[Tabletop RPG] Exalted third edition

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

[Tabletop RPG] Exalted third edition

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Exalted is an RPG where you play a mighty demigod in a world where they have until recently been banished, and the remnants of their glorious civilizations are barely understood.
Drawing from stories like the Epic of Gilgamesh, Hero and Tales from Flat Earth, Creation is a strange place where one can find convoluted politics, over the top action, build empires and carve your name in legend.

A third edition's in the making for a while, and it should be available around October! Onyx Path, in keeping with the other game lines (vampire, mage, werewolf, mummy & others) opened a kickstarter to sell the Deluxe version of the book. Mostly fancier material and a few goodies you gain or buy along the book.

This is my favorite rpg of all time, and the new edition makes me shiver with anticipation '-'
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: [Tabletop RPG] Exalted third edition

Postby Sagara » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Oooooooooh shiny!

Any word on how they're gonna handle Charms this time around? Long-ass lists that take over 50 pages the is what put me off the last few times.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 am

Dunno, but that's largely unavoidable as far as I've known RPGs. D&D has a ton of spellbooks, GURPS considers you a sinner if you don't have that much info in your head at all times. Stuffl ike that.
The amount of cross-referencing with errata in 2e was far more troublesome and, well, the point in making the new system does include minimizing errata :D
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Thu May 23, 2013 4:37 am

The big trouble was how immense the list was even from the get-go. You got Essence 3? You're entitled to 2-5 Charms per skill you bought. And with the amount of the Skill points you started with, you were often looking at 10-20 Skills to read charms for. For a BEGINNING character, choosing between 50 Charms was the norm. From the core book ALONE.

I can get a veteran player looking at a wide array of options, and typically starting to reference extra spellbooks and whatnot, but every time I introduced a player to Exalted, everything went A-Ok until the dreaded, "Now, let's talk about your special abilities, or Charms." *drops a phonebook in front of the player*

None of the other WW games I tried (OVamp, OMage, NVamp, NWerewolf, NMage, heck, even Scion) was that opaque to begin with.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 23, 2013 2:40 pm

I still expect there'll be a few: Werewolf has more gifts over the course of the line than ex has charms, and Mage already starts with around as many rotes as you'd see spells in a D&D player book. Exalted is more fronloaded.

Now, the nature of the changes they've said they did so far points to less charms, at least initially: The whole system is simpler. So far the balance between hitting and damaging is conceptually similar to Legends of the Wulin or Dresden Files RPG(most interactions build up momentum that then is used to mess the foe up hard). I'm expecting less basic charms, but a lot of space to put them in. One of the later splatbooks in the line will basically include a manual to write charms on your own.

They will also release a quickstart to prep characters fast and easier than from scratch.

The new exalt types shake things really good: The Getimian are purpose-built to oppose the sidereals in a war against heaven, and Exigents sometimes get "smuggled" to gods that shouldn't get them, giving the poor Fate Ninjas From Heaven a huge headache. The Yozis' plan for Reclamation consists mostly of making infernals and going "go have fun, conquer the world, it's all yours" as far as the next few generations are concerned.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Other Games