Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Gracerath » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 pm

I also hear they are down to like 7 servers or something. Man, that is a pretty big difference from launch when it seemed like there weren't enough and everyone had queues upwards of 4 hours (or was it 6?).
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:54 pm

so..i hear it is F2P now

any confirmation? (my google skills are derping at the moment)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm

bldavis wrote:so..i hear it is F2P now

any confirmation? (my google skills are derping at the moment)

I think they just pushed the F2P patch to their test servers.

ETA: The Cartel Market is on the test servers. This is the currency used to unlock game features.
Last edited by Flex on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 pm

ah that could be what it was...

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Staatt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm still playing casually by leveling up a Sith Inquisitor (now 47). I'm mostly playing it as a single-player game with occasional flashpoints and heroic group-ups. I'll do a couple of weeks of level 50 stuff to give it another shot (I have a 50 Marauder right now), but I expect I'll start up another character as leveling is pretty fun imo.
Staatt
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Guess who's coming to the party?

HK-51 :D
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Torquemada » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 pm

sahiel wrote:Guess who's coming to the party?

HK-51 :D

Yeah. And he's been "coming" since launch. I wanted to do the questline to get him, but even now the rest of my guild has quit, and I can't justify doing the same raids every week and leveling my other 4 characters to max level to do the same content again and again. The stories are great, but the planets get very, VERY old. Pandaclysm might get old eventually, but I digress.
Torquemada

Postby sahiel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Torquemada wrote:I can't justify doing the same raids every week and leveling my other 4 characters to max level to do the same content again and again.

Maybe I'm missing the point but... you just described WoW, and basically every other MMO out there.

Whilst I certainly would have liked some crazy new model for MMOs, there's nothing that's in their model that you won't have to do *exactly* the same thing in WoW. I'm sure lots of people prefer WoW for various reasons and that's cool, but there's no real difference in what you spend your time doing in either game.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:38 pm

I think my biggest gripe with swtor was its wasted potential. They could have made a groundbreaking game, and instead they made another wow clone.

Its a common problem with most MMO releases since wow came out. MMO's cost a lot more to develop than other genres, so their's a much greater financial risk involved. This means that, rather than having true innovation in gameplay, most recent MMO's will "play it safe" and release a wow clone with a few new 'shiny' features aimed at drawing people away from Wow.

And so, after an initial, massive surge in players, the game winds up slowly bleeding out as people get bored, before eventually going to a F2P model.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Torquemada » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:25 pm

sahiel wrote:
Torquemada wrote:I can't justify doing the same raids every week and leveling my other 4 characters to max level to do the same content again and again.

Maybe I'm missing the point but... you just described WoW, and basically every other MMO out there.

Whilst I certainly would have liked some crazy new model for MMOs, there's nothing that's in their model that you won't have to do *exactly* the same thing in WoW. I'm sure lots of people prefer WoW for various reasons and that's cool, but there's no real difference in what you spend your time doing in either game.

True, but WoW is a lot better about coming out with new content on a more regular basis. The stories were good for the classes, but finishing basically 4 of them I was really done with it. I was able to level multiple alts through WoW over a period of multiple years, and it would be just different enough in playstyle and there would be a mild nostalgia factor. That was assisted by the complete revamp of the old world as well, which made it a lot less crappy for 1-60.

SWTOR plays very, very clunky compared to how WoW is currently implemented in quest design. Combined with the fact that my friends got bored before I did meant that we were barely able to field 8 man operations, which mean a lot of EV and KP.

As I'm in Afghanistan for another 10 months, I limited myself to leveling and doing dailies on my Paladin for Pandaclysm, and that did indeed get boring, which is why I stepped back from it and am now replaying through the Assassin's Creed series while I wait for AC3 to finish downloading. Not to mention the fact that on a GOOD day my ping is 800 ms makes MMOs largely unplayable here.
Torquemada

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:21 pm

ouch, and i thought my 200-250 was bad... :(

bldavis

Postby Flex » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 am

I played this a bit yesterday. Took me about 4 quests before I got tired of the fully voiced quest system. Made a trooper and since you start out as an officer in the Republic Army I find it hard to believe they send you out alone to assault an enemy base, oh and to find a woman's necklace. Why are so many necklaces lost in RPGs?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby sahiel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Flex wrote:I played this a bit yesterday. Took me about 4 quests before I got tired of the fully voiced quest system. Made a trooper and since you start out as an officer in the Republic Army I find it hard to believe they send you out alone to assault an enemy base, oh and to find a woman's necklace. Why are so many necklaces lost in RPGs?

Secret hint: It's not *actually* a necklace! :o

DUM DUM DUM! ;)
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 pm

it never is

bldavis

Postby Staatt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Has anyone tried the new expansion?
Staatt
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games