Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:17 am

Gruck wrote:- gem/reforge for control/haste (don't always try to get the socket bonus. first consider if it's worth using hybrid gems. If not, go straight haste)

That only applies if you're over Hit and Expertise cap, and unable to reforge it away.

As long as you can gem a little hit or expertise, and have no problems reforging yourself to just above the caps, ALL socket bonuses are worthwhile, including Crit.

Free stats are free stats. :)
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Tbickle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

Hello

I'm a new Protection Paladin (this is my first character, actually). I'm running LFR and recently changed to control/haste (was control/mastery) using 2 stam trinkets.
Should I use a haste trinket (LFR spark of zandalar) instead?
The VP DPS Chest from Shado-Pan Assault will be good for me or should I spend my VP with something else (gloves maybe)?
Any other advice?
Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/n ... n/advanced

Thank you! :D
Tbickle

Postby Gruck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Thels wrote:
Gruck wrote:- gem/reforge for control/haste (don't always try to get the socket bonus. first consider if it's worth using hybrid gems. If not, go straight haste)

That only applies if you're over Hit and Expertise cap, and unable to reforge it away.

As long as you can gem a little hit or expertise, and have no problems reforging yourself to just above the caps, ALL socket bonuses are worthwhile, including Crit.

True. Of course, for control/haste build, if there is an exp. or hit bonus, go get it. I was referring to things like parry or avoidance, which is not worth getting.
Gruck

Postby econ21 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:24 am

Tbickle wrote:... using 2 stam trinkets.
Should I use a haste trinket (LFR spark of zandalar) instead?

You are using the same trinkets as me. I like the cushion provided by stamina, even in LFR (can't rely on those healers sometimes), and trinkets are the most efficient place to get it.

The VP DPS Chest from Shado-Pan Assault will be good for me or should I spend my VP with something else (gloves maybe)?

I never saw it as a dps chest. It's expertise/hit, right? We need those stats. It's a great chest; I'm wearing it. I would not prioritise the gloves - you may get lucky on Nalak.
econ21

Postby Tbickle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, the expertise/hit one. I think if I change my chest for this one I will lose almost 1% haste.
I see people saying we should prioritize stamina on 25m and try to balance it with secondary stat on 10m, that applies to LFR too?

Thank you :D
Tbickle

Postby econ21 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Tbickle wrote:Yeah, the expertise/hit one. I think if I change my chest for this one I will lose almost 1% haste.
I see people saying we should prioritize stamina on 25m and try to balance it with secondary stat on 10m, that applies to LFR too?

Ah, ok, did not notice it was the ret LFR chest. Stuff in LFR generally hits less hard than in 10m, so I guess it's a lower priority there than even 10m. However, how much health you need is also a function of how good your healers are and by the nature of LFR, I think that's rather unreliable. Also, a big plus for haste is more dps, but I am not sure how important that is for a tank in LFR. My priority there is more to endure through Durumu and Lei Shen, rather than provide extra dps. A tank death can wipe a try but I doubt a shortage of a few k dps would make a difference.

If you are comfortable with your survivability in LFR, then it's fine to stay with the Ret LFR chest for more dps. But typically I would take a 522 piece over a 502 one and the vp chest seems the best failsafe one whereas the hands you'd probably switch for the tier ones from Nalak given a chance.
econ21

Postby Tbickle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm fine with my survivability actually... I'll upgrade some items first and buy the chest later.

Thank you very much
Tbickle

Postby Gab » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:45 am

Gruck wrote:True. Of course, for control/haste build, if there is an exp. or hit bonus, go get it. I was referring to things like parry or avoidance, which is not worth getting.

Even dodge/parry/mastery/stam (and crit on belt) bonuses are worth picking up with a haste/hit or haste/exp gem in almost all cases. It's still "free" stats as long as you are able to reforge down to hit/exp caps.

The only exceptions would be if you are at a point where you are over hit/exp caps and unable to reforge enough of it away or where you have sub optimal reforges such as having to reforge smaller amounts of hit/exp instead of larger amounts of dodge/parry to get down closer to the caps. I'm at 535 and still not at either of those points but YMMV depending on what you're wearing.

Edit Quick re-gem/re-forge Full haste vs current set up of hitting bonuses:

Full haste:
+620 haste

-120 crit
-120 dodge
-300 parry
-360 strength
-780 mastery

Wanted to double check after making that statement. Guess I was mistaken... Although still a worthwhile trade off imo considering I'm already at a 1 second GCD raid buffed. At lower gear levels it's probably an even bigger benefit considering the initial difficulty in reaching both hit and especially exp cap. Really hinges on current gear though, should be a case by case basis.

Armory link for reference, although I did the regemming/reforging on AMR with Ji-Kun's Rising Wind (522) instead of Dark Mist Vortex and 530 tier shoulders instead of 543 tier shoulders.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Gabbed/advanced
Last edited by Gab on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gab

Postby Thels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Gruck wrote:
Thels wrote:

True. Of course, for control/haste build, if there is an exp. or hit bonus, go get it. I was referring to things like parry or avoidance, which is not worth getting.

You're missing my point. I wasn't talking about getting a Hit or Expertise bonus. I was talking about an avoidance or crit bonus.

If you normally gem full Haste for gems, those are likely still worth getting, as you can swap your full Haste gem for a Haste/Hit or Haste/Expertise gem, and reforge some Hit or Expertise on your gear to Haste.

Even if you normally gem full Stamina after Hit/Expertise cap, you still likely want to get them, as the Stamina/Hit (Even though both Stamina and Hit are blue stats, Stamina/Hit is green) and Stamina/Expertise gems allow you to fill out all the socket bonuses as well.

The only exceptions are when you have so much Hit or Expertise on gear/gems, that you can't reforge the excess Hit or Expertise away.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Thels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Gab wrote:
Gruck wrote:Wanted to double check after making that statement. Guess I was mistaken... Although still a worthwhile trade off imo considering I'm already at a 1 second GCD raid buffed. At lower gear levels it's probably an even bigger benefit considering the initial difficulty in reaching both hit and especially exp cap. Really hinges on current gear though, should be a case by case basis.

Armory link for reference, although I did the regemming/reforging on AMR with Ji-Kun's Rising Wind (522) instead of Dark Mist Vortex and 530 tier shoulders instead of 543 tier shoulders.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Gabbed/advanced

There are two reasons why it doesn't work completely:

1) You already have haste on a lot of pieces. You can't reforge stats to haste, but you can reforge stats to hit/expertise on those slots. If you need less hit/expertise from reforges, then it means it'll reforge those stats towards Mastery, rather than Haste.

2) AskMrRobot often plainly just calculates wrong.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Gab » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 am

Thels wrote:There are two reasons why it doesn't work completely:

1) You already have haste on a lot of pieces. You can't reforge stats to haste, but you can reforge stats to hit/expertise on those slots. If you need less hit/expertise from reforges, then it means it'll reforge those stats towards Mastery, rather than Haste.

2) AskMrRobot often plainly just calculates wrong.

1) Right, that's what I was getting at, just wasn't aware that I was at the point where I was getting some sub optimal reforges (sub optimal is probably a bad term... I'm just not getting as much haste and getting more avoidance but at these haste/gear levels that's not really "sub optimal"). Ignorance is bliss, although like I said I still think it's a worthwhile trade considering the benefit of haste after reaching GCD haste cap is marginaly worse than prior to reaching 1 second GCDs.

2) Sure it does, but I did it all manually. I should have added that those are approximate values since I had to fiddle with some hit and expertise and didn't wind up at the exact same values with both gemming strats. It was more or less just a quick check for reference.
Gab

Postby Thels » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:38 am

Gab wrote:Ignorance is bliss, although like I said I still think it's a worthwhile trade considering the benefit of haste after reaching GCD haste cap is marginaly worse than prior to reaching 1 second GCDs.

Actually, aren't you quite a bit away from 1 second GCDs? You armory shows you at 30.12% Melee Haste, and while I'm guessing you recently got new shoulders who still need gemming, and might have a second Haste trinket, I doubt that'll tilt you all the way to 50% Melee Haste...
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Gab » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 am

1.3*1.05*1.1 = 1.5015

Raid buffed with spell haste and SoI spell haste

I think I'm calculating correctly?

Edit: Yeah you're correct. SoB reduces GCD with melee haste, not spell haste... oops.
Gab

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 am

Ji'Kuns is best used as the disenchanted Sha Crystal and haunting spirit to enchant your weapon with Dancing Steel and build some almost BiS boots.

The proc is so shite, you are basically using a trinket slot for 1200 expertise. You're better off sticking a Ghost Iron Dragonling in the slot (it gives you 1800 stat points instead of 1200)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice