Sacred shield

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Calaban » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 am

Alcarius wrote:My personal uptime on SS varies from fight to fight. I actually throw it on the other tank during taunt swap fights to help out with damage, since they get the ridiculously big absorb bubbles if they get my SS while I have high vengeance. So, make sure you're considering things like that into your personal uptime, meaning how much it is on yourself.

This is what you should be doing all the time if not tanking!
For me this means I am around 60% of uptime on myself and 40%ish on the other tank.
But I was too lazy to make a WA for the OT until now. Might get you something around tonight or tomorrow.
Calaban

Postby Jaitee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm

theckhd wrote:I'm actually pretty bad at keeping SS up. It's one of the reasons my WeakAura for it is so "obnoxious." I tend to prioritize abilities that do DPS and refresh SS only if (a) I have a truly empty GCD or (b) it's fallen off and I'm tanking. When I'm off-tanking, I may let it drop for a while and focus on DPS until right before I'm going to taunt.

I'd probably be a lot better about it if I shifted the SS icon on my priority row over ahead of Consecration. That might be something to tweak in my setup (i.e. show it ahead of or overtop the Consecration icon, and only have it appear when the duration on SS is less than 6-8 seconds).

when im offtanking i cast SS on my offtank and recast it on myself a few seconds before ill have to taunt back since its just as powerful a tool when cast on another player exception being dot based tank swap fights where it will often absorb most of the dot on me and if i have no vengeance when it expires on them i usually wont bother refreshing it
its also handy for casting on a player who might need that extra absorb i.e on heroic jinrohk last night we had a semi pug in who was so undergeared that he couldnt survive ionization without a CD so id cast SS on him a few seconds before ionization then switch it back to me after he was dispelled
Jaitee

Postby Murrog » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm

This is probably not the most pro way to handle sacred shield but it works for me--I macro'd it to both of my holy power spenders--the shield block and the heal, so that whenever I spend holy power I am casting it.

Overkill--yes--and for that reason I do not have it similar macro'd for my ret spec, where the extra dps counts. So far I have found staying alive is the most important thing I do as a tank.
Murrog

Postby Darpalta » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Murrog wrote:This is probably not the most pro way to handle sacred shield but it works for me--I macro'd it to both of my holy power spenders--the shield block and the heal, so that whenever I spend holy power I am casting it.

Overkill--yes--and for that reason I do not have it similar macro'd for my ret spec, where the extra dps counts. So far I have found staying alive is the most important thing I do as a tank.

Its not even ideal from a survival standpoint. You'll be going from High-AP Sacred Shields to Low-AP Sacred Shields quite often. Sitting on a High-AP Sacred Shield is far better than losing a high AP value one via your macros. You're also wasting a LOT of GCDs by doing that (Sacred Shield IS on the GCD, even though WoG and ShoR aren't), which potentially lowers both your DPS and your Holy Power generation, again cutting your survivability at times and cutting your DPS at all times.
Darpalta

Postby Thels » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:29 am

Indeed, what Darpalta said. Sacred Shield is on the GCD, so your uptime of SotR suffers bigtime.

If you're really having a hard time keeping track of your SS uptime, do something like: CS > J > AS > HW > L90 > SS. That should keep your shield up, at the loss of damage only. However, it's best to use some kind of addon that warns you SS is about to run out, so you can weave them in more sensible, and keep Consecration in your DPS rotation.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Schroom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 pm

I really don't understand how anyone can possibly have a problem keeping up a buff that lasts 30 seconds and has a 6 second cooldown. I even refresh when the new SS would be at least double the absorb to the actual one, so a lot more than only keeping it up and I still have no trouble with my roation. Even at 42% haste and no downtime.
Schroom

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations