[10H] Tortos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10H] Tortos

Postby Bemxuu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:47 am

We had a bdk/bmonk setup for our first kill, so we flipped a coin (/roll 2). At first I've lost but then we figured bdk had to switch to kiting role: not only was he getting more damage despite permanent -20% from bone shield (it wastes no charges if the damage is absorbed), he also could get threat easier on bats by howling blasting them mid-air in blood stance (so, no tricks/misdirection required). The turtle problem is there if you mess up slowing turtles, otherwise they travel really slowly and hit the kiter only if he takes a bathroom break mid-pull. With me throwing kegs at turtles each time they appear, most of the time one of three would die before leaving melee range.
Bemxuu

Postby Weebey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:47 am

25M here, but this isn't big enough to start another thread, and 10M advice should help as well.

I think we pretty much have the bat-kiting and crystal mechanics mechanics figured out; our problem is that we are simply being overwhelmed by turtles. We tend to run a fairly melee heavy comp (I think we had 8 melee and 9 ranged in our attempts), and ranged simply could not keep up on their own. We tried having melee swap over as well, but then boss dps becomes non-existent. Melee were also complaining about constantly getting knocked up when dps-ing turtles, and having to refresh their shields when that happens; I haven't dps-ed the fight, but I suspect that is a ltp issue.

So any tips on keeping turtles under control while maintaining pressure on the boss? I sadly suspect the main problem is that our dps just isn't high enough at the moment, but any advice would be appreciated.
Weebey

Postby Bemxuu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:54 pm

We had similar issue in 10M, when we had to go from 1 to 3 melee, since ranged got all the loot on first two kills. We just made melee contribute as much as they can and ranged focus solely on turtles and ignore the boss. There's a lot of things melee can do to turtles even from range. DKs can spread diseases, enh can cast stuff e t c.
I don't see the damage taken debuff for some weird reason, but we're also trying to kick the turtle through new ones. If they're slowed instantly (keg throws ftw), there are good 3 to 4 seconds of them standing pretty close to each other.
If that won't help, I can only recommend trying to switch to few more ranged damage dealers.
Bemxuu

Postby Bellanka » Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 am

Finally got this last night using the kiting method. Monk and hunter on bats, DK and I on Tortos, everyone else on Turtles>Tortos.

Solo tanking was a lot of fun, but this felt infinitely easier having the Monk kite.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Shanudis » Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 am

Is solo tanking viable on 25 man? I'd imagine not, but just looking at options for this fight.
Shanudis

Postby Chronos » Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 am

Our DK is kiting as blood. Does that make any sense whatsoever? Getting to 60% then regularly wiping. Thought frost was the obvious choice. He only has a tank set.
Chronos

Postby Kiz » Tue May 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Using a DK, even in one who only has a tank set, he should spec frost + chillblains and use blood pres. Pick up bats with howling blast spam. Damage on them is irrelevant in the kiting method so his gear is probably better off being tank stats, plus the stacked mastery will i guess give him more threat on initial HB hits.
Kiz

Postby stormeagle6 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi guys, new question -

I just started tanking this tonight (pally), and I'm on the boss. Our rogue told me to spec Eternal Flame for this fight because the self-healing would be huge and help keep up the shield. Now, while that is true, Sacred Shield still scales really high and gives me 100k bubbles, which also helps with the shield. On top of that, I can't always spare the HoPo on Eternal Flame since I need to mitigate every snapping bite and stomp, so it doesn't have 100% uptime whereas Sacred Shield does. Any pallies that have tanked the boss have advice on which talent works best? After a night of attempts I'm leaning strongly toward the old standby SS.
stormeagle6

Postby Schroom » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 am

SS all the way. you don't get any real advantage from Eternal Flame as the HoT doesn't scale with vengeance. also spending HoPo in expense of SoTR ist rather cotraproductive.

I start the fight doing my rotation and bilding some HoPo, use a hardcooldown and wait till I'm topped off. then use my target macro (which is on J hitting the chrystal and then switching to my old target again) and isntantly WoG to get that shield up. and having another hardcooldown soak the snapping bite. now I go back to the normal rotation and use SoTr for every snapping bite.

shield never falsl off, but should it fall off I use GoAK or other hard cooldowns and same procedure as the start of the fight.
Schroom

Postby daishan » Wed May 08, 2013 12:36 am

As Schroom says ignore the rogue!
SS is always the right choice for tanking.
I don't always spec it but I find Holy Prism quite nice on Tortos as it gives a nice instant heal when cast on self without costing any holy power and SotR uptime, plus can help a little at getting bat aggro.
Tell the rogue to make himself useful and tricks bats to you :p
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Wed May 08, 2013 4:48 am

true but as i understood he isn't tanking the bats. (neither am I ^^)
Schroom

Postby Donatist » Wed May 08, 2013 6:03 am

Like they've said above; currently 11/13H and I have never talented out of SS and do not plan to.
Donatist

Postby stormeagle6 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks for the input and confirming what I suspected. I switched around a lot of talents last night for this fight, including using Holy Prism. Since I'm on the boss, I stuck to using it on the boss himself to help heal the melee and myself up rather than do huge AoE damage on the bats and risk pulling aggro on top of battle healer threat. But I still found Prism more useful than Light's Hammer because the short cd let me use it to help burst heal my shield back up after stomp/rockfalls/bite, or if it happened to fall off. Unfortunately my shield still falls off once in a while because I'm pretty undergeared at 503 ilvl, but I'm the only alternative to using our druid tank and riding the RNG rollercoaster.

Another talent change I made was going for Divine Purpose instead of my usual Holy Avenger. I use HA on every fight as an extra physical damage cd, but since this fight doesn't have any burst damage phases and the damage intake stays the same for literally the entire fight, I felt like HA wouldn't do a whole lot, whereas I can use the extra DP procs to toss out some free WoGs or ShoRs to help with shield maintenance. And since I'm fairly undergeared like I said, I don't have the haste to always have the HoPo ready for every bite and stomp, so DP procs saved me from missing my mitigation quite a few times. Thoughts?
stormeagle6

Postby Chronos » Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 am

Killed him last night. OP mistweavers for this fight... Frost kited bats. Something that made an enormous difference that I didnt see emphasized was the importance of kicking turtles through incoming spinning turtles and calling it out. Our dps jumped dramatically when this was done. We had me as holypal kicking all shells, and calling it out everytime. As healing while kicking is quite difficult, I would suggest one ranged dps person kicking for breath interrupts using shells close to boss, and another ranged kicking through incoming spinning shells, using turtles that are far from boss. They would need to communicate so spinning shells kicker doesnt kick a shell that the breath kicker was planning on using. That was the nice thing about having only one good player doing the kicks, didnt have to worry about that.

I only kicked shells for boss only damage when turtles were all down. Had about five shells on floor for lust burn (only needed 2-3).
Chronos

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)