Remove Advertisements

The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby halabar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 am

What I think it will be: option to scale down your gear to fight old raids "at level" (they are doing a lot of gear scaling these days)

What I want it to be: iOS app that allows some limited in-game actions (fishing, pet battles, etc)

/discuss
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: The big new unannounced feature in 5.4

Postby Worldie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:21 am

I'm thinking we might see player housing or something similar.

What I'd want though: Mentoring would also be a viable option and a good use of the scaling technology they introduced in Pandaria. Being able to queue for dungeons with your friend who just joined or with alts of friends would be much funnier than just mindlessly boosting them through.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am

I don't think we'll see a house, as that's pretty much already in game. Just a few modifications and it's a more customizable.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:07 pm

halabar wrote:What I think it will be: option to scale down your gear to fight old raids "at level" (they are doing a lot of gear scaling these days)

That would be a dream for me. If they awarded valor (and lesser charms?) for it, I think it would be a hit - alternative path for valor and transmog gear. Should be enough to get people to run it.

Worldie wrote:I'm thinking we might see player housing or something similar.

Fuck player housing.
Paxen

Postby Teranoid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:54 pm

I've never understood the support for scaling down old stuff especially when most of them are the same people who bitched about ZA/ZG/Ony/Naxx and called it "rehashed content"
Teranoid

Postby Worldie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:38 pm

It's different. Allowing you to re-run low level content just makes you have extra stuff to do, without consuming developer resources.
Re-tuning stuff actually requires time and dedication from developers.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Teranoid wrote:I've never understood the support for scaling down old stuff especially when most of them are the same people who bitched about ZA/ZG/Ony/Naxx and called it "rehashed content"

I have no desire for it either, but from hints, I'm pretty sure that's what we are getting. It would be really fun if the forced it, and hordes of pet collectors everywhere cried out in one of the greatest QQs of all time.

I also have no desire for player housing, unless it's tied to an iOS app where you have other things you can do there.

halabar

Postby Teranoid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Which is exactly why I'm keeping my expectations low. I couldn't care less about it if indeed that's what it is but to be honest I'm not even sure if I'll be getting the next expansion. I'm already back to the Cataclysm esque valor capped on Tuesday do next to nothing the rest of the week.
Teranoid

Postby halabar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Teranoid wrote:Which is exactly why I'm keeping my expectations low. I couldn't care less about it if indeed that's what it is but to be honest I'm not even sure if I'll be getting the next expansion. I'm already back to the Cataclysm esque valor capped on Tuesday do next to nothing the rest of the week.

Yeah, unless Blizz pulls something truly amazing out of it's ass, there's going to be massive disappointment regardless of what it is. There's been too much hype about it already, without any info, that there will be a bunch of rage quitting just because it isn't amazing, and an equal amount of rage from the true Blizz fanboys.

halabar

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Player housing in WoW has always seemed entirely pointless to me. I have no idea why people are so fixated on it.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:24 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Player housing in WoW has always seemed entirely pointless to me. I have no idea why people are so fixated on it.

Right there with you.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Player housing in WoW has always seemed entirely pointless to me. I have no idea why people are so fixated on it.

Right there with you.

A small but vocal minority... probably a lot of the RPers.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:20 pm

halabar wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

Right there with you.

A small but vocal minority... probably a lot of the RPers.

which, if true, may explain my confusion with the fixation, since I never really considered WoW a reasonable RP system. BTW- it seems like nearly everyone who brings it up in the forums/posts I've seen seems more likely to have been a player in SWG than a WoW RPer.
benebarba

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:38 pm

I'd love to see equipment colouring. If you like a certain gear style, but it doesn't *quite* fit with your colour scheme, just dye it to match.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Worldie wrote:It's different. Allowing you to re-run low level content just makes you have extra stuff to do, without consuming developer resources.
Re-tuning stuff actually requires time and dedication from developers.

Unfortunately they have no way out of that. They need to drastically overhaul how they define tuning parameters in order to make old content somewhat challenging again, and allow it to downscale properly. Right now, if you throw a full raid of level 70s in dungeon blues at Sunwell Plateau they will make mincemeat of the place with little effort required. Each successive content patch has been building this problem.

But ultimately, if they go through the trouble of overhauling their code and tuning, they can make their system more future-proof and less headache-inducing to rebalance. Fully implemented content scaling would allow for a great many things like leveling raids, sidekicking, old challenge runs for VP, moving dungeons around in the curve, etc.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Next

Return to General