Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 am

Shoju wrote:it would be something that had resources allocated to it.

To paraphrase Blizzard. The resources used for Pet Battles are the ones that would have gone to a new profession. Which is probably the least amount of resources a new thing could have.

I just found the idea of spectator mode to be hilarious. Similar to spectatoring in Brawler's Guild. I play games to play the game, not watch someone else play the game, and the idea that you login to wow to play pokemon in wow and now you can log in to wow to watch other people play pokemon is just funny to me.

Spectatoring in Brawler's Guild is fine. You form a giant raid. Get all the buff coverage going out, get rezes instead of run backs, discuss strategy when you die and cheers when you win. It is, you know, actual friendly community building.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 am

halabar wrote:Legal cross-server gold moving without a character transfer.

that is however based on the assumption someone will buy that pet.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 am

Flex wrote:

To paraphrase Blizzard. The resources used for Pet Battles are the ones that would have gone to a new profession. Which is probably the least amount of resources a new thing could have.

If these are the resources given to a profession, It speaks volumes to what Blizz thinks ENG is (a joke)

I just found the idea of spectator mode to be hilarious. Similar to spectatoring in Brawler's Guild. I play games to play the game, not watch someone else play the game, and the idea that you login to wow to play pokemon in wow and now you can log in to wow to watch other people play pokemon is just funny to me.

Spectatoring in Brawler's Guild is fine. You form a giant raid. Get all the buff coverage going out, get rezes instead of run backs, discuss strategy when you die and cheers when you win. It is, you know, actual friendly community building.

Wait.. In Brawler's Guild, you can raid up and get buffs, and all kinds of stuff? Eh... That's not quite what I had in mind when I was reading about it. As Silly as this sounds, that would sap a little joy from me.

I wont argue the community building aspect of it. I think that's fantastic, but the buff thing is... "meh" at best for me. (off topic I know). I'm glad to hear that Brawler's Guild is turning into a community type thing. It's something needed after the havoc that LFG and LFR had on the Server Communities.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am

Shoju wrote:If these are the resources given to a profession, It speaks volumes to what Blizz thinks ENG is (a joke)

Engineering is fine.

Shoju wrote:Wait.. In Brawler's Guild, you can raid up and get buffs, and all kinds of stuff? Eh... That's not quite what I had in mind when I was reading about it. As Silly as this sounds, that would sap a little joy from me.

So don't raid up and get buffs.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:If these are the resources given to a profession, It speaks volumes to what Blizz thinks ENG is (a joke)

Engineering is fine.

As much as I wish we got more cool stuff every patch, I'm sure more professions would love to have things that get made precisely once, and aren't major gold sinks, and remain useful for the foreseeable future (Jeeves, Mol-E). And this is on top of cheap gear upgrades that were made even cheaper (glove/belt/cloak) by making it so you didn't need to buy/farm old-world mats. And I love me some thermal anvils.

So, yeah, I'm good with not having 'the cool thing' be a mount that I'll probably never be able to afford to make anyway.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Shoju wrote:Wait.. In Brawler's Guild, you can raid up and get buffs, and all kinds of stuff? Eh... That's not quite what I had in mind when I was reading about it. As Silly as this sounds, that would sap a little joy from me.

I wont argue the community building aspect of it. I think that's fantastic, but the buff thing is... "meh" at best for me. (off topic I know). I'm glad to hear that Brawler's Guild is turning into a community type thing. It's something needed after the havoc that LFG and LFR had on the Server Communities.

You don't benefit from any group members' auras when in the arena and can't receive any group buffs while in there, but you can be given buffs before going in and keep them, which would work even if they didn't allow you to be in a group. The only way to make it really solo would be to have it wipe all buffs from the toon on entry.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 pm

benebarba wrote:As much as I wish we got more cool stuff every patch, I'm sure more professions would love to have things that get made precisely once, and aren't major gold sinks, and remain useful for the foreseeable future (Jeeves, Mol-E). And this is on top of cheap gear upgrades that were made even cheaper (glove/belt/cloak) by making it so you didn't need to buy/farm old-world mats. And I love me some thermal anvils.

Let's flip the dialog!

I'm pretty sure only Inscription, with the ink trade, is the only other profession that has neat things to make without any specific "end of life" going on with it.

Now look at Blacksmithing. What from Cataclysm do Blacksmiths use now? Look at the added patterns. 476 starter gear replaced by HoF/ToES LFR items or even normal MSV. 496 raid gear, sidegrades at best and worse than heroic items. Same for the other professions, but at least tailoring has a mount or two.

Obviously other professions need the engineering treatment of having fewer end-of-life items and more unique things to craft onto their character.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Flex wrote:
benebarba wrote:As much as I wish we got more cool stuff every patch, I'm sure more professions would love to have things that get made precisely once, and aren't major gold sinks, and remain useful for the foreseeable future (Jeeves, Mol-E). And this is on top of cheap gear upgrades that were made even cheaper (glove/belt/cloak) by making it so you didn't need to buy/farm old-world mats. And I love me some thermal anvils.

Let's flip the dialog!

I'm pretty sure only Inscription, with the ink trade, is the only other profession that has neat things to make without any specific "end of life" going on with it.

Now look at Blacksmithing. What from Cataclysm do Blacksmiths use now? Look at the added patterns. 476 starter gear replaced by HoF/ToES LFR items or even normal MSV. 496 raid gear, sidegrades at best and worse than heroic items. Same for the other professions, but at least tailoring has a mount or two.

Obviously other professions need the engineering treatment of having fewer end-of-life items and more unique things to craft onto their character.

Or Jewelcrafting, which basically is a new grind for the *actual* useful stuff every expansion (I don't really count the mounts - those are some pretty serious investments even if you are looking to sell em). I feel like they improved on some of this grind a bit this go-round, but it's still pretty much 'produce a crapload of vendor trash, then get the blues you'll actually use'.

though bonus points for being able to reenact ghost busters with the focus crystal do-dads.
benebarba

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 12:53 pm

So...have we decided that engineering is the best profession now?
Flex

Postby halabar » Tue May 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Worldie wrote:
halabar wrote:Legal cross-server gold moving without a character transfer.

that is however based on the assumption someone will buy that pet.

They sell. :twisted:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Flex wrote:So...have we decided that engineering is the best profession now?

Meh... lets see.

My hunter, miner/engineer, solos a lot of non-quest-hub content, farming rares or just going mining, etc. Engineering works great for him.

My spriest, tailor/scribe, gets just as much stat buffs from either of those than she would from engineering, and when she's doing daily quests, there's always a mailbox/vendor/repairs no more that 30 sec away on IoT, so I don't see any benefit from engineering for her.

IF you are out in the world doing a lot of things not nearby quest hubs, engineering is great, if you are always sitting in the latest quest hub, meh.. not so great. The beauty is being able to drop that mailbox and Jeeves in the middle of nowhere. But you actually have to be there to use it.

Hmm.. kinda like having a 4WD vehicle...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby bldavis » Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 pm

so you are saying most of the people that are engineers are those that stay in SW/SMC?

if we didnt have pet battles, what proffession would we get?
would it be another upgrade providing? the only slots that arent upgraded in some way by a profession are trinkets and helm (and the helms normally have gem slots)
legs - LW/Tailoring
belt - BS
shoulders - Inscription
chest/gloves/boots/bracer/cloak - enchanting
weapon - eng/enchanting

so would it be a trinket buffing? i doubt that - it would cut out a lot of the drive for new trinkets every teir
the only other slot is helms and what would you add to cover that?

cant really add a manufacturing prof, we have leather/mail in LW, cloth in Tailoring, and plate/low level mail in BS
gathering prof - ore, leather, herbs....maybe cloth? but we already have Northern Cloth Scavenging.

maybe a new secondary..but i have no idea how it would fit in or what it would cover
we already have first aid - providing a way for non healers a way to heal themselves, archeology - lore in profession form, fishing - nuff said, plus provides cooking mats, and cooking - yay noms! oh and buff food!

i get some people dont like pet battles, but i have to ask what would you like instead, given it was in place of a new prof?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby lythac » Tue May 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Flex wrote:

Hmm new profession or work on professions in general? It would be nice to see the Blacksmith catch up mechanic applied to all other professions. Did we get pet battles in place of that? (probably not)
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Flex » Tue May 07, 2013 3:58 pm

A new profession for the new expansion. Catch up mechanic for BS is a test run.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

gathering profs are getting the same treatment in 5.3
but i wouldnt mind the other prof's getting the same thing, esp since they buffed the mat generating crops in your farm

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General