Remove Advertisements

Theck's MATLAB thread - MoP/5.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - MoP/5.x

Postby Promdates » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Foolosophy wrote:https://sites.google.com/site/matlabadin/5-2/52_CW_all.png

I don't really know how to read the weapon chart sorted by dps. Is it just the yellow lines to look at? Or is the highest dps = the one with the blue + yellow + green line which goes the most to the right?

If you're like any other raiding tank, you probably have 7.5% hit and 15% expertise. If you do, you look at the yellow mark (the important one). I believe he said that the other bars were for seeing how well the increase of hit/exp the weapons gave via rating/racial, how that compared. Basically, look at the yellow one. Here's the code sorted by DPS for the 7.5%/15% bracket.

Code: Select all
|                                                   |      |   cfg3 |  cfg3 |
| Weapon                                            | ilvl |    DPS |   HPS |
| Ook's Hozen Slicer (Heroic)                       |  463 | 136041 | 40886 |
| Inelava, Spirit of Inebriation                    |  476 | 137251 | 41223 |
| Elegion, the Fanged Crescent (Raid Finder)        |  476 | 137405 | 41339 |
| Acid-Spine Bonemace (Raid Finder)                 |  502 | 137517 | 39451 |
| Scimitar of Seven Stars (Raid Finder)             |  483 | 137607 | 41269 |
| Krol Scimitar                                     |  476 | 137681 | 41263 |
| Kilrak, Jaws of Terror (Raid Finder)              |  483 | 137841 | 41371 |
| Qon's Flaming Scimitar (Raid Finder)              |  502 | 137910 | 40971 |
| Elegion, the Fanged Crescent                      |  489 | 138070 | 41394 |
| Scimitar of Seven Stars                           |  496 | 138404 | 41361 |
| Kilrak, Jaws of Terror                            |  496 | 138526 | 41412 |
| Kilrak, Jaws of Terror (LFR+Gem)                  |  483 | 138614 | 41658 |
| Acid-Spine Bonemace                               |  522 | 138735 | 39519 |
| Worldbreaker's Stormscythe (Raid Finder)          |  502 | 138745 | 41419 |
| Elegion, the Fanged Crescent (Heroic)             |  502 | 138776 | 41430 |
| Do-tharak, the Swordbreaker (Raid Finder)         |  502 | 139096 | 41458 |
| Acid-Spine Bonemace (Thunderforged)               |  528 | 139146 | 39541 |
| Scimitar of Seven Stars (Heroic)                  |  509 | 139175 | 41406 |
| Qon's Flaming Scimitar                            |  522 | 139188 | 41036 |
| Kilrak, Jaws of Terror (Heroic)                   |  509 | 139293 | 41452 |
| Kilrak, Jaws of Terror (+Gem)                     |  496 | 139300 | 41699 |
| Acid-Spine Bonemace (Heroic)                      |  535 | 139656 | 39569 |
| Worldbreaker's Stormscythe                        |  522 | 140016 | 41484 |
| Kilrak, Jaws of Terror (Heroic+Gem)               |  509 | 140068 | 41739 |
| Qon's Flaming Scimitar (Heroic)                   |  535 | 140155 | 41084 |
| Worldbreaker's Stormscythe (Thunderforged)        |  528 | 140445 | 41506 |
| Do-tharak, the Swordbreaker                       |  522 | 140562 | 41610 |
| Worldbreaker's Stormscythe (Heroic)               |  535 | 140977 | 41533 |
| Do-tharak, the Swordbreaker (Heroic)              |  535 | 141543 | 41659 |
Promdates

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Promdates wrote:
Foolosophy wrote:https://sites.google.com/site/matlabadin/5-2/52_CW_all.png

I don't really know how to read the weapon chart sorted by dps. Is it just the yellow lines to look at? Or is the highest dps = the one with the blue + yellow + green line which goes the most to the right?

If you're like any other raiding tank, you probably have 7.5% hit and 15% expertise. If you do, you look at the yellow mark (the important one). I believe he said that the other bars were for seeing how well the increase of hit/exp the weapons gave via rating/racial, how that compared. Basically, look at the yellow one.

Or, reading the text in the post containing said graph....
Theck wrote:In practice, you'll probably be most interested in the first two configurations. A weapon with hit and expertise will let you reforge for other stats elsewhere, so the rank ordering of configuration #1 (or #2 if you have a relevant racial expertise bonus) is most applicable. Configuration #3 is there for cases where you're over-capped and can't make use of all of an items hit or expertise, which is rare. It's also applicable to situations where you'll be reforging to those caps anyway, and reforging all excess rating into non-DPS stats (dodge, parry, mastery).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby econ21 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:50 am

theckhd wrote:In practice, you'll probably be most interested in the first two configurations. A weapon with hit and expertise will let you reforge for other stats elsewhere, so the rank ordering of configuration #1 (or #2 if you have a relevant racial expertise bonus) is most applicable. Configuration #3 is there for cases where you're over-capped and can't make use of all of an items hit or expertise, which is rare. It's also applicable to situations where you'll be reforging to those caps anyway, and reforging all excess rating into non-DPS stats (dodge, parry, mastery).

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but for capped tanks (ie most of us) wouldn't the true number fall somewhere between configurations 1 and 3? Configuration 3 assumes you get no dps benefit from any excess stats when many of us would reforge to haste. However, configuration 1 probably overvalues the reforges, because haste gives lower dps than hit or expertise when those are below 7.5%.

On another point, in the next iteration, it might be good to treat weapon dps as a stat and compute it's value in the same way you do for other stats. It would help readers evaluate the benefit of weapon upgrades. Dps sims like Simcraft often evaluate weapon dps as a stat in that way.

I'm also curious how does weapon dps scale with vengeance? Does it scale well like hit/exp/haste or scarcely at all like strength?

[I make these comments after trying to reply to Klaudanaus's question in the gear help thread about upgraded LFR Kilrak vs the 502 scythe.]
econ21

Postby theckhd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:43 am

The true value of a weapon will depend on all of the rest of your gear, because it's rare that you can reforge to reach hit and exp cap exactly. So the actual value will vary based on how much of that stat allocation gets wasted, as well as what your other stats are like (ex: the rankings may differ fairly significantly if you compared 0% haste to 30% haste). What I try and give are upper and lower bounds. If weapon A is ahead of weapon B in configuration #1 but behind in config #3, then the exact ordering will obviously depend on how much of that hit/exp is getting converted to haste effectively. If A is ahead in both, then it's just clearly better.

Adding weapon DPS to the stat sim is sort of meaningless, as it's not itemized the same way as other stats. What's 10 item points worth of weapon DPS, after all? For that to be of any use, you'd need to figure out how much weapon DPS an upgrade gives you and add together all of the individual contributions from the strength and secondary stats, which is essentially what the weapon sim already tells you.

Weapon DPS isn't likely to be a huge factor anyhow, as it doesn't scale at all with Vengeance and only affects Crusader Strike.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Schroom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:42 am

I see a couple of Progression tanks using Capacitive Primal Diamond (http://www.wowhead.com/item=95346) as their meta. how big is the DPS gain for prot pallys and would it really be worth not using that juicy tankgem?
Schroom

Postby daishan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 am

I'm running about 28% haste and the dps meta gem was ending up as 9-11% of my total dps.
To me that looks like it's worth it for all but the hardest hitting physical bosses.
No one tell Blizz ok :p
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:19 am

just to compare, I took a look at Fela from Moonz (http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/d ... a/advanced), he played World Rank 1 Durumu 10 HM last week.

he got 42.40% haste unbuffed. dealt 235k DPS on Durumu 10 HM.

lightning strike did 10.4% of his DPS hitting 35 times in 5:39min with an average of 176k damage.

so I guess haste has no great impact on it, only vengeance, doesn't it?
Schroom

Postby daishan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 am

I thought all RPPM procs befitted from haste?

Fela actually has 42 Lightning Strikes 35 hits 5 crits and 2 blocks, which gives him 7.43 ppm
From one of my random 9 min logs I got 57 Lightning Strikes which works out at 6.33 ppm
Far to small a sample size to prove anything ofc.

From my very limited testing I think a conservative estimate of 8% extra dps is safe, after a night of raiding I don't think it dropped to less than that on skada for me.

For any of us that are gemming pure haste gems I think the Capacitive Primal Diamond can make a lot of sense, we've already decided to take a hit to our survivability for more dps.
On a fight like council I think it's especially good as most of the real dangerous dmg is magic so the tank meta isn't as appealing, solo tanking Tortos hm though, it'll be a while before I want to switch out the tank meta for that fight. Now just need to get myself a 2nd tank helm...
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Schroom wrote:I see a couple of Progression tanks using Capacitive Primal Diamond (http://www.wowhead.com/item=95346) as their meta. how big is the DPS gain for prot pallys and would it really be worth not using that juicy tankgem?

Both gems are really good. One gives you a huge boost to DPS and the other gives you a huge boost to survivability. That said, I have found the tank gem too amazing to ignore, but I do 25 Heroic content. My guild is largely past the DPS checks on fights, so I'm just prioritizing surviving now.
Kihra

Postby Kerriodos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Kihra wrote:
Schroom wrote:I see a couple of Progression tanks using Capacitive Primal Diamond (http://www.wowhead.com/item=95346) as their meta. how big is the DPS gain for prot pallys and would it really be worth not using that juicy tankgem?

Both gems are really good. One gives you a huge boost to DPS and the other gives you a huge boost to survivability. That said, I have found the tank gem too amazing to ignore, but I do 25 Heroic content. My guild is largely past the DPS checks on fights, so I'm just prioritizing surviving now.

Pretty much my attitude. I plan to grab a duplicate helm at some point so I can swap them in as needed inexpensively, but in the meantime I've defaulted to the tank gem because it is nice. It's not uncommon for me to forgo using Glyphed Divine Protection for something when I see that the gem is proc'd.
Kerriodos

Postby theckhd » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:02 am

I plan on getting both eventually, but I'm in the opposite position to Kihra: working on heroic modes, but not past the DPS checks yet. +10% personal DPS outweighs the survivability for me at this point.
theckhd

Postby Diceone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:30 am

Going to agree with Kihra on this one, I very much like the tank gem. The little but of rng that stops it from being an extra CD is made up for by the fact that it procs fairly often and amounts to a glyphed DP.
Sholdice of [H] Static on US-Arthas
Diceone

Postby Schroom » Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Protection

Shield of the Righteous now reduces the physical damage you take by 25, down from 30.

*cough* shouldn't make That big a difference I guess. but they keep trying getting us away from that haste stacking ^^
Schroom

Postby Fetzie » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Not sure why that would pull us away from haste stacking. That is simply a reaction to the raid dev team putting huge physical hits in the game and ShoR basically meaning we have 100% shield wall uptime for them. So we go from ~50% ShoR to ~45% ShoR...big freaking deal - not really.

The biggest thing for me will likely be me having to go through my guide changing every reference to ShoR's base damage reduction from 30% to 25%. Which will be a pain in the ass.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Kerriodos » Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am

Fetzie wrote:Not sure why that would pull us away from haste stacking. That is simply a reaction to the raid dev team putting huge physical hits in the game and ShoR basically meaning we have 100% shield wall uptime for them. So we go from ~50% ShoR to ~45% ShoR...big freaking deal - not really.

The biggest thing for me will likely be me having to go through my guide changing every reference to ShoR's base damage reduction from 30% to 25%. Which will be a pain in the ass.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll notice, practically speaking. When T15 rolled around I was really hesitant to drop the extra 10% from the T14 bonus, but once I did nothing really changed. More reduction is nice, of course, but going from Huge Damage Reduction to Slightly Less Huge Damage Reduction isn't going to be a huge change to adjust to. We're also going to have item upgrades hitting at the same time, which means we'll be gaining more mastery to make up a little of it.

Random thought, based on absolutely nothing but idle musing: could this maybe be a precursor to increasing mastery scaling for the sake of making it more competitive with haste?
Kerriodos

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations