Remove Advertisements

Random musing: 4th spec for all in next expac?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Random musing: 4th spec for all in next expac?

Postby Paxen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I don't think that fixes it. High avoidance means you have to make them take more damage when they do get hit, otherwise they're just better than the other tanks.

Is that really the case? Monks get +30% parry chance from shuffle, which has close to 100% uptime. Theoretically that could be to balance out the missing dodge and parry ratings, but paladins avoid those ratings like the plague and do fine. There's already a case of avoidance being very unequal amongst tanks.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 am

The entire mechanic of Stagger is there to compensate for their lower mitigation - it allows a Monk to take more damage without being dangerously spiky. If Stagger just cut damage in half, and didn't apply it as a DoT, then you'd have that Rogue proposal above.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby culhag » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 am

Re: the Battle Mage
Isn't that concept already well covered with the Enhancement Shaman and the Ret Paladin ?
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am

I would be really interested in a Dual Wielding Shield Tank. The problem is, How do you balance it?

Shields don't have "weapon" stats, So you would be going completely off of strength. It would fit as a warrior I think. But, I would see a penalty to avoidance, based on the fact that you are DUAL. WIELDING. SHIELDS. and Shields can be cumbersome. Just look at the Illidan Shield. Could YOU carry two of those into battle? (and let's be real, we know we'd see 2x Illy Shields mogged EVERYWHERE)

So, you would have Shield Slam, There's an attack. But then what? Some abilities just wouldn't make sense "thematically" (OK, I know it's blizz, and "thematically" is a really broad, open, loose term to them) But seriously. How do you Cleave with a Shield?

It would open up some interesting perspectives. it would bring back the idea of blocking and armor and steady stream of damage VS Spike damage. I would love to see it happen. It might even hold enough interest for me to come back on a 10 day rip to try it.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 am

With the changes that they've made to rare pets and such this expac, more and more I really like the idea of MM being a petless hunter spec (or add a new ranger spec that is petless).

It seems that Blizz is putting more thought into battle pets than they are into hunter pets. Makes me sad.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Paxen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am

KysenMurrin wrote:The entire mechanic of Stagger is there to compensate for their lower mitigation - it allows a Monk to take more damage without being dangerously spiky. If Stagger just cut damage in half, and didn't apply it as a DoT, then you'd have that Rogue proposal above.

I've seen it argued over on EJ that stagger damage is so easily healed (by hots mostly) that it might as well not be there. If that's true (and there was no theorycrafting presented to back it up, only anecdotes), then there is no important difference between Stagger and the rogue effect. I haven't tanked anything beyond dungeons and LFR on my monk, so I don't know either way.

culhag wrote:Re: the Battle Mage
Isn't that concept already well covered with the Enhancement Shaman and the Ret Paladin ?

Yes, but the original concept (coming mainly from D&D) has always been about a wizard/mage that uses a sword, not other kinds of magic users who wields weapons. I do think that Enhancement Shamans is one of the best implementations of the Gish/swordmage/battle mage concept I've seen in any game, and that's mostly down to Maelstrom Weapon (bonus for having full access to lightning bolt and lava burst I guess).

Shoju wrote:I would be really interested in a Dual Wielding Shield Tank. The problem is, How do you balance it?

I'm not the right person to comment on this. I think Titan's Grip is cheesy, what do you think my opinion on dual wielding shields is :P
Paxen

Postby halabar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 am

Paxen wrote:
culhag wrote:Re: the Battle Mage

Yes, but the original concept (coming mainly from D&D) has always been about a wizard/mage that uses a sword, not other kinds of magic users who wields weapons. I do think that Enhancement Shamans is one of the best implementations of the Gish/swordmage/battle mage concept I've seen in any game, and that's mostly down to Maelstrom Weapon (bonus for having full access to lightning bolt and lava burst I guess).

To really make it different, the spec or class would have to be more about applying special spells and effects through the weapon. DKs barely touch this area with runeforging, but unless you really have a new mechanic, it's just different spells.

Pallys could get a real shockadin spec, that would be balanced for a change.

But rather than a 4th spec, I'd rather see Blizz working to make the existing specs more unique.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Paxen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 am

Anybody want to help me mock up a "barbarian" tank spec for warriors? Not much love for the stagger/regen thingy, but at least somebody liked the concept of a more savage warrior tank.

What makes a tank spec unique? Visuals and style, of course, but mechanics are just as important. A list over different areas where a spec can find its own style:

- Resources. Warriors get rage, of course, and already it's a big difference between them and Monks (imo). It should probably use Defensive Stance, so rage will come exclusively from specials.
- What are the limits on rage gen? Monks and Death Knights are limited by a steady "stream" of resources (energy and runes), while paladins and warriors are cooldown based, with procs to liven it up. If we want to have a stagger spec that's different from brewmasters it should gain resources like a prot warrior, that is cooldowns and procs. If we want it to stand out from prot warriors a better way would be to gain rage steadily (probably mostly from auto attacks), and then add an intermediate step between rage and active mitigation
- What are the effects of AM? I think a regeneration effect definetly has to be in there, some kind of heal over time like Enraged Regen and Second Wind. Probably scales off attack power. But there has to be another effect that increases EH (for want of a better word). Stagger is one way, a shield with a numeric value another (like Blood Shield). Other ideas?
- Cooldowns. Monks have some weird cooldowns, but that's more fun than Yet Another Shield Wall clone. Since shield wall requires shields, that's a good argument for skipping it. Could use Die by the Sword, but that's probably a bit OP for a real tank.

My concept was to gain resources like a prot warrior, and have Stagger and regeneration as AM. I would think that would be unique enough, but maybe we can get even more creative?
Paxen

Postby Flex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Paxen wrote:Anybody want to help me mock up a "barbarian" tank spec for warriors? Not much love for the stagger/regen thingy, but at least somebody liked the concept of a more savage warrior tank.

• Ability List: Revenge, Dodge/Parry activated Overpower, Cleave, Heroic Strike, Whirlwind and the spec specific Challenging Blow.
  • Challenging Blow: Strikes with both weapons for significant damage and generate significant rage, causes Deadly Calm. 6 second cooldown, moderate chance to reset when taking direct damage.
  • Deadly Calm: Stacks up to 2 times. Reduces rage cost of Heroic Strike and Cleave by 50%/100% and increases target cap of Cleave by 2/4.
  • They get a passive increase to store up to 200 rage.
  • AM: Damage Taken is reduced by X% for 10 seconds after using Challenging Blow and heals for Y% of damage dealt.
  • Shield Wall gets replaced with Deflection. Which is just a RP text change. Deflects all incoming damage reducing its effectiveness by 50%.
  • Demoralizing Shout becomes the spammed Shield Block ability for Barbarians. Demoralizes the enemies decreasing their physical damage done by (current rage/4)% for X seconds. Use it at 200 rage get 50% reduction, at 40 rage only 10%.
  • Shield Barrier gets a RP change to just makes it a Shout that gives a bubble.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

DK: Definitely a ranged caster int-plate type.
Monk: Ranged caster - just give them the ability to chain crackling jade lightning, and a ranged DPS Chi dump.
Priest: Holy DPS completely fleshed out as a pure DPS spec.
Hunter: Shapeshifter who could shift to his current pet with enhanced abilities. Role could shift based on pet selection.
Rogue: Rather than another boring DPS spec, how about a pure enhancement spec centred around increasing the performance of everyone else instead of focusing on his own damage. The Bard would use intellect leather and use inspirational abilities on allies and demoralising ones on bosses. Damage abilities wouldn't be impressive - this is not a leveling or solo spec.
Warlock: Demon-form tank ftw.
Mage: Magic-based tank mitigating with passive and active shields.
Warrior: Another option for the enhancement role (bring the player, not the class) would be the General, rallying his troops and exposing enemy weaknesses.
Paladin: Shockadin - duh
Shaman: Third option for the enhancement role, controlling the elements to advantage party members and weaken enemies. unfortunate that they have a spec called "enhancement" that no longer really enhances very much.

The idea of the enhancement role would be for experienced players who don't have to be meter hogs to have a good time, who can help to make up for less experienced raiders whose performance is not quite up to scratch, or make experienced players really shine. A pure support role with various symbioses with other classes.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Previous

Return to General