Aligning SotR to swing timer

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Aligning SotR to swing timer

Postby Hotzenplotz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 am

Hello

Newbie Prot Paly here.
I read somewhere that its beneficial to align SotR to the swing time.
To my swing timer? To the bosses swingtimer?
Is there an addon to track this properly?
Could someone please elaborate on this?

thanks in advance
hotzenplotz
Hotzenplotz

Re: Aligning SotR to swing timer

Postby Promdates » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 am

Use this: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bossswingtimer

It will show the target (Red line) swing, the focus (White line), and any additional mobs (gray lines) when they are attacking you.
Promdates

Postby Hotzenplotz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for the reply.
Am i right in assuming i use SotR right before the boss swings? Or am i missing the point?
Hotzenplotz

Postby Promdates » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 am

Most bosses swing for 1.5s or 2s swing timers. If you can time it so that SotR goes up just before the boss swings at you, you can get 2 boss attacks in usually.
Promdates

Postby Hotzenplotz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks you, appreciated.
Hotzenplotz

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 am

Just bare in mind this is only beneficial for your average damage taken, which usually doesn't really matter, and forces you to focus on the swing bar rather than on what's going on around you. In most situations, you will want to align Shor with whatever boss ability is threatening to oneshot you.

I would suggest leaving this to the "superpros" and worry about general surviving instead.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby mikar » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 pm

i don't think that's very practical. as a newbie prot paladin i'd just stick to focusing on the proper rotation. and even as an advanced hc tank i don't bother with that kind of meticulous timing as we're pushing ~70% uptime on ShotR anyway. there's just not much to be gained.
mikar

Postby Fetzie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:07 am

I only really used it for Sha of Fear, because Thrash is on the swing timer.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby econ21 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:17 am

Fetzie wrote:I only really used it for Sha of Fear, because Thrash is on the swing timer.

Yeah, I installed it for that. However, I never used it once I realised you could predict the thrash from a debuff icon (looked like a black hand on a white background, iirc) on the boss.
econ21

Postby samsara » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 am

mikar wrote:i don't think that's very practical. as a newbie prot paladin i'd just stick to focusing on the proper rotation. and even as an advanced hc tank i don't bother with that kind of meticulous timing as we're pushing ~70% uptime on ShotR anyway. there's just not much to be gained.

how you avieve 70% uptime of sotr?

for example i'm permanently tanking tortos yesterday evening, didn't feel that i missed lots of globals and "only" got an uptime of 54% (with an haste build and divine purpose on this fight). I think tortos is a good fight to measure this as from my point of view its a pure patchwork fight (at least in our strategy) where i stand the whole fight tanking only tortos and don't have much to do expect a few stomp anouncens, HoP's, AM's and threadreduces on the dk's :)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-h ... 797&e=1314

on my highest ranked kill i was on 57% which is still 13% lower

and if i look at treckie for example he is at 41%

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2 ... 96&e=10344
samsara

Postby Worldie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 am

Tortos is definitively not a good fight to test Sotr Uptime as you should be aligning it to Snapping bite and not spamming it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ergil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 am

Even though you align it to the Bites, you should not lose any uptime, if you play "correctly" (don't know if I am in a position to tell others they play wrong^^). Normally you will want to save 2 HoPo and only ever use SotR if you are at 5 HoPo and a Generator gets ready. This way you will (basically) always be able to use SotR if you want to and will have exactly as many as you'd have if you just spammed it.
Ergil

Postby samsara » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 am

Worldie wrote:Tortos is definitively not a good fight to test Sotr Uptime as you should be aligning it to Snapping bite and not spamming it.

you are right but i don't think any other fight is more forgiveable and lets you just spam sotr, for me at least i don't think i ate much snapping bites without the sotr buff active, at least i would have realized massive fails when the debuff is falling off too often. But the point was more that i would be interessted to raise my sotr uptime, on normal fights i'm somewhere between 45-55% and on fights where i could litteraly spam it i'm a bit hight but i have never managed to get it to 70%.
samsara

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:51 am

I think Drumumumumumumumumumumu solo tank is a slightly better fight than Tortos.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Darrak » Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Ergil wrote:Even though you align it to the Bites, you should not lose any uptime, if you play "correctly" (don't know if I am in a position to tell others they play wrong^^). Normally you will want to save 2 HoPo and only ever use SotR if you are at 5 HoPo and a Generator gets ready. This way you will (basically) always be able to use SotR if you want to and will have exactly as many as you'd have if you just spammed it.

some of us trade a few holy power generators on tortos for bigger dps
Darrak

Return to Basic Training & Talents