Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Aina » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Thanks for all the awesome replies.

<3 these boards :)
Aina

Postby Ignus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:51 pm

arent I supposed to be saying thanks for the responses? XD

thank you btw, answers my question.
If you invest all of your talents, all of your gear, all of your knowledge and skill into tanking, you should be the best tank.
Ignus
Maintankadonor

Postby Eloff » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:54 pm

How would Block Value compare to Armor? Has anyone done any research on this?

I think I made a lenghty post on the subject in a poorly titled thread.

Basically, yes. For any given incoming hit, you can do a DIRECT comparison between the values of +block value and armor. The problem is that you have to keep doing this comparison as the value of the incoming hit goes up or down. That's why I love excel.

(There's a bit math on the 3rd tab of my gear spreadsheet that allows for some easy block value / armor comparisons...)
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Aina » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:11 am

Ignus wrote:arent I supposed to be saying thanks for the responses? XD

thank you btw, answers my question.

Yeah sorry, I kinda hijacked your threat :p
Aina

Postby Atreidies » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:44 pm

I already posted the quote from the warrior forums in your thread on the Rate My Spec forums, but I figured I'd toss something in extra that I learned today while browsing the EJ forums. 15% of all boss attacks will be crushing blows, that is a relative constant. Because of our avoidance, and 'uncrushability' when Holy Shield is active, we reduce the number of opportunities for a boss level mob to land normal strikes against us. Case in point, let's say you have 70% avoidance w/o Holy Shield amd you take 100 attacks from a lvl 73 boss mob. Statistically you will block/dodge/parry or be missed on 70 of those 100 attacks, 15 of them will land a normal blow, and 15 will therefore be crushing. What is interesting about this, is that the higher your avoidance % goes, the higher the percentage of unmitigated attacks you recieve will crush. In the above scenario, you took 30 attacks completely unmitigated, 15 of which crushed, meaning 50% of your unmitigated attacks were crushing. While in a real scenario the actual number of unmitigated blows would be much lower, yes you are still crushable when spamming Holy Shield inbetween refreshes, lag is a lovely thing, the actual chance to recieve a crushing blow will be considerably high. If you devalue a talent such as Toughness, you are further limiting your ability to mitigate damage, especially when dealing with boss level mobs that can and will crush you.
Atreidies

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations