Troll lore and future expansion

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Troll lore and future expansion

Postby benebarba » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 am

Chunes wrote:I like that take on it.

There are some points in the early game that break the chronological continuity, like having valkyr rezzing forsaken in deathknell. Didn't undeads just sort of "wake up" on their own without any help from the valks in vanilla?

I think now all of the races except the blood elves and draenei see a post-shattering start point (worgen/goblins see a bit before, during and after), and that continues more or less unchanged until outland. The Draenei starting area is unchanged, not sure about the Belf area.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:40 am

benebarba wrote:
Chunes wrote:I like that take on it.

There are some points in the early game that break the chronological continuity, like having valkyr rezzing forsaken in deathknell. Didn't undeads just sort of "wake up" on their own without any help from the valks in vanilla?

I think now all of the races except the blood elves and draenei see a post-shattering start point (worgen/goblins see a bit before, during and after), and that continues more or less unchanged until outland. The Draenei starting area is unchanged, not sure about the Belf area.

But they are all at some point in the past. So if we just deal with a fresh toon at starting at whatever point in the past, it's easier to accept. The continuity is a mess anyway with Outlands and Northrend, so there's no point in trying to make further sense of it. Outlands will be even weirder once Garrosh is taken down, and you get to Nagrand and deal with both Thrall and Garrosh in pre-Cata/pre-Mists form.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am

yeah, I think wierd timelines are an inevitability in a game like WOW. Maybe some of their experiments in phasing will help that (Theramore, for example).
benebarba

Postby bldavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm

i like the idea that time is passing while you level..it makes a lot of things make sense

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 pm

DKs aren't "perfect" in their timeline since they do have to deal with Outlands, which happened prior to the whole LK debacle. Unless you're considering the DK uprising to have happened before Outlands and concludes after Outlands.

I guess you could just consider the Dark Portal a transporter to another time/place, as opposed to just another place.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am

The Burning Crusade expansion didn't really have much effect on the rest of the game world, so you can see it as kind of outside. It has to be prior to some things, but I don't think the freeing of the DKs has to take place after it. Unlike Cataclysm content pre-80.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby benebarba » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 am

KysenMurrin wrote:The Burning Crusade expansion didn't really have much effect on the rest of the game world, so you can see it as kind of outside. It has to be prior to some things, but I don't think the freeing of the DKs has to take place after it. Unlike Cataclysm content pre-80.

hmm. never thought about it that way.

I think the DK zone ending at least has to happen after Arthas has become the LK and converted Thassarian et al. to DKs (because they need to be present at the battle for light's hope chapel). And that would be somewhere after the time of the Scourge assault on Quel'Thalas? But the timing of that kind of confuses me: I think that's before the re-opening of the dark portal, but after Arthas had returned to Lorderon with his Scourge army from Northrend? It seems like it gets a little funky if you try to also work in the ability for draenei to be DKs in that starting area (assuming they are turned as a result of fallin in battle to the scourge forces either during the invasion pre-cursor to the northrend campaign or during), but I don't know if that is needed.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 am

Arthas creating the Death Knights could be anywhere from WC3. The Dark Portal reopening was long after, at the start of TBC.

The DK start zone was set shortly prior to the start of WotLK.

(Aside: You know what I'd like to see sometime in the future? A revamp of Outlands to bring it up to date paired with the introduction of a new hero class - Demon Hunter, naturally - that starts in Outland. The revamp would probably have to include a storyline of binding the remains of Draenor together to explain why it continues to exist instead of finishing the process of crumbling into the Nether.)
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Previous

Return to General