Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 pm

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2621 ... d-preview/

Raids in World of Warcraft have a long history of not just challenging players, but changing and evolving as the years and expansions go by. As with everything in the game, we’re always thinking about what more we can bring to raiding to improve the experience for an even wider range of players. While Normal and Heroic Raids are a great fit for many, we feel there’s another gap worth filling—and to that end, we’re currently working on the development of a new type of Raid for the next major content update: Flexible Raiding.

One Size Does Not Fit All

While it’s impossible to fit every player into a neat, tidy archetype, we recognize that we could be providing a better experience to one broad category of raider: social groups comprised predominantly of friends and family, and smaller guilds that do their best to include as many members in their Raid outings possible.

During the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, the 10-player Normal difficulty served these groups of players pretty well, but the unification of 10-player and 25-player into a single difficulty effectively eliminated that niche. While Raid Finder mode is extremely accessible, it doesn’t provide smaller groups with a tight-knit social experience while progressing through the content. In Patch 5.4, we’re planning to introduce a new mode of raiding that allows us to deliver the sort of experience that we think these players are looking for..

/Flex

To fill this void, we’re in the process of developing a new Flexible Raid system, which includes a new difficulty that sits between Raid Finder and Normal difficulty, while still allowing friends, family, or pick-up groups to play together. This difficulty will be available for premade groups of 10–25 players, including any number in between. That means whether you have 11, 14, or 23 friends available for a Raid, they’ll all be able to participate.

The Flexible Raid system is designed so that the challenge level will scale depending on how many players you have in the Raid. So if you switch between 14 players one week and 22 the next, the difficulty will adjust automatically. Keep in mind that unlike Raid Finder, no matchmaking is available, so you’ll need to make sure you invite people to attend—but if some can’t make it, it’s not the end of the world (or the Raid). You’ll also still be able to invite Real ID or Battle.net friends cross-realm. Who you choose to bring and what Item Level gear they’ll need to join your merry band is up to you, too—there’s no Item Level requirement for this Raid difficulty.

Dressed to Kill

A new Raid difficulty also means a new Item Level. Flexible mode will award loot with an Item Level that falls between Raid Finder and Normal quality, and will use the Raid Finder’s “per person” loot system, specialization choices, and bonus rolls, so you won’t need to worry about bringing the “wrong” person and having them win that piece of gear you’ve long been waiting for.

You Have the Keys

We plan to unlock the Flexible Raid difficulty in wings, similar to Raid Finder, but on an accelerated timetable. This new difficulty also has a separate Raid lockout from Raid Finder and Normal difficulty, allowing you to take part in all three if you so desire. You’ll also be able to complete portions of your “Glory of the Orgrimmar Raider” raid meta- achievement in Flexible mode as well as in Normal or Heroic to earn cosmetic rewards such as an epic mount. This will allow Raid groups the opportunity to switch off nights between raids to complete achievements. Finally, taking part in Flexible, Normal, or Heroic difficulty will provide access to additional rewards that won’t be available in Raid Finder.

Getting Down to Brass Tacks

As with any in-development feature, we’re continuing to refine how the Flexible Raid system will work, and we look forward to hearing your constructive feedback from your experiences on the Public Test Realm when the new system goes live.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Re: Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid!

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Looks pretty awesome at a first glance.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Ezharon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm already hearing people complaining about how they are forced to do both lfr and flex each week (for stuff or valor or <insert what you want here>)
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 pm

fuck them! I'd rather do this than LFR.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Ezharon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Yeah I'm actually thinking flex will be what lfr should have been. Why creating a 4th difficulty level?
Ezharon

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 pm

It's actually taking the place of what 10mans used to be in Wrath, being easier and with a lower ilvl, 'cept that you can have as many people as you want in the raid rather than just 10
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:22 pm

It is also something to do if you only get 21 sign-ups, or a way to check out trials without having to tell a member they have to pass in order to test a trial.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Ezharon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm

They get rid of separate 10 and 25 lockouts of Wrath but they insert a 4th difficulty level? Don't get me wrong I like the idea of flex but I'm not sure it's a good idea to create a 4th difficulty level on separate lockout.
Ezharon

Postby Marilee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm

I caused this with my 19 page thread. :P

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 046?page=1

Woot.
Marilee

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm

but that's what it was for most of Wrath. 10 and 25s on separate lockouts... then it got crazy in TOC where you had 4 different lockouts.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Darielle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 pm

It's going to be a clusterfuck for people barely in Normals or on the brige between Normal and Heroic. Especially if they do winged releases, and even more so if their winged releases affect Normal.
Darielle

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Look, I know some people like it... but jesus christ, four different difficulty levels? What happens when LFR is too easy and Flex is too hard? Make another one in between? (You laugh, but there were plenty of people laughing at the idea of a mode between LFR and normal.)

That being said, I do heartily support this over LFR as it at least brings back some sense of community and friendship and encourages people to participate in raiding on their same server TOGETHER.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Look, I know some people like it... but jesus christ, four different difficulty levels? What happens when LFR is too easy and Flex is too hard? Make another one in between? (You laugh, but there were plenty of people laughing at the idea of a mode between LFR and normal.)

That being said, I do heartily support this over LFR as it at least brings back some sense of community and friendship and encourages people to participate in raiding on their same server TOGETHER.

Remember it's also invite only, but works cross-realm. So it is an option to raid with friends on other realms on current content.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby bldavis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm

i could see this as a way to raid with some of my friends from my first realm again...

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sagara » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Next stop: cross-faction!

The concept is strong and will fill the hole that killed my former guild. It's probably going to be rough around the edges and need a few iterations, but I don't see any deal-killer.

EDIT: A revelation came to me: with Flexible raids, what purpose is there left for Normal Raiding? Could NMs eventually fade out in favor of LFR > Flex > HM ?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Next

Return to General