Soooo... Neverwinter

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Soooo... Neverwinter

Postby Chunes » Tue May 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Installed and got to 6ish last night on Cleric.

Definitely didn't know they were not a melee class. They're essentially battle priests that can only wear mail. Interesting abilities from what i've been reading and a somewhat unique take on combat healing.

Any of you planning on trying this game out?

I'm on the Beholder server, char is named Cthoons.

(seriously, both Chunes and Choons were taken. Are you fucking kidding me?)
Chunes

Re: Soooo... Neverwinter

Postby bldavis » Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 pm

also on beholder (not sure if they are seperated EU and NA)
have a 23 rogue named Ana Lightouch
and a 17 guardian fighter named Thoridril Deepforge

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Gracerath » Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 pm

I've put in a short amount of time. Also played a cleric and hate it. Why is it the best cleric I've ever played was the warrior priest from WAR? Jesus fucking christ, game devs. Quite turning clerics into ranged classes. =(

All that said, the combat is fairly enjoyable. I like the instances so far. The voice acting ranges from "laughably terrible" to "at least I don't want to jam a safety pin into my ears." Questing is fairly standard but I'm kind of past tolerating "standard" quest mechanics.

This game certainly doesn't feel one bit like dungeons and dragons, let alone Forgotten Realms. It just feels like standard fantasy MMO with D&D terms thrown in to make it more recognizable to those that played the pen and paper version.

It sounds like I'm hating on it but I'm not really. I will say that I'm glad that this is a F2P game though. I don't think I'd buy it on the D&D brand alone.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 pm

if i was looking for the D&D feel, no way in hell would i want this game
but for an action combat F2P MMO, i am pleased with it

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shamora » Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 am

I have a 39 rogue and a 10 wizard on the beholder server atm and am enjoying it all quite a bit in my spare time. I do feel as if a lot of mobs are quite rough on melee compared to ranged and will be glad when they add a ranger class personally. I have some other minor annoyances, but for a F2P game that I am just messin around with I do not think it is so bad right now.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Barthilas, Horde - <Tribo>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 100 Combat/Subtlety Rogue
Shamora

Postby bldavis » Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 am

i had a great weapon fighter, but got frustrated dying so dam easy due to pulling one pack and 3 more spawn and come with
he only got to 11

bldavis

Postby Worldie » Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 am

bldavis wrote:if i was looking for the D&D feel, no way in hell would i want this game

This is my thought as well. Really disappointed when I realized how the gameplay looked like :(
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gab » Wed May 15, 2013 7:24 am

Gab - Level 34 CW
Gabora - Level 12 GF

Both on Dragon Server. Definitely enjoying the game since it's all new and shiny. Combat reminds me a lot of Tera, which certainly isn't a bad thing. Basically a nice change of pace from WoW.

I still think the Cash shop is a little sketchy and most likely will be the reason I can't get into this game more. It's not really P2W per se but it's pretty darn close. And I absolutely hate the fact that respecing not only costs zen but it's a fairly high amount realtively speaking (then again t3 mounts cost $40 dollars....). I think PWE is really shooting themselves in the foot by not letting respec be more accessible. It hurts the development of the game because people can't experiment with builds and skill combinations. Some feats/powers are extremely bugged/broken and who knows when some of it will be fixed with no way to get out of choices other than paying for respecs. Not to mention it's extremely frustrating to not be able to spec into PvP, Soloing, PvE roles without spending way too much money, which has got to be even worse for Clerics and GFs.

I don't have a problem with contributing to a game I'm enjoying so I did actually charge a little zen just because I'm getting some entertainment value but PWE's model for Neverwinter kind of... well imo sucks and is the reason I'll probably drop it after the honeymoon period is over.
Gab

Postby Chunes » Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 am

Wow I was wondering how you respecced...

Looks like a decent chunk of us on beholder could group up for funsies later down the road.

I'll probably be casually leveling my cleric once I run out of stuff to do in wow each week.
Chunes

Postby Gab » Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 am

Chunes wrote:Wow I was wondering how you respecced...

Yeah and all for the low, low price of $6 a pop.

There are a lot of really good things about the game but I can't help but think PWE is just trying to make as much as they can as fast as they can. The price points on some things is insane.

Granted Free players can get pretty much everything that a paying player can they'll just have to grind like crazy ("no life" it) to keep up.

I do like the Star Wars-esque profession system and the gateway is really a cool complimentary feature. You can do professions, AHing, Mail etc... all from your browser and I think there's probably an app but haven't looked into it.

https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/

I'd reccomend getting leadership going as soon as possible. Once you have a decent set up, which could take awhile, you can farm a good amount of rough ADs with a couple of clicks of the mouse from anywhere, not to mention many of the other rewards include character experience and copper/silver. I have used the gateway a bit and sometimes come home to find my char has dinged.

All in all a pretty good game and worth checking out, I'm just a bit skeptical at how long PWEs model will sustain an expanding user base.
Gab

Postby Shamora » Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am

While I wholly agree with the respec issue, at least you do get a vast amount of points to spend there. You get enough points to max about 3/4 of the powers and you can only use about half of those at a time. Also you can exchange AD in game for Zen and the price per Zen has been goin down. Last I looked it was about 225k AD to respec. So while it could be much better, it could also be much worse.

Also a few links people might enjoy:
http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ - Gateway that allows you to do professions, browse the AH, check your mail, as well as some guild stuff. All from the comfort of your browser.
http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter- ... mulator.9/ - Power and feat calc
http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki - The official wiki
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showth ... ass-Builds - Forum post with links to various class builds and guides
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Shamora

Postby Gab » Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 am

Shamora wrote:While I wholly agree with the respec issue, at least you do get a vast amount of points to spend there. You get enough points to max about 3/4 of the powers and you can only use about half of those at a time. Also you can exchange AD in game for Zen and the price per Zen has been goin down. Last I looked it was about 225k AD to respec. So while it could be much better, it could also be much worse.

Yeah, it certainly could be worse, I've heard of a game that charged $20 for respecs although the name escapes me.

If you were to spend the equivalent of a monthly sub game you could do alright for yourself. So you're right that it isn't horrible, but I still find myself constantly bothered by it and think its a terrible model for something that should be included.

From a testing/balance stand point, since this is open "beta" (LOL), charging for respecs is completely contradictory. There's also the fact that I'm forced to choose whether I want to PvE or PvP and am stuck in whichever I choose without racking up a huge bill in respecs or leveling a 2nd character of the same class with limited character slots. Sure you can PvP with a PvE spec or vice versa, but you'll be significantly gimped compared to properly specced players.

Power points are plentiful but Feats not so much...
Gab

Postby bldavis » Wed May 15, 2013 11:46 am

$6 for a respec will severly limit how much enjoyment i get out of this game at endgame

bldavis

Postby Shamora » Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am

Gab wrote:Power points are plentiful but Feats not so much...

Feats are a seperate respec though and cost AD, the cost scaling with your level.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Shamora

Postby Gab » Wed May 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Shamora wrote:Feats are a seperate respec though and cost AD, the cost scaling with your level.

You don't say. Well that certainly makes things more palatable, although I haven't seen the cost at max level.
Gab

Return to Other Games