[10N] Tortos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: Tortos [10N]

Postby Belloc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 am

lakhesis wrote:I caused a couple of wipes when I tried to actually mess around & tab target through the bats, which distracted me from Tortos and/or meant I tabbed to a bat/whirlyturtle I couldn't get a SotR off on just as Tortos snapped (ouch).

However when I just completely ignored the bats (beyond facing them somewhat) and stuck to tunnelling on snapping bite it worked great.

Alternatively, you can focus target Tortos so that you can see Snapping Bite casts while still focusing on bats. This has the added benefit of allowing you to get the SotR debuff up on the bats. My experience was that SotR cast on Tortos did not hit the bats, so they were hitting me full strength every time until I started switching to them and hitting it.

Granted, the above is not necessary... but it does make the fight easier. Also, it helps to prevent situations where DPS end up pulling a bat or two off you, which is fairly common in our raids if I don't switch to the bats.
Belloc

Postby Darielle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Alternatively, you can focus target Tortos so that you can see Snapping Bite casts while still focusing on bats. This has the added benefit of allowing you to get the SotR debuff up on the bats. My experience was that SotR cast on Tortos did not hit the bats, so they were hitting me full strength every time until I started switching to them and hitting it.

?

Are you just meaning HotR and Weakened Blows?
Darielle

Postby Belloc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Darielle wrote:

?

Are you just meaning HotR and Weakened Blows?

Exactly. Sorry, I don't know why I was typing SotR :P
Belloc

Postby oldboyz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:15 pm

great great info !!

indeed, 1 palatank is fine (my raid was reluctant at start to test it)
2 hours try, several time boss down to 20-10%.... need some last ajust .i'm waiting logs, our 2 best attemps : look like i took some huge large dommage in few micro seconde (didn't even enought time to activate CD)

what helped us a lot :
-a very good kicker : sheel were send both to bats, boss and incoming turtles
-good placement vs rockfall : (all cac from left to right and right to left, half distance on right going close and away, and other half on left side doing same movement)
oldboyz

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:58 am

If you take a snapping bite while tanking bats with no CDs in place there's a good chance you'll go from 100 to 0 in under a second. If a bite will take you under the 350k threshold, all the bats will leech life at the same time. Combined with their normal attacks, this kills the tank.

One mod I've been using for years is Eavesdrop http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/f ... hp?id=5332 which makes it easy to scan death events instead of having to wait for logs.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Bemxuu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Death Note is also useful for that : )
Bemxuu

Re: [10N] Tortos

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:52 am

Recount includes that functionality, as well.
Belloc

Postby Kelerei » Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 am

Magnilda wrote:We ended up two tanking this. Our DK was having trouble taking the bats off me when I was tanking the boss so we swapped roles. The only Bats I had trouble picking up was the first wave, without vengeance stacks it was easy for one of them to wander off to the DK tank or a healer or a trigger happy DPS. But after the intiial pack my Vengeance stacks were high enough for me to aggro them with Battle Healer.

Hopefully try and solo tank it next week, would make the fight a lot simpler.

I'm running into this problem myself (I'm taking the bats, my DK co-tank is taking the boss), so what I do is that I start the pull, and then as soon as the first Rockfall ends, the DK takes the boss off me. The first wave of bats comes around 5 seconds later, so I still have enough Vengeance to make picking the bats up far less painful.

Another trick that I'm using is to glyph Consecration. As soon as the bats spawn, I throw one out into the center of the room, and just about every time, the bats will take some Consecration ticks and head straight over. Light's Hammer is also great for this, but you can only use it every second bat spawn.

Then, I have a "kick turtles here!" raid marker, and I make sure that I tank the bats there. Gives my turtle kicker a point to aim for, and once we get a surplus of turtles for Furious Stone Breath, my turtle kicker was able to have the damage taken debuff permanently on both boss and bats.

Almost got him down this way last night (being only the second full night that we got to work on it). We'll kill it next time. ;)
Kelerei

Re: [10N] Tortos

Postby Calleana » Tue May 28, 2013 5:18 am

I found Holy Prism a god send for picking up bats here, save the cooldown until the bats spawn then hit the boss with it and the bats will run straight for you (unless your druid pops tranq at the same time!). You'll then have chance to pop it again while holding the bats and it should be ready for the next spawn.

I also reccomend using battle healer glyph if you aren't already as the healing from that here is very useful for aggro if nothing else.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)