Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:43 am

Question, what is better -- an upgraded LFR kilrak with the 500 str and the prismatic socket or http://www.wowhead.com/item=95632 with the prism socket?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby econ21 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 am

Looking at Theck's weapon comparisons in his matlab thread, it's going to be really close in terms of their dps. He does not sim the upgraded LFR Kilrak, but you can interpolate based on the unupgraded LFR and normal ones. From eyeballing the numbers, it seems to depend on whether you evaluate at weapon caps (sim 3) or not (sim 1). I'd be inclined to evaluate at weapon caps, but then you'd have to factor in the extra dps from whatever extra haste you free up if you switch to the 502 weapon. All too complicated for something that's like to be really close. Theck says upgrade your Kilrak if get something 10 levels or more higher, so the 502 weapon might just nudge ahead on dps.

In terms of other stats, it's also close. But given that Kilrak gives you unreforgable parry (via strength) and mastery, whereas the 502 weapon is hit/expertise, I'd be inclined to favor the latter.

TLDR: Never mind the maths, feel the ilevel!
econ21

Postby mort » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:55 pm

I've been really unlucky with shield drops so I've been using the raid finder version of the MSV shield for months. Today I got http://www.wowhead.com/item=95515. Is the loss of strength worth the gain in mastery, haste, stamina and armor? Looks pretty obvious to me but I thought I'd ask.
mort

Postby Gab » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:38 am

I'd say it's worth it.

2642 armor, 453 stamina, 419 haste and 403 mastery in exchange for 566 str, 230 parry and 368 dodge. When reforging parry and spirit to haste and a haste gem in the SoTD.

It'll be a little weird but thats a TON of armor and quite a bit of stam not to mention better secondaries. Go for it.
Gab

Postby Schroom » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 pm

mh... although I was hoping for the token, my Bonus roll on Twins got me http://www.wowhead.com/item=94981 today.

although i am wearing http://www.wowhead.com/item=95142 atm which I guess is still better than Moonjade. but that one got such a tasty socket for a nice Exp/Hastegem and 90 Stamina socketbonus.

so... which one? stay with the Battletag or take the Moonjade?
Schroom

Postby Fenrìr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:41 am

I personally would stick with the Battletag. I don't see 90 stam making up any large contribution to a fight.

Unless you can get higher haste (or mastery) values from having the expertise on the Moonjade reforged.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Marilee » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:07 am

From Theck's blog: "When going from haste to stamina, swap trinkets before enchants before gems. . .."

Question: Does that rule apply to the JC-only special gems as well (Serpent's Eye)? My poor math skills and fuzzy logic tell me that those JC-only gems are a good place to stam stack (even though normal gems aren't), but I just want to make sure because of my low self-confidence. :P
Marilee

Postby Gab » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 am

Correct.

Gemming eyes is a 1:1 trade. In that list they would come between trinkets and chants. Trinkets being ~1.5:1, chants being ~0.9:1 and non eye gems 0.75:1.
Gab

Postby kenshin648 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am

What are the thoughts of The Planar Edge, Reborn and its upgrades as tanking weapons?
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby Winkle » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 am

kenshin648 wrote:What are the thoughts of The Planar Edge, Reborn and its upgrades as tanking weapons?

I wouldn't waste my gold/time on buying/crafting it personally. I guess it depends on how accessible other weapons will be for you. You can get an equivalent weapon to the epic planar edge from ToT LFR.
Winkle

Postby econ21 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:41 am

kenshin648 wrote:What are the thoughts of The Planar Edge, Reborn and its upgrades as tanking weapons?

It's perfectly itemised for tanks but is very costly in time and materials.

If you want a 463 starter weapon, the Klaxxi recipe ones would be cheaper but with worse stats. You'd be replacing the weapon soon, so I'd be inclined to go for the Klaxxi one on cost grounds.

The 476 version seems too costly for an interim weapon. For the content you'd bring a 476 weapon to, you could get by with a 463.

The 502 version is very attractive - as good as anything from ToT LFR - but very expensive for something that you should get from LFR, RNG willing. It's only a minor upgrade over an upgraded LFR Sha-touched weapon and obviously dominated by any T15 raid drop. So on balance, it's a great failsafe weapon if you are unlucky in or don't run ToT LFR. I may make one for an under-used alt. But it's so costly in mats and so slow to craft, I doubt mains will use it.

Ultimately, I think these weapons are fun transmog projects for BS that can be used in current content, but such usage is not their main function.
econ21

Postby Schroom » Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 am

econ21 wrote:The 502 version is very attractive - as good as anything from ToT LFR - but very expensive for something that you should get from LFR, RNG willing. It's only a minor upgrade over an upgraded LFR Sha-touched weapon and obviously dominated by any T15 raid drop. So on balance, it's a great failsafe weapon if you are unlucky in or don't run ToT LFR. I may make one for an under-used alt. But it's so costly in mats and so slow to craft, I doubt mains will use it.

*Shushhh* don't tell anyone. or no one will buy mine from the AH and make me rich.

/* it's an amazing weapon everyone. go for it */ :P
Schroom

Postby Uronaldo » Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am

Hi I have a few questions which I've researched and couldn't find any answer.

My Character is this one http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uldaman/Sidalol/

So far I'm with 11k haste and being able to keep in certain fights a 60% uptime on shor.

My questions so far are should i keep getting more haste in my gear? Should I start focusing in mastery or even stamina?

Make any sense to have a mastery set for a specific fight or haste still the best option?

Legendary metagem I`ve been discussing this with my raid leader. I want to get the dps one instead of the tanking one while he is saying the opposite. Which metagem should I get?
The only fight I take a huge amount of dmg is only H Horridon during the enrage and I think the DPS metagem could increase my dmg by 10% or even more.

Also any advice about my gear I would appreciate.

Thank you

Sorry for any english mistake isn`t my first language.
Uronaldo

Postby Worldie » Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Your metagem choice should depend on what your raid would benefit more, added survivability or extra DPS. Bare in mind the legendary dps meta is like 10% DPS bonus to your own dps.

Most raids at this point of the game benefit more from added DPS than from some RNG survivability.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zothor » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

Worldie wrote:Your metagem choice should depend on what your raid would benefit more, added survivability or extra DPS. Bare in mind the legendary dps meta is like 10% DPS bonus to your own dps.

Most raids at this point of the game benefit more from added DPS than from some RNG survivability.

I haven't seen a source for that 10% figure, although I've heard people say it's huge DPS for tanks. Do you happen to know where it came from? Given that the proc scales with AP I believe it, but I'd love to see the numbers since.

That said, I admit that I also turned my nose at first at the Indominable given that it's an uncontrollable proc, but the uptime and strength of that proc are legitimately absurd. I set a WeakAura for all of my defensives and put that in it, so I can see at a glance when it pops up, and how long I have left on it. Two things jump out:

(1) First, since it's RPPM based on incoming attacks, it's only up when you're tanking. So this is drastically more powerful on tank swap fights.
(2) Second, since it's RPPM and not ICD, it can overwrite itself. It clips, sure, but that's a solid 20-25 seconds of what is effectively a free glyphed Divine Protection.

I'm in a 25H haste gearing/stam stacking progression build, and this thing still procs like crazy. If you're in a 10M, or 25 LFR/N build where you're living with haste gemming as well, you're going to see even more insane uptimes on this thing because RPPM scales with haste. Of course, that probably applies to the DPS one as well.

In short... I have gotten noticeably more invincible since I got this thing. And no, that's not a misnomer; tanking isn't binary, as I think we've all come to accept. Smoother is better, REALLY not dead is easier for your healers to deal with than only slightly not dead, and this thing has saved my guild several kills where I've all but been the last man standing. When I've got the proc up, I can save my personal CDs; if you plan around that and you're not incredibly unlucky, it's a significant increase in defensive power.
Zothor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice