Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.3 Notes

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby Teranoid » Sat May 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Ours wouldn't stop wrecking themselves. That fucking noise... good lord.

Speaking of which.. what is with all the extra sounds this patch?
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby Darielle » Sun May 26, 2013 2:40 pm

The reason I would go try the Treants out on different things in combat is that it's a skill that's dependent on your spec, with all kinds of different possible effects. Remember, Bear Treants actually ARE SUPPOSED TO taunt the target. The code just got its "wires crossed" a bit. *shrug*


It's slightly more than a little bit :P

The Resto Treants is targeted at a person, it's not the treants taunting the target. A simple crossed wires bug would have the Treants trying to taunt the raid member, not the raid member's target, or the caster's target. Which is important when you consider that healing as a thing involves some people having raid members targeted, some people having enemies targeted, people losing targets when mobs die etc.

Even more so when even if you do exactly this, looking at logs won't identify the bug. Check this out:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-l ... 696&e=2326

Do you see Treant or Stab casting Taunt anywhere?
More to the point, given the NUMEROUS Force of Nature casts and the one time that a taunt appears to have actually happened, is there a log link to immediately identify that wouldn't have you looking at Salv/HoP instead?

Stuff like seeing if Treants are accidentally summoning for hte rwong spec etc. are things that they would do anywhere as standard practice

These kinds of things are more than likely part of their normal testing anyway.

Well that test part isn't really accurate. It is definitely conceivable or even likely. Obviously this is just speculation, but it's also common industry practice. I wouldn't be surprised if blizzard has all sorts of tests that run when each build is created in a continuous integration type of environment. It's entirely possible that spells go through checks for their inputs and outputs to include aggro gain on mobs. I also suspect that they have a very comprehensive suite of regression tests (both automated and manual) that ideally any final build is going to be run through, which covers areas well beyond the scope of the last tweaks.


Oh I'm sure they do standard practice testing. I was just suggesting that you have to go a bit beyond standard tests into straight up Bug Trousbleshooting to get to this particular one.

All in all, since apparently the entire story of the patch can be seen in a day (with no real indications of anything else coming)... somewhat of a let down all around. And I feel like Garrosh is turning into a worse villain than Deathwing. At least Deathwing was still roving around lighting zones on fire right up to the raid patch. Garrosh seems to have disappeared, only to be replaced by really lamely characterized orc commanders (at least to my ally-only eyes) doing cheesy cartoon villain things.

please tell me I missed something. Please.


IDK if there'll be a part later on that ties Battle of the HIgh Seas to anything. I mean, you come across the other two as part of the storyline; but it's hard to tell.
Darielle
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby halabar » Sun May 26, 2013 6:40 pm

So apparently they are going to revert the hunter dps buffs...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9343
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby Klaudandus » Mon May 27, 2013 5:37 am

halabar wrote:So apparently they are going to revert the hunter dps buffs...


You guys got buffs?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby Nooska » Mon May 27, 2013 6:14 am

Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:So apparently they are going to revert the hunter dps buffs...


You guys got buffs?


I'm not aware of any hunter dps buffs they are gointg to revert - unless its the speculation that arises from GC saying passive talents should be slightly worse than active - which, seriously, in this case is BS - previously BS (no pun intended) was a pvp talent, at best, now its a passive go-to talent that does a flat pet damage increase instead of the same damage increase once every 30 seconds (iow, moved from burst to sustained) - I fail to see how that isn't a "worse" talent for pvp, and how that isn't a "better" talent for PvE.
Yes, it now simes better for BM than MoC, which is good, MoC (and LR) are badly designed talents after the changes that made them both dots.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby lythac » Tue May 28, 2013 4:36 am

Has it been mentioned yet that you can now create multiple DKs per realm?

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status ... 1509497856
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby Sagara » Tue May 28, 2013 5:03 am

I'm still holding on to the hope that THIS will be the ONE change no-one will complain about.

Funny thing is, it'll be hilarious either way.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3339
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby benebarba » Tue May 28, 2013 6:10 am

Sagara wrote:I'm still holding on to the hope that THIS will be the ONE change no-one will complain about.

Funny thing is, it'll be hilarious either way.



Just because of this, I'm going to go complain vocally on the official forums about blizz catering to casual DKs .

:P
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby halabar » Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 am

Nooska wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:So apparently they are going to revert the hunter dps buffs...


You guys got buffs?


I'm not aware of any hunter dps buffs they are gointg to revert - unless its the speculation that arises from GC saying passive talents should be slightly worse than active - which, seriously, in this case is BS - previously BS (no pun intended) was a pvp talent, at best, now its a passive go-to talent that does a flat pet damage increase instead of the same damage increase once every 30 seconds (iow, moved from burst to sustained) - I fail to see how that isn't a "worse" talent for pvp, and how that isn't a "better" talent for PvE.
Yes, it now simes better for BM than MoC, which is good, MoC (and LR) are badly designed talents after the changes that made them both dots.


He also mentioned AoTH, which is odd if he's complaining about passives because the other items on that tier are a pve passive and a pvp talent.

GC responded to one tweet of mine, and implied that they want people taking the other talents, so if everyone specs into Blink Strikes, it likely will be nerfed, just because it's the most popular choice.

Seemingly blindly targeting talents that are very popular doesn't seem like a good strat. Perhaps fix the ones that people don't pick instead?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9343
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 am

Well he was saying they were going to do a lot of rebalancing like they did in 5.2. When they balanced the Shaman talents they didn't just nerf the ones that were being taken too much by Enhance, they also buffed the other options.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6672
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby benebarba » Tue May 28, 2013 7:49 am

halabar wrote:Seemingly blindly targeting talents that are very popular doesn't seem like a good strat. Perhaps fix the ones that people don't pick instead?


Depends, seems to me easier to bring one down than to bring 2 up (now, if that's the 'right' way to do it would depend on a lot of other factors, I think). Don't think it's blind at all, since it's a specific talent, and that one may be the outlier.

that said, I can see the argument about passives giving big bonuses: who *wouldn't* take a passive that was also the best DPS/HPS/whatever? If it takes a bit of a numbers tweak to make situational choices more likely, that seems the better choice in the current talent system.

Though I haven't seen them look to really make the lvl 45 paladin tier less lopsided for Prot (the boost to EF was still a DPS/AM loss, IIRC)... at this point they may as well baseline SS for prot and put something else in its place :P
Last edited by benebarba on Tue May 28, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby halabar » Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 am

benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:Seemingly blindly targeting talents that are very popular doesn't seem like a good strat. Perhaps fix the ones that people don't pick instead?


Depends, seems to me easier to bring one down than to bring 2 up (now, if that's the 'right' way to do it would depend on a lot of other factors, I think). Don't think it's blind at all, since it's a specific talent, and that one may be the outlier.


But what he's saying is that if other talents are underutilized, they will nerf Blink Strikes. That just seems like a bad premise.

I would hope they actually look at other reasons why the others aren't being used. Things like they aren't good for boss fights, have LoS issues, etc.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9343
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 am

I'd say his comments overall - and changes made to the game - suggest they do look at it from both sides. Not that they necessarily get it right (aforementioned Shaman rebalance moved Enhance from all using Unleashed Fury to all using Primal Elementalist).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6672
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby benebarba » Tue May 28, 2013 8:11 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I'd say his comments overall - and changes made to the game - suggest they do look at it from both sides. Not that they necessarily get it right (aforementioned Shaman rebalance moved Enhance from all using Unleashed Fury to all using Primal Elementalist).


A couple guildies and I were having a conversation about WOW development (in general, not just abilities) and we all came to this conclusion: they seem to be more likely to overshoot before finally getting close to the sweet spot than to hit a more moderate point. While it seems wasteful, I can't help but think it simplifies things for them. Think about it like an optimization problem: they may not have a good robust predictor, so going 'big' and splitting the difference would yield a middle ground more reliably than trying to walk toward it from one side.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Patch 5.3 Notes

Postby halabar » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I'd say his comments overall - and changes made to the game - suggest they do look at it from both sides. Not that they necessarily get it right (aforementioned Shaman rebalance moved Enhance from all using Unleashed Fury to all using Primal Elementalist).


But I still don't think they really solicit the feedback necessary to make better decisions. In the case of Blink Strikes, they seem to be fine with a passive, IF people are still picking the other talents as well, but I think they fail to realize that the other talents really aren't that interesting, they just may have better situational use. MoC is certainly better for controlled burst, but I would say Lynx looses out here, as popping another CD every 30 sec is neither interesting or "harder", it's just another button to press. That's the real problem.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9343
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lawfeer, Worldie, Yelena and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Lawfeer, Worldie, Yelena and 1 guest