Tribes: Ascend

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Tribes: Ascend

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 am

Tribes: Ascend is a new fast paced skill based shooter from HiRez studios.
It is free to play, free to download

variety of gameplay styles from CTF (capture the flag), Arena, Team Deathmatch, and CAH (capture and hold, think AB/BfG but with near instant caps)

by fast paced i mean as a light class you can go upwards of 200km/hr
most weapons are projectile based (only hit-scan weapons are the sentinel's (ie sniper) rifle and 2 unlockable pistols)

weapons include anything from an explosive bolt launching crossbow of a few sizes (bolt launchers) to SMGs to grenade launchers to one of my favorites the fusion mortar
one of the most iconic though is the spinfuser
it launches an explosive disk at high speeds with no arc

light classes:
pathfinder - flag grabber, high speed/decent armorment
sentinel - sniper, main hit scan weapon (not projectile flight time, no leading needed)
infiltrator - think rogue with sticky grenades

medium classes:
soldier - basic grunt, slower then pathfinder, but more health and similar armorment
raider - all round base destroyer, nice health and nasty weapons
technician - closest thing tribes has to a healer, base fixer you job is to protect your bases radar/turrets/generator

heavy classes:
brute - big nasty with powerful weapons, slow as hell (as all heavies are) but can wreck anyone else if you get in range
doombringer - my personal main class, flag defense with forcefields and unlockable mines, and a chaingun
juggernaut - artillery in soldier form. big and slow, but you can hit from half a map away, big explosive weapons

one of the most important things to know is that all but the sentinel's rifles are projectile based, so you have to lead the target and when you get light classes going 250+ km/hr (over 100 m/hr) it can be interesting to try to hit at times
it is fairly fun with a variety of ways to play even within a single mode

one of your most important skills is called skiing, using hills(boot rockets reduce friction and let you slide) and your jet pack to get to insane speeds

i will add a link to HiRez as well as the wiki
and i can try to answer any question you have

so anyone else play?
if interested and you dont play currently,
Join me in Tribes:Ascend by signing up now! My player name is "Catagon". Click here to get started for FREE: https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1518447&utm_campaign=email (yes i am using the email friend referral :P)

edit1: added links
edit2: corrected hit scan weapons statement
Last edited by bldavis on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Tribes: Ascend

Postby Gab » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Played Tribes and Tribes 2 back in HS. They were a lot of fun, always preferred them over UT. I had all but forgotten about the games, might have to give this one a try. If I do, I'll definitely use your referral scheme.
Gab

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Gab wrote:Played Tribes and Tribes 2 back in HS. They were a lot of fun, always preferred them over UT. I had all but forgotten about the games, might have to give this one a try. If I do, I'll definitely use your referral scheme.

:D
i actually got interested after watching TotalBiscuit do a WTF is.... video for it, as well as a few update videos

so far i am having a blast in it, though my PC is a bit laggy and so i dont dare try one of the faster classes, but playing a doombringer and getting a kill when someone runs into you trying to grab the flag always makes me giggle :twisted:

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 pm

SHAZBOT!

Pretty good necro here, but damn is this game fun.

Just hit lvl 12 last night. Anyone playing this?
Chunes

Postby bldavis » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:01 pm

over a year...i had actually forgotten about this thread!

bldavis

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm

The funny (sad?) thing is that it was still on page 1 of this subforum :o
Chunes

Postby bldavis » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Chunes wrote:The funny (sad?) thing is that it was still on page 1 of this subforum :o

well this is a wow based forum...
so what class are you playing?

i tried getting back into it with the recent changes, and i am a bit torn
doom is still fun, but there are so goddam many raiders just constantly making your life hell its not worth even trying to be a doom
every match i played i had 5+ guys for every defender...the longest i lasted as doom was about 2 min, and that was picking off high flying scouts? the flag runners..and air vehicles.

bldavis

Postby Chunes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 am

bldavis wrote:
Chunes wrote:The funny (sad?) thing is that it was still on page 1 of this subforum :o

well this is a wow based forum...
so what class are you playing?

i tried getting back into it with the recent changes, and i am a bit torn
doom is still fun, but there are so goddam many raiders just constantly making your life hell its not worth even trying to be a doom
every match i played i had 5+ guys for every defender...the longest i lasted as doom was about 2 min, and that was picking off high flying scouts? the flag runners..and air vehicles.

Depending on what things are looking like, I ideally go PFCapper > DoomHoF = PFChaser > Offenseive Jugg.

Raiders are definitely a pain in the ass and if I'm the only one on D because of "LOL I CAP K GUISE" mentality in 7+ players already, I'll either go baserape as jugg or try to get better at Inf or Raider while I wait for the game to hurry up and end.
Chunes

Postby Aubade » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:31 pm

The thing about this subforum is that everyone posts in the same 5-10 threads, and not many new threads get created haha.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby bldavis » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm

yeah for me its pretty much HOF doom or offensive jugg

there are times i swear i had a huge ass beacon on my head showing every since PF and raider where i was as jugg though

bldavis

Postby Chunes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 am

I watched a video yesterday of a really good stand defense soldier player. Got really inspired to give that a try. Proximity grenade, energy recharge pack, automatic rifle + thumper, reach + heavyweight looked like a ton of fun.

It's basically a slightly more mobile "HoF" type of gameplay that hinges more on getting good chains and nades out while the capper is incoming, then either airmailing them with the thumper or killing them with a roided out body block when they try and grab.

Dude went on like a 15 kill streak just raping cappers as they came in at 200+ km/h.

:o
Chunes

Return to Other Games