Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby aureon » Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Sabindeus wrote:oh a new core set? crap. :|

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing Magic in the first place, keeping up is really hard when you're doing tons of other stuff with your life.

That's kind of why Commander and Modern exist!
aureon

Postby Barathorn » Tue May 07, 2013 12:36 am

Kai wrote:voice of resurgence is ridiculous. gonna be here to stay for quite a while in STD and probably good enough for modern.

This 1000%. Testing has already shown us that the G/W deck with Voices and Advent of the Wurm is incredibly strong.

BUG Control has also suprisingly been testing well against all non control decks. We haven't played it vs Bant or Esper yet but it looks very versatile and Mutilate is a massive card currently.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 07, 2013 11:57 am

aureon wrote:

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing Magic in the first place, keeping up is really hard when you're doing tons of other stuff with your life.

The problem with Modern is that all my old cards predate it. Like when I last stopped playing magic back in high school, it was during the Urza's Saga block. I have a few things from packs of Urza's Legacy but that's it. Then I picked it up again when M13 came out, and bought some M13 and Avacyn's and then had to get singles for all the crazy nonsense in Innistrad and Dark Ascension that my friends told me about to shore up my decks. So as far as Modern goes, all I have is my new cards, and that usually means I lose. :(
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shoju » Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
aureon wrote:

The problem with Modern is that all my old cards predate it. Like when I last stopped playing magic back in high school, it was during the Urza's Saga block. I have a few things from packs of Urza's Legacy but that's it. Then I picked it up again when M13 came out, and bought some M13 and Avacyn's and then had to get singles for all the crazy nonsense in Innistrad and Dark Ascension that my friends told me about to shore up my decks. So as far as Modern goes, all I have is my new cards, and that usually means I lose. :(

Not sure if I posted in this or not, but the last two "competitive" decks I fielded included

Deck 1:
Dark Ritual
Hidden Horror
Shallow Grave
Corpse Dance
Morinfen
And some dude that started with a G

And Deck 2:
Anvil of Borgarden
Megrim
Lots o' discard.

That was Tempest when MIrage block was still legal.
I have played a few times since then, but not on a competitive level. I was actually a pretty good player in Tempest. Now, My 10 year old wants to play, and we bought some starters to give it a whirl. Game seems to have not gotten stale, which is a testament to its longevity.
Shoju

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 am

So M14, whats hot and what's not?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Chmur » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 am

Barathorn wrote:So M14, whats hot and what's not?

I'd say it's hard to say yet, but of course Hydra and Ooze are stupidly strong - got blown off the table by mono G Oooze deck (Scavenging Ooze, Predator Ooze, Strangleroot Geists and to top it off Hydra to double them counters, yay!!). Young Pyromancer worked miracles in my UWR Flash deck and it's definitely far better than Assemble the Legion plan - bouncing attacker with Azorius charm making a token to block wih is way too powerful. Played against mono R aggro that was using the new Ogres at Hellrider slots - not as good as Hellriders, but not bad either. Ratchet bomb rocks as usual in control shells. Still waiting for some "fun" decks with the demon searching thingies or the cauldron combo. Got something like new enchantress deck in mind with Ajani kittens in it and I believe anything with Staff of Nin and the enchantment that makes Illusions of your opponents creatures can be played.

Oh, and monoG ramp into Garruk -> Hoof!!! is just stupid. Presuming Titans will get reprint in Theros, we're in for really great standard season again :/
Chmur

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 am

So for my silly mill deck: mfers got rid of my Mind Sculpt... now I have to mix in black for the strictly better version in Dragon's Maze :|

Good thing we're in the age of multicolor nonsense and infinite dual lands

but Millstone's back! yay

Nothing of note for my counter/burn deck...

My white token deck can probably use some tuning up, especially once the Innistrad block rotates out
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 am

I am playing around with mono green Hydra Stompy, UWR Flash/UW Flash, B/G Rock, Mono Red Burning Earth and WRB good stuff currently.

Out of the new set the card that has the most raw potential that I am trying to break is Liliana's Reaver. Really like that card.

Barathorn

Postby Chmur » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 am

Sabindeus wrote:Nothing of note for my counter/burn deck...

Run Guttersnipe + Young Pyromancer. Then come back and tell the tales :)
Chmur

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:28 am

Chmur wrote:

.... yeeeeeah I probably should, shouldn't I
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:17 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Chmur wrote:

.... yeeeeeah I probably should, shouldn't I

Or run UWR Counterburn and play 4 x Boros Charm and 4 x Warleaders Helix + Snapcasters.

Good enough to win FNM's.

Barathorn

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Barathorn wrote:Or run UWR Counterburn and play 4 x Boros Charm and 4 x Warleaders Helix + Snapcasters.

Good enough to win FNM's.

Well I don't want to invest in Snapcasters with Innistrad set to rotate out in a few months...

I just dumped a big pile of money at Trollandtoad to re-do my mill deck. It's crazy now. Gatecrash just went and did all sorts of nonsense.

Though mixing white into my counter/burn deck does seem reasonable given all the control that Azorius has... but it seems somehow not as classic that way :(
Sabindeus

Postby Nakama » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Yay MTG! I consistently draft each set a little bit on MTGO, but my work hours and limited budget mean I don't get to do too much Standard/Modern. Good to see that other people here are still in the thick of it though. :)

As for M14, I think Scavenging Ooze, Archangel of Thune, Garruk Caller of Beasts, Kalonian Hydra and Mutavault are your money cards, with Chandra Pyromaster pulling up the rear. I like Chandra a lot, but you have to get a lot of mileage out of a 4-drop currently and I don't think she quite does enough. Time and Young Pyromaster will tell though...

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:30 pm

anyone have suggestions for my Boros deck? looking for suggestions on best 1 and 2 mana creatures.
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 am

Sabindeus wrote:anyone have suggestions for my Boros deck? looking for suggestions on best 1 and 2 mana creatures.

Have a look at Craig Wescoe's World Champs Deck [he finished 5th], its pretty solid and very aggressive. The deck is about half way down the article.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11322

In other news, M14 Draft is pretty meh. Its just about blue cards and getting the best ones.

Barathorn

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum