Remove Advertisements

New FFXIV

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: FFXIV New Trailer and Open Beta

Postby Nothan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah I ran to Ul'dah from Limsa Lominsa last night, wasn't too bad. I didn't know you could do battlecrafts from the other cities as well, looks like I'll be doing Ul'dah and figuring out how to get to Gridania today. My friend and I have been duoing the legion difficulty leves so far. I don't really want to be grinding though, it's very tedious that way. Do you have any tips on getting more gil? The one thing I hated about FFXI was that I couldn't find an effective way to make gil because I had none to begin with =/
Nothan

Postby d503 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 am

Nothan wrote:Yeah I ran to Ul'dah from Limsa Lominsa last night, wasn't too bad. I didn't know you could do battlecrafts from the other cities as well, looks like I'll be doing Ul'dah and figuring out how to get to Gridania today. My friend and I have been duoing the legion difficulty leves so far. I don't really want to be grinding though, it's very tedious that way. Do you have any tips on getting more gil? The one thing I hated about FFXI was that I couldn't find an effective way to make gil because I had none to begin with =/

Not really sure, since I mostly have worried about "how to level" when I was playing in Open Beta, and I haven't played much of my live account. Definitely doing your city quests helps, although they don't give you as much gil as you got in Open Beta. http://www.ffxivcore.com is a really good website with a thriving community. It might be worth trolling or posting over there.

Good luck :)
d503

Postby Nothan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

I've been reading the core forums too, but a lot of the posts aren't too helpful at the moment :P

So just to confirm, I can do all 3 cities battlecraft leves, which I'd assume is 12 leves total? Only because my friend is telling me you can only do 8 total per 36 hours.
Nothan

Postby d503 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:52 am

Nothan wrote:I've been reading the core forums too, but a lot of the posts aren't too helpful at the moment :P

So just to confirm, I can do all 3 cities battlecraft leves, which I'd assume is 12 leves total? Only because my friend is telling me you can only do 8 total per 36 hours.

Not 100% sure. I think you can only do the area's levequests every 36 hours. I'm pretty sure you should still be able to trade in your completed leves to the new city. Haven't done it myself, just found a post of a dude who was min-maxxing levequests on core.
d503

Postby Thalia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 am

I've been gathering, I made 20k yesterday from selling crafted necklaces.

You have enough money from your battle leves to buy some gathering weapons + crafting weapons.

I went and got the goldsmithing and mining leves after I finished my battle ones. Did the mining ones first then did the goldsmithing. Then I concentrated on mining for a while and searched for some recipes and crafted them.

Then at night instead of using the market ward retainer I left myself with a bazaar right outside the adventurers guild with my crafted items for sale. I went to check my char this morning and she was sold out =)

Hustle baby hustle!

At level 20 more of the main story line continues.

If you have finished all your leaves and crafting to your satisfaction start a new class so you can build up sub abilities for your main class.

Read they will be implementing NPC side quests soon, not sure when though...if on the 30th or later.
Thalia

Postby Nothan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 am

Noob question: how do you search for recipes in game? It seems like you need to put one of your ingredients in the synthesis tool window and hit main hand/offhand to pull up the recipe.

Also, how are you determining how much to sell your crafted items for? It seems like it's very hard to get a gauge on that at the moment.
Nothan

Postby Thalia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:52 am

Nothan wrote:Noob question: how do you search for recipes in game? It seems like you need to put one of your ingredients in the synthesis tool window and hit main hand/offhand to pull up the recipe.

Also, how are you determining how much to sell your crafted items for? It seems like it's very hard to get a gauge on that at the moment.

As far as the pricing goes...I suppose that's part of setting a new economy in the game. I suppose go on what you think it was worth to you.

As far as recipes, sometimes you learn what they are from doing the guildleves, it will show you how to do some, another way is looking on the official players site they have recipes there, also looking at the fan site wikis, that's what I've been doing...or you can try experimenting putting random stuff in your craft pile to see if you discover anything.
Thalia

Postby tinalt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:24 am

So after not doing any research, I made a gladiator starting in Gridania and got it up to level 5 in physical level and class level. I'm not quite sure what i need to do to start gathering or crafting.

I started to look at ffxivcore and saw that apparently I should have started off as a marauder, since people that start as gladiators and don't get a shield until later tend to be kinda gimped, since they don't learn all the shield skills.

So now I'm thinking of deleting my character and starting a new one. Possibly starting out in Ul'duh, that way I can go to the mining and blacksmithing guilds. since apparently there isn't one of either in Gridania...
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 am

Even if the guilds are not in that city you can still do that craft/class.

All you have to do is buy the tools for them. And they sell them at the blackwood stalls in Gridania, in fact all tools for all gathering/crafting/classes are sold in every city.

And if you want you can pay someone to port you to the major cities in order for you to learn the Aetherite teleport so you can go there when you really need to use the guild facilities.

I've a Goldsmith/Miner/Weaver/Thauraumage in Gridania, I'm rank 11-13 in each of those..I've been skilling up the local guildleves for the crafts and using some Regional for mining, and it's been a breeze, and I've made tons of money because I sell everything I craft overnight.

I use my reatiner as pure storage and my main character as my actual bazaar. I stand outside the adventurers guild and leave myself over night, when i go see myself in the morning everything is usually sold.
Thalia

Postby ceela » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 am

tinalt wrote:So after not doing any research, I made a gladiator starting in Gridania and got it up to level 5 in physical level and class level. I'm not quite sure what i need to do to start gathering or crafting.

I started to look at ffxivcore and saw that apparently I should have started off as a marauder, since people that start as gladiators and don't get a shield until later tend to be kinda gimped, since they don't learn all the shield skills.

So now I'm thinking of deleting my character and starting a new one. Possibly starting out in Ul'duh, that way I can go to the mining and blacksmithing guilds. since apparently there isn't one of either in Gridania...

I can sort of see that, I started Gladiator and didn't get a shield until 11-12, so now my shield skill is only 3 or 4. Still, I'm sure it'll catch up soon enough. Shields are about 10k at the moment so probably affordable quite soon for you, maybe it's not a problem.

As far as I can tell, although you can buy gathering and crafting weapons in any city, only some combat weapons are sold in each (in Gridania I've only seen archer, lancer and thaumaturge for sale from NPCs) so you might need to plan around that if you want to swap to gladiator later.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Nothan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 am

Thalia wrote:Even if the guilds are not in that city you can still do that craft/class.

All you have to do is buy the tools for them. And they sell them at the blackwood stalls in Gridania, in fact all tools for all gathering/crafting/classes are sold in every city.

And if you want you can pay someone to port you to the major cities in order for you to learn the Aetherite teleport so you can go there when you really need to use the guild facilities.

I've a Goldsmith/Miner/Weaver/Thauraumage in Gridania, I'm rank 11-13 in each of those..I've been skilling up the local guildleves for the crafts and using some Regional for mining, and it's been a breeze, and I've made tons of money because I sell everything I craft overnight.

I use my reatiner as pure storage and my main character as my actual bazaar. I stand outside the adventurers guild and leave myself over night, when i go see myself in the morning everything is usually sold.

That's what I'm starting to do, bank on retainer and sell my crafted wares on my toon overnight/at work in front of the adventurers guild. I wasn't able to sell anything in a 48 hour time period on my retainer in the wards but sold 4 items already just standing at the guild crafting.

Most of my gil has come from leve-sharing though, me and my friends trio 3* difficulty stuff at the level 10ish camps as archer/thaumaturge/conjurer and make decent gil.

What really annoys me is that from crafting/gathering, all of your gear takes durability loss, so whenever I'm not a conjurer, I take all my gear off to craft/gather (minus the undergarments, which you can't remove, but still take durability loss). Also, you can only sell 10 items at a time, wish it was more, but I guess it's slightly better than the 7 items you were allowed in FFXI to be posted on the AH.
Nothan

Postby Melathys » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:02 am

Necrobump!

New new trailer and beta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnxfrvgdqw

Got my beta invite a couple of days ago. The new FFXIV is amazing, and very well could be the "wow killer" everyone keeps waiting for. They finally decided not to break the mold when it comes to controls and UI, and brought over many aspects from wow. Some of it is very similar to wow, though maybe not quite as polished, like quest tracking. I'm trying to not get too into the game before it goes live, but its that good.
Melathys

Postby Thalia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Melathys wrote:Necrobump!

New new trailer and beta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnxfrvgdqw

Got my beta invite a couple of days ago. The new FFXIV is amazing, and very well could be the "wow killer" everyone keeps waiting for. They finally decided not to break the mold when it comes to controls and UI, and brought over many aspects from wow. Some of it is very similar to wow, though maybe not quite as polished, like quest tracking. I'm trying to not get too into the game before it goes live, but its that good.

Aergis tested it on Phase 2 Beta and he was as giddy as a school girl...no really he was. I have never seen him this giddy and super sold on a game after WoW than at that moment.

Yoshi P. has moved mountains re-doing this game and I'm so psyched for August to come!
Thalia

Postby Chunes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:41 am

Pretty curious about this.

I remember playing the first one a few years back and man, it was pretty terrible...
Chunes

Postby Melathys » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 am

A teaser from the shell I'll be with when ffxiv goes live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVqhEeA6NyA

Despite the cliffhanger there at the end, we'll be on the Hyperion server.
Melathys

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games