The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Newsom » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:33 am

Koatanga wrote:I'd love to see equipment colouring. If you like a certain gear style, but it doesn't *quite* fit with your colour scheme, just dye it to match.


This would be awesome. Not gonna happen though, I think transmogrification is as close as we'll ever get.

Edit: hmm, would be cool if scribes could make dyes. Would give them something to do if Blizzard decides to get rid of the stupid glyph system.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
User avatar
Newsom
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:43 am

Big new unannounced feature: You can now play Hearthstone while you're playing World of Warcraft.!
Image
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Worldie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:59 am

PsiVen wrote:
Worldie wrote:It's different. Allowing you to re-run low level content just makes you have extra stuff to do, without consuming developer resources.
Re-tuning stuff actually requires time and dedication from developers.


Unfortunately they have no way out of that. They need to drastically overhaul how they define tuning parameters in order to make old content somewhat challenging again, and allow it to downscale properly. Right now, if you throw a full raid of level 70s in dungeon blues at Sunwell Plateau they will make mincemeat of the place with little effort required. Each successive content patch has been building this problem.

But ultimately, if they go through the trouble of overhauling their code and tuning, they can make their system more future-proof and less headache-inducing to rebalance. Fully implemented content scaling would allow for a great many things like leveling raids, sidekicking, old challenge runs for VP, moving dungeons around in the curve, etc.

That's true and something I hadn't thought of.

Well, what can I say, we'll see what they have in the oven for us.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13433
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby halabar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 am

Worldie wrote:
PsiVen wrote:
Worldie wrote:It's different. Allowing you to re-run low level content just makes you have extra stuff to do, without consuming developer resources.
Re-tuning stuff actually requires time and dedication from developers.


Unfortunately they have no way out of that. They need to drastically overhaul how they define tuning parameters in order to make old content somewhat challenging again, and allow it to downscale properly. Right now, if you throw a full raid of level 70s in dungeon blues at Sunwell Plateau they will make mincemeat of the place with little effort required. Each successive content patch has been building this problem.

But ultimately, if they go through the trouble of overhauling their code and tuning, they can make their system more future-proof and less headache-inducing to rebalance. Fully implemented content scaling would allow for a great many things like leveling raids, sidekicking, old challenge runs for VP, moving dungeons around in the curve, etc.

That's true and something I hadn't thought of.

Well, what can I say, we'll see what they have in the oven for us.


And it will probably be half-baked...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 am

maybe it's a tasty cake! Shaped like a pony!
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 am

Universal raid sizes for anywhere between 10 and 25 players.

Boss damage is scaled based on number of healers with the floor at 10 normal.
Mob health is scaled based on number of DPS with the floor at 10 normal.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:27 am

Flex wrote:Universal raid sizes for anywhere between 10 and 25 players.

Boss damage is scaled based on number of healers with the floor at 10 normal.
Mob health is scaled based on number of DPS with the floor at 10 normal.


and the loot drops are guaranteed to piss off some vocal group.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:30 am

benebarba wrote:
Flex wrote:Universal raid sizes for anywhere between 10 and 25 players.

Boss damage is scaled based on number of healers with the floor at 10 normal.
Mob health is scaled based on number of DPS with the floor at 10 normal.


and the loot drops are guaranteed to piss off some vocal group.


That's different from now how? ICC had our one druid and one rogue in 3 sets of tier gear before the warriors, shaman, hunter had a full set.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby benebarba » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:44 am

Flex wrote:
benebarba wrote:
Flex wrote:Universal raid sizes for anywhere between 10 and 25 players.

Boss damage is scaled based on number of healers with the floor at 10 normal.
Mob health is scaled based on number of DPS with the floor at 10 normal.


and the loot drops are guaranteed to piss off some vocal group.


That's different from now how? ICC had our one druid and one rogue in 3 sets of tier gear before the warriors, shaman, hunter had a full set.


good point, that wouldn't be a new feature.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:52 am

Flex wrote:That's different from now how? ICC had our one druid and one rogue in 3 sets of tier gear before the warriors, shaman, hunter had a full set.


Half my raid is conq token. Yeah, the one with the lowest drop rate. We've been sharding vanq tokens for months,
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Amirya » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm surprised no one's figured out what it is yet.

Srsly, it's the long awaited Dance Studio.

Or the Razing of Goldshire.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:38 am

Amirya wrote:I'm surprised no one's figured out what it is yet.

Srsly, it's the long awaited Dance Studio.

Or the Razing of Goldshire.

The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby lythac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 am

Cross server mailing of BoAs.
Cross server arena teams.
CRZ auction houses (merging of low servers).
Cross faction older raids.

I guess it is something aimed at helping lower population realms.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby halabar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 am

GC tweeted about it a few times yesterday, trying to corral the runaway speculation train... he shoulda done that long ago, or kept his mouth shut. :D Now it seems like he's not gonna say which feature is the "unannounced one" once 5.4 does hit the PTR.. :lol:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby benebarba » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am

halabar wrote:GC tweeted about it a few times yesterday, trying to corral the runaway speculation train... he shoulda done that long ago, or kept his mouth shut. :D Now it seems like he's not gonna say which feature is the "unannounced one" once 5.4 does hit the PTR.. :lol:


I'm amazed they let it go this long... seriously, PR folks spend a lot of time managing hype so as to not get a widespread 'meh' when you inevitably fail to impress. I suspect whatever it is will elicit a 'oh neat' at best. :P
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], honorshammer, Skye1013 and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 6 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], honorshammer, Skye1013 and 1 guest