Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

Thats just facetious - historical injustice does not excuse current injustice, and definetaly is not an excuse for removing a concept from someone because they historically had it better.

In this day an age, it actually is a problem in quite a few countries to be "average white male", because there is so much affirmitive action, that for a qualified "average white male" you are put at the back of the line for almost any historical "minority" (The quotation marks is because women qualify too most places, even though women are not a minority).

Just to not be abstract - I'm a member of a party that is very focused on equal representation - this means that because I'm in my 30's, I'm white and I'm male, I am in the group of last picked, over "young" "ethnic"* "female" for any 'strategic' lists. It's also the only group that doesn't have any set goals for representation (there are goals to meet for for almost any elected position (whether popular or party)) apart from the 50+ white males - who don't need a goal because they still have represnetation from "years of experience".

Can you give me one good reason why a young/youngish white male should bear the burden of what happened before he was born?
And can you give me one good reason why a female/ethnic* of today should get preferential treatment over the abovementioned white male, for somethinng that happened to others of a similar situation (female/ethnic) in the past?

Now I can understand why some of the older people could feel a need for preferential treatment, to equalize the possible inferior treatment they have recieved previously.

I'm all for treating people equally and equal opportunity, but why should a company be worried about racism/sexism accusations in a degree that they will chose a less qualified non-white/non-male over a more qqualified white male? This is the reality in many european countries today (I won't speak for the US, but I would be surprised if it was different then).

*ethnic here simply means any non-caucasian - thats the way its being used around here when translated.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby cdan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 am

White males are the product of centuries of advantage. Its just tough luck that you are now experiencing a fraction of what other ethnic groups have faced for generation after generation.

I suggest that you get over it and instead of complaining about it I would, like the millions of people from ethnic minorities before you, find a way to work within a system that has a (in your case fractional) bias against you.

Edit: I know I sound harsh, but I get a bit fed-up of the whiney nature of white people's complaints given the amount of obstacles thrown in the path of especially black people over the years, compared to the paltry excuses for obstacles white people are currently experiencing in very isolated instances.
cdan

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am

cdan wrote:White males are the product of centuries of advantage. Its just tough luck that you are now experiencing a fraction of what other ethnic groups have faced for generation after generation.

I suggest that you get over it and instead of complaining about it I would, like the millions of people from ethnic minorities before you, find a way to work within a system that has a (in your case fractional) bias against you.

Edit: I know I sound harsh, but I get a bit fed-up of the whiney nature of white people's complaints given the amount of obstacles thrown in the path of especially black people over the years, compared to the paltry excuses for obstacles white people are currently experiencing in very isolated instances.

It's always paltry, regardless of your demographic, until you are the one facing the issue directly.

But it sounds like you justify a female VP that will only promote women, a firefighter that can never get promoted due to quotas, or a kid that can't get a job at the local fast-food place because the minority manager will only hire minorities. Yep, all justified and appropriate for past sins of the fathers.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

cdan wrote:White males are the product of centuries of advantage. Its just tough luck that you are now experiencing a fraction of what other ethnic groups have faced for generation after generation.

I get a bit fed up at people seeming to believe that it is OK to favouritise minorities over the majority just because our ancestors mistreated them. It isn't OUR (the current 20-40s) generation's) fault. WE didn't put those road-blocks up. WE didn't segregate buses, restaurants and schools. Favouritising blacks, hispanics, whomever doesn't make the world a fairer or better place. Everybody should be equal. Yes, non-whites have been disadvantaged in the past. Yes, that is abhorrent and bad. Yes, we should treat them as we treat ourselves. Nobody should benefit or lose out just because of their heritage, but why can't that go for white people too? It is the same with women's rights.

Equality does not mean we should favouritise. It means everybody has an equal chance. It does not mean that anybody should be guilt-tripped into employing a disabled black woman in her late 50s just to avoid a discrimination lawsuit (exaggerated, I know). It means that you are judged on merit. You are judged on capability. You are judged on qualifications. If that means a white male gets a job over a black male, then so be it. If it means the opposite, that the black man gets the job over the white man, then that is totally fine too. That is how it should be. If it were practicable, I would support blind, anonymous job applications. The first time the employer would see the applicant would be after the job contract is signed.

Just don't make all white people out to be responsible for the actions of their ancestors.

I suggest that you get over it

Goes to build a house made solely of glass...
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sagara » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 am

The correct answer to one extreme is never the other extreme. In fact it is not even enforcing ghe balance, because the extremes wil simply dig themselves in and find an oblique way to return.

The correct answer is always and muqt always be to build a system where the balance will be accepted as the norm, and everyone on both sides will want to be maintain it, not by force, but by choice.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:43 am

Boy this thread got stupid in a hurry..
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:45 am

Teranoid wrote:Boy this thread got stupid in a hurry..

No shit. Although I'm partially responsible for that.

Why do I always get the ball rolling on the huge thread derails?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 am

Fetzie wrote:I get a bit fed up at people seeming to believe that it is OK to favouritise minorities over the majority just because our ancestors mistreated them. It isn't OUR (the current 20-40s) generation's) fault. WE didn't put those road-blocks up. WE didn't segregate buses, restaurants and schools. Favouritising blacks, hispanics, whomever doesn't make the world a fairer or better place.

Shit like this http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20091806-19309.html and the http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html means institutional discrimination is still a fundamental construct of modern civilized society.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 am

And now for something completely different

Might be the best movie ever.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 am

Flex wrote:And now for something completely different

I heard about it on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me about a month or two ago. I'm glad to see some actual footage of it!

And indeed, it's the best thing ever!
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 am

Klaudandus wrote:

I heard about it on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me about a month or two ago. I'm glad to see some actual footage of it!

And indeed, it's the best thing ever!

Meh... no lasers.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 am

they ran out of budget.
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am

Klaudandus wrote:they ran out of budget.

They bought too many sharks. Not sure how one storm would have picked up the entire shark population of the eastern seaboard.. but that was a lot of sharks.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:16 pm

halabar wrote:
bldavis wrote:from what i read, i twas while planning her brothers wedding in 2007
not what she said 20+ years ago

And how many of us would be crucified on the public stage for any comment we made in private with family/friends? Probably most.

it wasnt made to family, it was made to the wedding planner

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 pm

this is something i should show to my sister....then again she refuses to scuba dive now because she is freaked out by the fact a great white was seen off the northern oregon coast and someone *meekly raises hand* told her they go clear up past where she normally dived at

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General