Remove Advertisements

Frazzled by choices.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Frazzled by choices.

Postby Nomiker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:22 pm

I was recently invited to tank for a guild that works on 10H ToT, after having only cleared Jin'rokh on normal for a few weeks. I was dragged through, picked up the fights, got wrecked on a few heroics and got some new items. I severely under gear the rest of the raid and sometimes the content it feels like. I would be interested to hear what I can possibly do to fix my gear to minimize the amount of damage I take from this content (and still hold threat) or what pieces that I won I can swap my current gear with.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Nomiker/advanced
This is my tank, I can list the gear that I won if needed, or it is in my news tab. I also have a 496 tier shoulder token that I had not turned in yet, that I was thinking I might need to use to keep the set bonus.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Nomiker

Re: Frazzled by choices.

Postby Kelerei » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

I took a quick look -- in my opinion, the only significant issue is that you undergear the content you're attempting! :)

A few tips:

• You may want to go more stamina heavy for HC content with your current gear. This is a subjective thing, and you'll need to work out what's best for both you and your healers, but if you'd like to know why I suggest this, give this pounding headache post a read.
  • Personally, I wouldn't go with stam/mastery gems -- but I don't raid HC content, so your mileage there may vary.
  • Ideally, you'd want to pick up gear with hit/exp/haste/mastery, but take what you can for now. Avoidance isn't terrible, but it's definitely sub-par.
  • Threat these days should only be an issue on tank swaps, and all you need there is a combination of Hand of Salvation and/or a co-operative co-tank.

Hope this helps. :)
Kelerei

Postby Thels » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 am

Assuming you are undergeared and the rest of the raid is not, stamina is by far the best option for now, relying on the rest of the raid to do the damage. This shouldn't provide any single target threat issues. It might provide AoE threat issues, but tanking is a two man job. Perhaps you can figure out with your co-tank that he handles the AoE packs until you're geared a little better.

Note that if you go the stamina route, first put on two stamina trinkets (if you have decent ones), then put Sha Armor Kits on your gloves and feet (since you're not running Pandaren's Step anyhow). Only once you have both of that covered, should you start gemming for stamina, as the stamina gain from gems is weaker than from trinkets and enchants. Just put Stamina/Haste in every yellow socket and Stamina/Expertise in every red one, as with your current gear, you can benefit from the socket bonuses quite well.

Also, make sure you have Hit at 7.5% and Expertise at 15%. After that, reforge everything to Haste, then Mastery.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Nomiker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:22 am

Thank you very much! I will take it all into consideration, including that terribly long and thorough stamina post. :<
Nomiker

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice