Remove Advertisements

Titan punted to 2016, effect on WoW?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Titan punted to 2016, effect on WoW?

Postby halabar » Wed May 29, 2013 11:23 am

So the news is out, and Blizz tacitly confirmed it, that Titan has been "reset" is going to undergo a tech and design overhaul by a small core team, and is pushed back to 2016. Since nearly everyone was expecting major Titan news at Blizzcon, now there are a lot of questions...

1) What does this mean for Titan, will it be another "SC Ghost"?

2) Where are the developer resources that are getting moved off Titan going to?

3) What's left for Blizzcon? Next WoW expac announcement? D3 and SC2 expansions?

4) How does this effect the future of WoW?

/discuss

Personally, I think that a lot of us were expecting one or two last big final expacs for WoW, which would then lead into Titan. But with this news, Blizz is going to have to have at least 2 more WoW expacs to bridge the gap to Titan, at least, perhaps more, to keep us all subscribing.

Question is, does WoW have the legs to last until Titan is likely released in 2017? How many of us are still going to play an MMO at that point, 3+ years from now? Not sure I see myself playing these games, at least in the present model, for that long.

I hope Blizz doesn't resort to stretching and stuffing the story in ways that are superfluous just to fill the gap.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: Titan punted to 2016, effect on WoW?

Postby Flex » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 am

Zero effect on anything related to WoW except maybe some code cleanup and extra design resources for a short period of time.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 am

Flex wrote:Zero effect on anything related to WoW except maybe some code cleanup and extra design resources for a short period of time.

And don't forget juicy QQ.
benebarba

Postby Flex » Wed May 29, 2013 11:54 am

benebarba wrote:
Flex wrote:Zero effect on anything related to WoW except maybe some code cleanup and extra design resources for a short period of time.

And don't forget juicy QQ.

"You have more cooks why isn't the food perfect?!?!?!!?"
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Wed May 29, 2013 12:22 pm

In the same interview, they said that part of the Titan team is now moved to Wow, Sc2 and D3. Meaning we can finally get some dungeons toghether with Raids, other than boring scenarios.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Worldie wrote:In the same interview, they said that part of the Titan team is now moved to Wow, Sc2 and D3. Meaning we can finally get some dungeons toghether with Raids, other than boring scenarios.

We might indeed see some short-term gain like that, but I have to imagine that it will effect their plans for WoW, as they may indeed really need to bridge that gap.

May see that all-troll expansion yet...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed May 29, 2013 12:36 pm

I'd imagine WoW's future has not been tied to Titan ever and Titan's rollout has never been linked to an EOL/sunsetting for WoW.

So what we'd see is really just short term gains for existing plans.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm

halabar wrote:
Worldie wrote:In the same interview, they said that part of the Titan team is now moved to Wow, Sc2 and D3. Meaning we can finally get some dungeons toghether with Raids, other than boring scenarios.

We might indeed see some short-term gain like that, but I have to imagine that it will effect their plans for WoW, as they may indeed really need to bridge that gap.

May see that all-troll expansion yet...

I'd be happy to see one where the only trolls are the PCs ;)

Maybe after getting the darkspear some greener pastures and some new horde leadership, we can finally find out what the deal is with the Draenei and the exodar, get the gnomes back their home (fully), sort out this whole three hammers business (man, BRD's gotta be awkward now...). Etc. Etc.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm

I have no doubt WoW will continue rolling along for as long as people play it, regardless of what other games Blizzard release. There's no "end-game" in sight for it, as far as Blizzard's concerned.

What this means for WoW is that some portion of the 60-70 developers moved off Titan will become new resources for the WoW team which might result in them being able to do more - there've been a lot of comments from GC recently about them looking to expand the team so they can keep up the frequent patches with more content like dungeons brought in. Depends on what areas the reassigned devs work in.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Chunes » Wed May 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Maybe we'll finally be able to fly around Silvermoon city!
Chunes

Postby Paxen » Wed May 29, 2013 2:58 pm

One theory is that Blizzard thinks that Titan is pushed back to not compete with WoW. WoW still have years and years left as the (fantastically) profitable venture it has been so far. Sure, it won't climb back to the peak numbers, but the slow decline we're in will still be a big part of Activision-Blizzard's profit of $1 billion per year.

WoW isn't going anywhere. Would Titan finally be the WoW-killer? Why would Blizzard bother to compete against itself?
Paxen

Postby bldavis » Wed May 29, 2013 5:14 pm

wow will really only die when blizz finally shuts down the servers, and yes numbers are declining, but they are still by far the largest sub base in teh MMO market....

like {Paxen said, why release a new MMO that will compete with your already in place juggernaut?

i feel we have at least 2 more expansions, one to tie up the lose ends with various story lines (3hammers, gnomes, the exodar, the new horde leadership etc) and one that will take us to argus to finally confront sargeras.
i doubt we will kill him, but i bet we will take out his top lts and aid the titans in dealing with him

wrathion is hinting pretty hard about a burning legion invasion...so i figure we have at least one to deal with in that
as far as a troll expansion..i hope not..
i love the troll lore but ffs enough is enough, have there be a troll raid in which we finally finish off the zandilari and be done with it
the remaining troll kingdoms might pop up in story lines but only if we are in their native area (Farraki in Tanaris, Drakkari in NR, Amani in norhtern EK, gurabashi in southern EK)

i can see a emerald dream/old god expansion in which we cleanse the emerald dream of the emerald nightmare and work on weakening the remaining old gods (i believe there are 2 more? there was 5 to begin with iirc, one became the shas, yogg, c'thun, and that leaves 2 more) and then dealing with the burning legion

hell the trolls might be supporting the old gods, so we take them out to weaken the old gods power base, go after the old gods, and then while we are busy dealing with that, the burning legion comes back giving us the next expanion -

stage one - fight off invading force and fix portal/exodar to get us t oargus
stage two - gain foothold on argus
stage three - take out lt's and contact titans
stage four - confront Sargeras
stage five - go home and say good bye to warcraft and hello to titan!

i doubt it will happen like that but who knows right?
oh and when i say aid titans, i mean aid thrall as he becomes a honorary titan :roll:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Worldie » Thu May 30, 2013 5:20 am

Bare in mind the number declining of WoW is majorly in Asia, where there's a HUGE competition from F2P MMOs, and where people prefer more grindy games to the casual approach of WoW.

WoW is still by far the most successfull MMO in US and Eu and I don't see this declining anywhere soon.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 pm

What bothers me is that about 18 months ago, Titan/Blizzard fired the lead level designer (John Staats), which kinda tells me they have had issues with the game for a while.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby oldboyz » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Titan smell like a good vaporware...

it is impossible a new game can go out from Blizz. At least untill Wow is certified dead
remimber the day a team has to create his own new company with their new hack&slash
blizzar do good games, but they don't know what innovation is (or let say, risk is their nightmare)
oldboyz

Next

Return to General