Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

Flex wrote:No. Not said anywhere in the article that he expected to be the #1 pick. The closest was
It is understandable for Smith to be disappointed about not being a first-round pick, but unless he was specifically being told by his agents that he would go No. 1, we're not sure how they are at fault for his tumble out of Round 1./quote]

ESPN did a 30 for 30 about Agents and it is not uncommon for players to fire agents for a better deal/better promises. We don't know what went on behind the scenes and what Geno was told by his Agent.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Smith was under the impression that he should be and would be the No. 1 overall pick of the draft.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno- ... 46651.html

Surprise! Turns out Geno Smith is a total headcase. I can't wait for summer camp and see the Jets QB drama!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Well the sources for the first part are obviously the fired agents so take their talking points with a huge dose of doubt.

Deadspin's rundown basically jives with my own gut feeling about it.

Also league executives talk shit about prospects all the time to talk their draft position down so they can sign them for less money when it is their time to pick.
Last edited by Flex on Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Chunes » Wed May 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Can I get an ELI5 on how the hell the NFL draft works?

They might as well by scrying the futures of these players from chicken viscera for all the sense it makes to me.
Chunes

Postby Flex » Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Chunes wrote:Can I get an ELI5 on how the hell the NFL draft works?

1) Get picked like a slab of meat by a team you probably don't want to play for.
2) Hug Goddell.
3) Continue hugging.
4) Still hugging.
5) Why are we still hugging?
6) Smile like you're happy you got picked by the Browns.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Flex wrote:

1) Get picked like a slab of meat by a team you probably don't want to play for.
2) Hug Goddell.
3) Continue hugging.
4) Still hugging.
5) Why are we still hugging?
6) Smile like you're happy you got picked by the Browns.

I'm sure that one guy int he 7th round from a DII school that baffled everyone was happy we picked him.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

He was happy because he was drafted, not because he was drafted by the Browns.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Flex » Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 pm

They might as well by scrying the futures of these players from chicken viscera for all the sense it makes to me.

That's pretty much what it is.

Educated guessing based on college performance and interviews.

Players picked in round 1 and often times round 2 are expected to be starters in their rookie year, if they aren't it can be considered a bust. Rounds 3 and on are projects, players you use as backups and on special teams while they get groomed for replacing aged veterans. But you probably knew all of that so I'll leave this here. Mel Kiper sucks at draft rankings just like everyone else.
Flex

Postby Chunes » Wed May 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Haha ok, so it's basically just subjective evaluation of how these kids are doing in college ball. How is it determined which team gets first pick? some kind of lotto?
Chunes

Postby Flex » Wed May 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Chunes wrote:Haha ok, so it's basically just subjective evaluation of how these kids are doing in college ball. How is it determined which team gets first pick? some kind of lotto?

Record and assorted tiebreakers if tied.

The way the NFL is set up a team can turn around from being very bad to being very good quickly through drafting and free agency. Unfortunately sometimes are seemingly cursed to always be bad.
Flex

Postby Chunes » Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Best team gets first pick? or last?
Chunes

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Flex wrote:
Chunes wrote:Haha ok, so it's basically just subjective evaluation of how these kids are doing in college ball. How is it determined which team gets first pick? some kind of lotto?

Record and assorted tiebreakers if tied.

The way the NFL is set up a team can turn around from being very bad to being very good quickly through drafting and free agency. Unfortunately sometimes are seemingly cursed to always be bad.

Or they are owned by Jerry Jones. =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Chunes wrote:Best team gets first pick? or last?

Last pick. Picks can be traded as well.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Chunes wrote:Best team gets first pick? or last?

Normally last, but teams with the top picks can trade their picks for future 1st round picks and players, and often do so.

last year, the washington redskins traded future picks in order to get the #2 draft pick, which they used to get RGIII, and while he's a good player, I still aint convinced he's gonna last due to his playstyle (I still like Wilson more)

of course, picking first doesnt guarantee a star. there are many #1 picks that are complete busts... and then there are late round picks that are now superstars, case in point, Tom Brady... who was selected after 150 other players or so had been picked and is considered now one of the top QBs in the history of the game, if not the top (still cant beat montana imo).
---
Klaudandus

Postby Chunes » Wed May 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Gotcha. yeah RGIII was fun to watch for sure.

So if I have 1st round pick this year and I trade it to some team with 2nd round or later, how do I know that next year they'll actually have a pick worth trading back to me? What if they do really well and they're like, last round pick?
Chunes

PreviousNext

Return to General