stupid
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Meloree wrote:Quantify? Fucked if I know. But the day I got that cloak, I'd start by trading both trinkets for pure DPS options, every stamina gem I had for a gem with DPS stats, and I would still be well ahead of where I started on survival. I'm not sure it's possible to overstate just how powerful cheat death once per minute is. Even when I was parse-hunting, I wasn't close to death a whole once per minute. It is SO MUCH safety margin.

I mean, you have to develop some kind of instinct for this sort of thing as a tank. Theck hasn't quite developed the "read a WoL to evaluate your raid and tell you the ideal stats" program just yet. If you're not dying, you start trading away pure survival (stamina) for DPS (haste). Haste has survival benefits, sure, but it's not as good as stamina. You're giving some (small) amount of survival up to get haste. So, I recognize that's a bit handwavy, but when parse-hunting, you make a point of operating on the thinnest survival margins you can - and it's a valuable skill to learn, because it'll give you some kind of idea of what you can get away with, and how to play when survival really is a challenge. Anyway, it's from that perspective that I'm coming from when I say that I'm pretty sure that cloak proc is worth more DPS than you're giving it credit for. I was a pretty good parse hunter, I know where the margins are. And a proc like that is worth a whole metric fuckton of margin.

And yes - equipping the DPS cloak for even more hilarity is almost exactly what parse-hunters would do. Once things were on farm.

Anyway, I can't prove it or anything. But I do have a pretty good track record.

You know, that's make a very interesting blog entry - how to evaluate yourself in success like in failure, how to evaluate your tradeoff options and choose the right ones. Right now, I'm really working on [not dead or nearly dead] -> [lose stam for moar haeest], until I actually DO die, as I'm absolute crap at parse-reading. Now if only there was a nice Paladin tanking blog somewhere out there ;-)
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby stevos » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 am

It misses the key part, your not comparing apples to apples. You need to look at the death events individually and see if the cheat death would have actually saved you or if a fraction of a second after you would have died again resulting in no net gain. Its not something you can look at parses, since they don't tell you what you would have been hit for, after you died.

Your also unlikely to see two death events close together on purses because you would be dead after the first and if rezzed the healers will probably be watching you more closely afterwards.
stevos

Postby Sagara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:22 am

Well, usually, when I'm close to dying, healers have this thing called instinct where suddently a fuckton of heals are headed my way pronto. The whole "watch more closely afterwards" works just as well after a non-lethal health drop surprised them.

Honestly, the "you die, and die AGAIN" doesn't hold much water, especially in the aftermath of the automatic Ardent Defender being nerfed to hell and beyond because how stupid OP it was.

Sagara

Postby stevos » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:36 am

Most tank deaths are caused by healers trading off tank heals to save the raid, so instincts isn't really relevant. Healers don't choose to let you die, they are too busy to stop it. When I am healing I ask myself can I gamble on the tank surviving long enough for this raid heal to land and then a 2sec greater heal to land.

Ardent defender was only overpowered because people exploited it to get around certain boss abilities. I am assuming bliz will design the bosses around that knowledge.
stevos

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:46 am

Current ardent defender still allowed that (and was nerfed) even if it's active.

The OPness of old AD was the fact it was passive, allowing you to gamble a lot, cause "if i do something wrong, AD backs me up".

As I said, people who don't realize how blatantly OP the tank cloak proc is, clearly didn't play Prot pala (or with one) at heroic level in WotLK.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:49 am

stevos wrote:Most tank deaths are caused by healers trading off tank heals to save the raid, so instincts isn't really relevant. Healers don't choose to let you die, they are too busy to stop it. When I am healing I ask myself can I gamble on the tank surviving long enough for this raid heal to land and then a 2sec greater heal to land.

So basically, what we would need are like 2 extra secs to be brought out of the danger zone by the healers? Like, say, if some proc happened to negate a deadly attack? Gotcha. Also, before the what if there are TWO deadly attacks back to back!!! that would imply that we have two deadly attacks back to back in that window of opportunity - one melee + one special, most probably, one of which is probably predictable and predicted. You ALSO need to have all the healers focusing the raid due to some massive damage.

Look, the short of it is: it's going to save our butts at one time or another, either because we derped or a healer did, or the damage intake has gone out of whack for some reason. Those events aren't going to last long, and if they did, we'd probably be planning a CD around it and they'd probably be less dangerous to us. So the choice is simple: either we wipe, blame whomever fucked up and try again, or we take one for the team, lose 10k dps TOPS, keep living, and maybe, just maybe get that kill.

Ardent defender was only overpowered because people exploited it to get around certain boss abilities. I am assuming bliz will design the bosses around that knowledge.

Like they did with Divine Shiled this very expac. Oh.

Sagara

Postby stevos » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 am

Another kill event is a big attack takes you down to 20% health say. The following melee then kills you. You survive the melee thanks to the cloak and then the tick from a tank switching stackinj DoT (bliz loves them) finishes the job. With or without the cloak you die.

We already have a cheat death in AD/ guardian spirit l for the predictable deaths, its the unpredictable ones where this would come in handy and that's unpredictable for us and the healers.

Edit: don't get me wrong it's a great addition and very powerful, I just don't think it's as powerful as it first looks.
stevos

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:35 am

Thing is it's unpredictable stuff that kills tanks, not predictable one. If you die on a predictable damage ability, you did something wrong.

AND even if you DID do something wrong, the cloak would save you.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby lythac » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 am

theckhd wrote:This proc lets you make one mistake per minute without penalty.

I'm thinking of boss swapping fights where it will be active for longer. Also it could help sub-par tanks/healers with poor communication/coordination on boss swapping fights. I'm actually unsure if that is a cause of death anymore or will be in the new raid. The cloak enchant seems to be a huge crutch for the less skilled when they hit a brick wall in progression, especially for 10 mans as it makes the transition from 3 to 2 healers easier.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby stevos » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 am

True, I was more thinking that the dots tend to hit pretty hard on the stack before you switch. That tends to be the point where tank deaths are most likely. Rather than at the point of the switch.
stevos

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 am

Even there, buying healers that 1 second of extra time (between the killing dot tick and the following tick or melee attack) for their reflex to press guardian spirit, or to land that big healing touch, can turn a wipe into a kill.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ironshield » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:59 am

When I die there are one of two things happening, either I'm going WTF was that?? oh that ability I forgot about or something similar in which case tank cloak FTW!!! Or I'm low on health for a bit longer than expected (healers are distracted) and I'm desperately spamming my WoG / Healthstone / LoH / AD keys to get something up but D'oh to late... in which cast tank cloak FTW!!!

Think of it like 1 free battle rez per minute without the need to rebuff or lose your food / elixir buffs. If more than one person dies the BR ALWAYS goes to Tank > Healer > DPS unless it's right at the end / or it's the other tank that died and I still have a bubble in the hole.
Ironshield

Postby Darielle » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 am

As I said, people who don't realize how blatantly OP the tank cloak proc is, clearly didn't play Prot pala (or with one) at heroic level in WotLK.

For very, very many reasons WotLK was wayyyy too different of an era to try and compare this cloak to. If we'd in any way had the same toolkit that we have now to bring to bear on Heroic Lich King, it would have been an entirely different story.

When you actually think about it, a boss like Horridon makes H-LK look like an adorable kitten and Heroic Megaera makes Sarth look like a little whelp.
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to General