Obligatory PS4/XboxOne/WiiU thread

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Obligatory PS4/XboxOne/WiiU thread

Postby Invisusira » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 am

At this point, Halo 5 will have to include an actual Warthog to warrant purchasing an Xbox.

So, we finally here? The last gen of consoles?

Discuss.
Invisusira

Re: Obligatory PS4/XboxOne/WiiU thread

Postby Flex » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 am

Pretty sure this is the last generation of consoles as really only one (if the Wii U ever starts selling I'll start thinking about it) being gaming focused. Xbox One is just trying to be the everything box for the living room but why would people spend $500 on a new Netflix box?

Personally I'm just waiting for the Apple TV to get growed up, get support for gaming controllers and a robust API that allows for easy porting of existing iOS games.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm not a console gamer, to be honest - I'm fine just playing on PC - but if I was the PS4 is certainly looking like the best of the options right now.

Last gen of consoles is possible, what with various PC-based gaming boxes on the horizon, the rise of mobile gaming, and the general convergence of PCs, media players, and smart TVs.

Also: lolWiiU. I notice the supposed "backtrack" from EA about WiiU games still didn't say they'd develop any, just that they were watching and willing to change their mind if it suddenly transforms into a viable platform.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby aureon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:03 am

I don't think an E3 was THIS won since PS1 299$ against Sega genesis or something.

If by some miracle FF XV and KH3 get out for PC, i won't even buy a console: Else, PS4.
aureon

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 am

Sega Saturn. Which I chose over the PS solely based on SF:A load times. Worth it!

The constant stream of "How do I do X with the Xbone?" being met with "You should get a 360" from actual MS PR is mindboggling.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm personally pissed at both gaming platforms.

Announced prices in the US:
Xbox One: $499
PS4: $399

Current conversion rate between US and NZ dollar: .80531

Converted prices:

Xbox One: $619.64
PS4: $495.46

Announced prices for NZ:

Xbox One: $799 bullshit profiteering net: $179.36
PS4: $699 bullshit profiteering net: $203.54
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 pm

They do that everywhere. Prices aren't based on conversion, they're based on what they think each market will accept. They know people in the countries with a mark up will still buy the thing, because they do it all the time.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Levantine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:52 am

Man, and I though Australia was getting pretty shafted. That's rank, even with the weak NZ$.
Levantine

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:They do that everywhere. Prices aren't based on conversion, they're based on what they think each market will accept. They know people in the countries with a mark up will still buy the thing, because they do it all the time.

This market is going to keep on using his XB360, because I am not buying either of them at grossly inflated prices.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Chunes » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm

I may consider grabbing a ps4 at some point.

I bought a 360 solely to play through the various halo single player games I missed due to years stuck in WoW (lolwut, i know...), but i can't even justify that now having seen the shitstorm surrounding xbone, not to mention the dismal state of the halo franchise since bungie bowed out of the picture.

If Kojima goes through with it and makes MGS:V a decent port for the PC, then there will really be no reason to buy the PS4 for me unless netflix somehow stops working on the PS3.

finally, lolWiiU.
Chunes

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 am

Koatanga wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:They do that everywhere. Prices aren't based on conversion, they're based on what they think each market will accept. They know people in the countries with a mark up will still buy the thing, because they do it all the time.

This market is going to keep on using his XB360, because I am not buying either of them at grossly inflated prices.

What about import costs? And shipping? I'm not surprised they're more expensive in a country they're neither manufactured in nor developed by.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 am

Doesn't fully account for the price differences. (That one's about the UK price, but same idea.)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Aubade » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 am

I'm looking forward to my Ps4. Gonna be awesome! I think The Last Of Us will be the last current-console generation game I buy new. I'll wait on the rest for Ps4 releases! I might pick up an XBox One after a year or two. I'm expecting them to change their tune on a lot of their decisions after the wave of bad sales.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Shoju » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:19 am

I received a Wii about 5 years ago when I graduated College. I love it. It has games the kids like, It has games I like, and I can still play my GC games in it.

but, if I'm "really" gaming, I'm busting out my Dreamcast. I've not seen a "real" reason to upgrade. I still have tons of games, and until recently, I was still able to go online to play some games with it.

Nothing about the XB or PS#whatever has made me say "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT!"

And, it probably wont change. I came close on a 360. I had thought about it, if only to play with a couple of friends. But the price just kills it for me everytime.
Shoju

Postby Zalaria » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Koatanga wrote:I'm personally pissed at both gaming platforms.

Announced prices in the US:
Xbox One: $499
PS4: $399

Current conversion rate between US and NZ dollar: .80531

Converted prices:

Xbox One: $619.64
PS4: $495.46

Announced prices for NZ:

Xbox One: $799 bullshit profiteering net: $179.36
PS4: $699 bullshit profiteering net: $203.54

I read somewhere that since the PS4 won't be region-locked, you can just buy a US one from Amazon and have them ship it to you.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Other Games