Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby econ21 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 am

Zothor wrote:I set a WeakAura for all of my defensives and put that in it, so I can see at a glance when it pops up, and how long I have left on it.

Would you mind sharing that string? At least the indomitable part?
econ21

Postby Zothor » Wed May 08, 2013 5:23 pm

econ21 wrote:
Zothor wrote:I set a WeakAura for all of my defensives and put that in it, so I can see at a glance when it pops up, and how long I have left on it.

Would you mind sharing that string? At least the indomitable part?

Fair warning: these aren't separate bars or anything. One overlaps the other. My personal feeling is that, if I have a defensive up, that's what I need to know. If I have two, that's gravy. I'm sure I missed some externals, but I tried to include the ones that my raid tends to use on me. Raidwide externals are on a different aura that's not included here.

Code: Select all
dOtwjaGEPs9ssvIDPuQ2MukMjPkvZgLUjPkLVPuv3Mq7Kk7f2nj7xr6Nkv(lPQ(nQgNsjnusPbRumCQQdsQItlCmPQZrQyHkLyPsfTyLsz5i9qPu9uvpMGNJyIkIMkrtwstNYfLqhwjptkjxxI2OuI(ScBMQSDPs(OucUSOPrk(UIWiLsQljvy0sX4LsOtkLs3IuL01uQY5vuVwcggkwgPsJEiXxqcdNG3VDnBF)TRdUiEfVcjElUZZJKgAzB2FV900MT23gM9ALUA2kd80R7XGpVZZJKgC7ZGtZrWvYz)eFq5L(4KK1tlpug(w2jL70B69ITuINTO)svZk2gUQuusJXiPe46XJk(KPxQirxjbNLVQqIt5SjK4ILSwajmyWGHlajC9qI7Xv2JUt40LbVgeF218TLqbcEh(4eBjuGOLhkdV9IozXoXN355rsdUEDyWP5i4k5SFIhcCfUQuusJXiPe46XnAmgjfsC1smjqcxp(KrxHkNUrlLBPGfCfmCHsIXf1VjQjUfIzfgEuXNm6ku50nAPCdFIOAnWPHb3NYh0Kq0stHGeCfCm4nzmAm40WGZYxviXPC2esCXswlGegmyWGtxiX94k7r3jC6YGxdIp7A(2sOabVdFCw(QcjoLZMqIlwYAbKWGbdNMJGRKZ(jEiWv4Z788iPbxVom4rfFYORqLt38MizR4gngJKcjUAjMeiHRhFYORqLt38MizRWWfkjgxu)MOM4wiMvy4tevRbonm4(u(GMeIwAkeKGRGJbxvkkPXyKucC94nzmAm40WGtSLqbIwEOm82l6Kf7egCTcsCpUYE0DcNUm41G4ZUMVTekqW7WhNylHceT8qz4Tx0jl2j(8oppsAW1RddonhbxjN9t8qGRWvLIsAmgjLaxpUrJXiPqIRwIjbs46XBlLR22IwagUqjX4I63e1e3cXScdFIOAnWPHbpQ4TLYvBBrlG7t5dAsiAPPqqcUcog8MmgngCAyWz5RkK4uoBcjUyjRfqcdgmyWPbsCpUYE0DcNUm41G4ZUMVTekqW7WhNLVQqIt5SjK4ILSwajmyWWN355rsdUEDyWJkERxQ60nCVPB0wsdBg3OXyKuiXvlXKajC94TEPQt3W9MUrBjnSzy4cLeJlQFtutCleZkm8jIQ1aNggCFkFqtcrlnfcsWvWXGRkfL0ymskbUE8MmgngCAyWP5i4k5SFIhcCfoXwcfiA5HYWBVOtwStyWThK4ECL9O7eoDzWRbXNDnFBjuGG3HpolFvHeNYztiXflzTasyWGHtZrWvYz)epe4k85DEEK0GRxhg8OI3so1cRSM4gngJKcjoXpzzBBfVVv7VNoTcVKK6t8tw22wXwWvlXKajC94TKtTWkRjmCVswwIWsHTGlusmUO(nrnXTqmRWWNiQwdCAyW9P8bnjeT0uiibxbhdUQuusJXiPe46XBYy0yWPHbNylHceT8qz4Tx0jl2jm4AdK4ECL9O7eoDzWRbXNDnFBjuGG3HpolFvHeNYztiXflzTasyWGHpVZZJKgC96WGtZrWvYz)epe4k8OIRhAnv20ntME4gngJKcjUAjMeiHRhxp0AQSPBMm9svnPWWfkjgxu)MOM4wiMvy4tevRbonm4(u(GMeIwAkeKGRGJbxvkkPXyKucC94nzmAm40WGtSLqbIwEOm82l6Kf7egC7djUhxzp6oHtxg8Aq8zxZ3wcfi4D4JtSLqbIwEOm82l6Kf7eFENNhjn461HbNMJGRKZ(jEiWv4QsrjngJKsGRh3OXyKuiXvlXKajC94Tq5IwJLA6gU30n6rjePYMUrVeQbbgUqjX4I63e1e3cXScdFIOAnWPHbpQ4Tq5IwJLc3NYh0Kq0stHGeCfCm4nzmAm40WGZYxviXPC2esCXswlGegmyWGBRqI7Xv2JUt40LbVgeF218TLqbcEh(4S8vfsCkNnHexSK1ciHbdgonhbxjN9t8qGRWJkER5SZt3ONUs1a3OXyKuiXvlXKajC94TMZopDJE6kvJKcdxOKyCr9BIAIBHywHHpruTg40WG7t5dAsiAPPqqcUcogCvPOKgJrsjW1J3KXOXGtdd(8oppsAW1RddoXwcfiA5HYWBVOtwStyWW7cUEnmmWaa
Zothor

Postby Fenrìr » Thu May 09, 2013 2:44 am

Zothor wrote:I haven't seen a source for that 10% figure, although I've heard people say it's huge DPS for tanks. Do you happen to know where it came from? Given that the proc scales with AP I believe it, but I'd love to see the numbers since.

You can easily just glance at recount/skada/logs to see how much of a dps increase it is. When I was tanking, it was upwards of around 11-12% for me.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Alihu » Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Hey guys, so first time here. Still pretty new to paladin tanking, swaped from warrior to pally basically 2 weeks after ToT came out. I noticed alot of people go for the haste build, I just have yet to feel comfortable doing it, so I have been doing mastery.

So, recently Mr. Robot was telling me to gem all stam until i changed the weights to add in more mastery, but now I feel as if I have to little stam. Heres my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... u/advanced

Also, would it be best to just go ahead and swap over to the haste/control build, since it seems alot of paladins tanking ToT are currently using it

Side note: I have the shadow-pan stam trinket, for extra life if I need to swap to it
Alihu

Postby Fetzie » Fri May 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Ask Mr Robot is set up for a stamina heavy build because that is what is best for SURVIVABILITY.

However: so long as you aren't raiding 25H content, you already have enough health on the gear, so tune down the stamina weighting and dial up the haste a bit.

Oh, get rid of that Ji'kun trinket. It is really quite crappy.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Rookfire » Fri May 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi gang! I finally spent some valor and overhauled my gear a bit from a while ago. I'm the main tank for our guild running normal ToT 10man progression.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Kil%27Jaeden/Rookfire/advanced

Even after tweaking stat weights, I still seem to have found a more efficient reforge setup than what askmrrobot suggested (just changed a couple). What do you think?

It's a hard cap haste build. I'm mainly worried about the 4 piece bonus I gave up, and if my new gear is good enough to warrant the swap or if I should put it back on. Sadly though, the 2 pieces I took off were 483s which I can't tell if it makes it easier or harder to compare. The new gear since raiding Terrace: Weapon, Shield, Neck, Pants, Chest, Belt.

I also want to know if anyone has been running with Darkmist Vortex or a similar large-haste trinket instead of another stam stick, and if so, how that works out for them?

Thanks for looking! I'm open to all advice, and looking for ANY improvements (even if it's just 1 gem swap etc). Love you all :D
Rookfire

Postby kenshin648 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 am

What should I work on from here? (note that i'll likely change the gem in the pants, since I put that one in there for my dps spec)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/m ... six/simple
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby econ21 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:27 am

kenshin648 wrote:What should I work on from here?

You seem to have almost exhausted 5 mans as a source for gear, but not have done LFR, so that would be the next place. I would aim to get 480 ilevel, so you can do the ToT LFR and get the SPA rep needed to unlock the 522 VP gear. At your gear level, I'd be inclined to run ToT LFR as dps but you should try to tank the earlier LFRs.

A few specific points:

(1) Consider 476 honour gear for upgrading some slots. You can get honour easily from Tol Barad and Wintergrasp if your faction predominates. Or take your jps and convert to honour.

(2) As a BS, you could start crafting the new ingots to learn 458 pvp gear recipes, 502 weapons and epic Pve recipes. Don't forget your belt buckle.

(3) As a JC, consider using stamina serpent eye's - the trade off between primary and secondary stats for jc gems was not changed when the budget for secondary stats on normal gems was raised.

(4) Get more glyphs - battle healer and divine protection are excellent; focused shield is good for some boss fights.

(5) You probably don't want to enchant/reforge your low level items, but at some point (e.g. if tanking LFR), I would. You could use the control/haste option of Ask Mr Robot to guide you there. Don't follow it slavishly - sometimes it's optimisation routine hiccups - but the principles behind it are sound.

(6) You need a better second trinket. The ghost iron dragonling is an engineering BoE that gives you 1800 stats (e.g. hit, exp, haste) - it's excellent; get one from the AH or ask for an engineer to make one. Or try to pick up a second stamina trinket - e.g. the darkmoon card or SP trinket.
econ21

Postby Tbickle » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello, I'm a new Prot Pally and I need some advice...
So, here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/n ... n/advanced

I was doing LFR as DPS, that's why there's some crits (I just tank LFR now, since my guild don't have a raid core).
I follow the Control/Mastery and I will buy the DPS cloak, ring (tank) and gloves (tank) from Shado-Pan Assault.
Should I trade my Shoulders to the Prot one for the 2piece bonus?
The Operation Shieldwall boots (iLvl 496, avoidance) would help me?
Any other advice?

Thank you and excuse my poor english, I'm Brazilian (don't be cruel).
Tbickle

Postby Azlynn » Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey everyone, I've been digging through the mass of information here but can't help but feel I'm missing something so I figured I'd see if anyone can spot something I'm missing. I'm finding I often struggle to maintain a reasonable amount of threat compared to other tanks I run with and even sometimes DPS. Typically I'm running with other tanking classes such as Druid & Monk so I can't directly compare. On average I'm a few ilvls behind gear-wise, but only 3-5. My survivability seems fine so threat gen is my concern here. I can't tell if I'm just not playing it right, gearing right or what. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my armory link:
http://armorylite.com/us/baelgun/Azlynn

After digging through the theory crafting threads I've used the following stat-weights for handling my gems/reforges/enchants:
Stamina: 0.99(Had to make it this low or it would only recommend stam gems/enchants)
Hit: 3.00
Expertise: 2.99
Haste: 1.75
Armor: 1.00
Mastery: 0.90
Strength: 0.50
Dodge: 0.25
Parry: 0.25

I use the following ability priorities:
1.Hammer of the Righteous (only use to maintain Weakened Blows)
2.Crusader Strike
3.Judgment
4.Avenger's Shield
5.Holy Wrath
6.Consecration
7.Hammer of Wrath
Azlynn

Postby Harb » Mon May 20, 2013 6:28 am

Hi All,
Back again below is my current link for tank gear for council using cds damage is still alot more than normal.
Should i use more stam for hp or my haste when in raid is around 18.18%. hp is 760 roughly depending on buffs.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/p ... rau/simple

Should i go for more hp or keep as i am?
Harb

Postby Schroom » Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 am

damn blizz maintainence.

I go full haste on council HM. I still got about 690k HP but 36,68% Meleehaste.

the inc damage is not a problem at all. there really si only one pahse for me where i get a lot of damage. as I start with marli to position her and build some thread and then go over in Tanking Sul, the ardest phase is when i taunt Malak and still got those other 2 Bosses hitting me, but GoAk is enough to keep it smooth here.

also I'm at > 200k DPS on this fight which helps a lot!
Schroom

Postby Marilee » Thu May 23, 2013 7:51 am

Which valor-purchased 522 chest is a superior choice? I like the hit+expertise combo on the Gianttooth, but the Brutal Strikes "official tanking" chest has reduced Strength to give more secondary stats overall, even though one of those is Dodge. Which should I go for? (Assume no other chestpieces are in consideration... just comparing these two.)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=95075
http://www.wowhead.com/item=95076
Marilee

Postby daishan » Thu May 23, 2013 8:44 am

Assuming wowhead isn't bugged the "tank" chest with reduced strength actually has less secondary stats. :?

907 exp + 990 hit = 1897
1063 dodge + 782 hit = 1845

So if those numbers are correct get the hit/exp one.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Marilee » Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 am

daishan wrote:Assuming wowhead isn't bugged the "tank" chest with reduced strength actually has less secondary stats. :?

907 exp + 990 hit = 1897
1063 dodge + 782 hit = 1845

So if those numbers are correct get the hit/exp one.

Holy crap. O.o lol

Glad I asked since I'm too lazy to actually look at the numbers and assumed.......
Marilee

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice