Remove Advertisements

[10H] Tortos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10H] Tortos

Postby Xfighter » Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Seeking advice on this fight. We've had multiple slot changes over the course of three weeks (a warlock been hit/miss for work, a hunter ninja quit, a casual subbing one night etc) but finally recruited a DK late last week so we gave the kiting method a try.

Our best attempt with kiting was around 40%, but many many times it was a wipe way before that due to the DK getting dazed, and it puzzles me beyond belief.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/225921/

Those are our logs, for if anyone can see something that can help us. So far this boss has been the worst heroic boss for our guild, even worse than heroic horridon many weeks ago. For reference (Boss - # pulls for kill): Jin - 44ish, Hor - 105, Ji-Kun - 16, Qon - 12, and so far on Tortos we're at ~120ish pulls.

We've tried:
- Me solo tanking, had issues with bats hitting casters (fixed in later attempts on the 22nd by having everyone that normally gets threat take a warlock portal): got to ~29% best attempt
- Frost DK kiting (21st & half 22nd): got to ~40%, many wipes from dazes = instagib

My question, is how bad would it be if we had to two-tank it? My co-tank is a warrior who has never tanked this on normal or seen it on heroic, and he's always been DPS when doing normal. His AM isn't the best so either tanking role would probably mean his shield drops A LOT.
Should we continue doing it via kiting or solo tanking? Is it just a L2P issue on behalf of our DK getting dazed? Should we have people start casually AoEing bats throughout the fight so some start to die around half-way/60% into the fight? Do we need a comp swap? (have a prot/fury warrior, and ele sham that I'm able to bring in, but the shaman... isn't the greatest and performed bad the last time I tried him on the fight)

Any insight anyone can provide will be a great help, as this boss has me at a loss for ideas at this point.
Xfighter

Postby Winkle » Fri May 24, 2013 2:23 am

When you say the DK gets dazed are you referring to the tortos quake stun? He can only avoid that with IBF, which even when glyphed will only allow him to avoid every 2nd quake.

Kiting as a DK is not easy, the hardest part is when you have the new bats spawning and have to control 2 sets of bats for a short period and keep slows up on both. Kiting as a monk is simpler due to roll and stagger/brew. Utilizing a stun on the old bats when the new ones spawn may help your dk.

If you kite the bats they obviously don't need to die. However if you solo tank you should definitely be looking at killing the bats before the next quake.
Winkle

Postby Rhiannon » Sat May 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Winkle wrote:When you say the DK gets dazed are you referring to the tortos quake stun? He can only avoid that with IBF, which even when glyphed will only allow him to avoid every 2nd quake.

Kiting as a DK is not easy, the hardest part is when you have the new bats spawning and have to control 2 sets of bats for a short period and keep slows up on both. Kiting as a monk is simpler due to roll and stagger/brew. Utilizing a stun on the old bats when the new ones spawn may help your dk.

If you kite the bats they obviously don't need to die. However if you solo tank you should definitely be looking at killing the bats before the next quake.

Looking at the log, he's actually getting dazed. Which means he's getting meleed by bats, which he should never be doing. If a frost dk lets the bats catch up with him, he will die, pretty much guaranteed. Co-ordinate stuns to allow him to pick up the new bat spawn safely if necessary (I notice neither of your locks used shadowfury much for example).

DK should be using Gorefiend's Grasp when necessary to group old bats with the new spawn. He's using Remorseless Winter and trying to stun them, so it's no surprise he's letting them get in melee range and gib him. He shouldn't be letting them within 10 yards of him (due to lag etc).

Not to be rude to your locks but they're both doing horrific damage on this fight. The affliction lock should be putting sb soc into the bats for infinite shards (which might appear to be padding, but will allow him infinite shards allowing him to keep turtles snared 70% full time and keep dots on all turtles and boss) and the destro lock should be keeping immolate on bats which will allow him massive ember generation to nuke the boss + turtles. With the aff lock snaring them properly he could probably even take manoroth's fury and rain of fire bats for even more chaos bolts. The side benefit will be that the bat spawns will get slowly eroded down between the dk and the two locks so you don't have the dk trying to manage 50+ bats by a few minutes into the fight, and both locks should gain substantial dps on the targets that matter (though they will also get a lot of padded dps as well). Only thing to be careful of is that they don't pull aggro on new bat spawns, but with access to two lock portals that shouldn't be an issue.
Rhiannon

Postby Xfighter » Tue May 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. Had read this on the weekend but forgot I never posted ^_^.

Managed to finally down this boss on our 7th pull tonight, making it something like 123ish wipes total.

Ended up continuing to solo-tank it as our DK was gone for the first few pulls, and we had our warrior tank just go dps but it combined with the shaman wasn't enough damage, so when the DK finally logged we got a kill shortly after. Afflic lock managed to do much better by seeding the bats when they were up I think, and overall people just finally learned to... drop threat on bats and avoid the bad shit in general.
Xfighter

Previous

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)