Random musing: 4th spec for all in next expac?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Random musing: 4th spec for all in next expac?

Postby bldavis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 pm

its mostly based on DK..it is something that would need some more work

BrMs are mostly the prototypical drunken master style of fighting, where as rogue tanks would be the most master fencer ..at least that is what i was thinking

the difference between a shockadin and smite priest is basically what they are capable of as a class
remembering that paladins are mostly former priests and clerics, maybe a paladin is getting back to their roots and being a smite priest, but are still able to have hte big weapon and heavy armor

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 pm

bldavis wrote:Mage - i would say a time warping based healer for their 4th..not real sure on this one

I like the theme of timeshifted healing, but you'd have to be careful not to end up with just another Holy priest or Resto Druid.

Perhaps it would be more a support than a full on healer with their abilities even allowing the extention of some buffs/reduction of some debuffs.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelerei » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:02 pm

My crazy thoughts:

Death Knight: I'd combine the idea of splitting Unholy into different pet/disease specs and the idea of DKs having a necromatic spellcaster spec (I could see this happening to the the "disease" spec). And hey, we'd have more than one spec being able to use intellect plate.

Druid: Has 4 specs already. :P

Hunter: I seem to remember that back in vanilla, Blizz intended to make Survival a melee-based spec. We all know that that didn't turn out too well, but if they did it properly this time around...

Mage: I loved the time-warping healer suggestion. This could actually work quite well. Make it more of a support role, but with the ability to extend the duration of buffs/debuffs (the time-warping mage would actually not have great output himself/herself, but would increase the output of the rest of the party -- can you imagine a mage increasing the duration of Bloodlust, for example?), and you have a very unique idea -- difficult to pull off though, and even harder to balance.

Monk: I don't know. The only thing that I can think of is a caster DPS spec, and I'm struggling to fit this into the monk archetype. But it's another thing that could work out nicely.

Paladin: Shockadins. Most definitely shockadins. Another use for intellect plate!

Priest: It would need to be a DPS spec, but one with a different playstyle than shadow. Probably a burst-DPS playstyle, since my understanding of shadow is all about DoTs...

Rogue: While a tank spec sounds great (my rogue in my raid team would love to evasion tank!), I just don't see this fitting into the rogue archetype. I'm going to go with a ranged "sniper"-style spec, since that's the sort of thing I would imagine a rogue doing. They'd use the same weapons as hunters do currently. Though, I don't envy the poor sod who would have to balance this for PvP...

Shaman: Many people would like to see shaman tanking make a comeback, and I'm one of them.

Warlock: I liked the Demon Hunter suggestion, but I'd prefer to see the Demon Hunter as an additional hero class in the future if/when we have to fight the Burning Legion again. Though, the ability to transform into a demon and tank everything (*cough* Illidan after consuming the Skull of Guldan) is a really cool idea. And besides, clothie "tanks" is a novel idea that could really be explored.

Warrior: Second tank spec, though it would need a very different play style than the current tank spec. One could combine the current prot warrior and blood DK styles, but then you'd end up with something similar to us prot pallies. That said, I like the idea of something fitting in with the Barbarian archetype.
Kelerei

Postby Passionario » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Priest: A pet-based DPS spec.

If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm

Some additional ideas for the Time Warping Mage:

- Freeze Time: AoE bubble (a la PW:B or AMZ) that "freezes" all buffs at their current duration, HoTs continue to tick, but time doesn't get eaten. Alternatively could freeze all buffs and debuffs with ticks not happening (nor damage in the case of debuffs) though this would be anti-synergy between mages and druids.
- Could work something out with spell-steal that allows them to switch the stolen buff to another player or through the use of "time shifting" duplicate stacks of things like lifebloom.
- Time Capture: Save the current status of a player (buffs/debuffs/possibly hp & mana totals) that you allows you "reset" a player later in the fight.
- Stitch in Time: place a buff on the player that reduces the damage of the next hit (almost a bubble or damage reduction buff, but on a smaller scale to make it more "spammable")
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 am

I can't help feel that a support spec with things like buff extension would be hard to balance, but I'm liking these time twisting concepts. It's given me a couple ideas -

- Reworking Alter Time to be castable on any target. Could be used for dps as it is now, or to save tank health when they're about to take a big hit.
- Stop Time, a major cooldown that freezes all enemies in place for a couple of seconds - this would pause all enemy attacks and casting, allowing players to position and heal up before something big. The incoming attacks would still continue once it expired - it wouldn't interrupt. (Though I'm not sure how this'd work if the tanks were able to move out of melee range of a boss during its effect, could be exploitable.)
- A Mage battle res.
- Reverse Time - a channelled heal that "reverses" all damage received in the last x seconds. Say a tank takes hits for 50k, 100k, 10k aoe tick, 80k over 5 seconds; Reverse Time would heal for 80k, 10k, 100k, 50k over 5 seconds, which could be sped up with haste.

I doubt there's a snowflake's chance in hell of this ever existing as a new spec, but it's fun to think about.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby culhag » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 am

What I think would be cool would be an "Air Mage" spec that uses the sonic pulse graphics from Atramedes and Zorlok.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 am

The time mage concept is pure awesome! (I think it would be ridiculously hard to balance, because the results would be so different from what other specs can do, but it's fun to think about.)

For the warrior tank, I think with stagger and regen it would be quite different from a DK. Sure, it's based on self-heals, but the DK uses shields and burst healing. "Barbarian" would convert damage to dots and then counter it with self-hots. Would perhaps be closer to Brewmaster than DK. This would be sufficiently different from Prot tanking that it would be a cool change for warriors IMO.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 am

My thought on reading the Warrior idea was that it just seemed too much like a Brewmaster clone, tbh.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby lythac » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:30 am

I'm pretty certain there has been a blue post since MoP that they do not want to add additional raid roles to classes. Worry that some darling pure DPS players would be under pressure from their evil guilds to pick up a healing/tanking spec. How many times have struggling guilds been "Oh only if we had more DPS!" (I'm sure it has happened).

So with that in mind my suggestions focus around adding a ranged or melee DPS spec to increase raid flexibility without any additional loot woes (sure they won't want the exact same stats). And for some classes I don't really have an idea for.

Death Knight: Ranged DPS - Necromancer. Uses intellect gear
I'd combine the idea of splitting Unholy into different pet/disease specs and the idea of DKs having a necromatic spellcaster spec (I could see this happening to the the "disease" spec). And hey, we'd have more than one spec being able to use intellect plate.

Druid: Already have 4 specs.

Hunter: Melee DPS. Uses existing gear.

Mage: Melee DPS - Battle Mage. Uses existing gear, talent which converts SP to AP.

Monk:

Paladin: Ranged DPS - Shockadin. uses intellect plate. Obvious.

Priest:

Rogue: Ranged DPS - Star Throwing ninja. I saw sniper type spec mentioned earlier, not sure what weapon would be best suited as thrown weapons have been removed (?) and I do not like the idea of them with a bow/gun.

Shaman:

Warlock:

Warrior: Already have 4 specs, Prot, Arms, TG, SMF.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Fetzie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 am

How many times have struggling guilds been "Oh only if we had more DPS!" (I'm sure it has happened).

My last guild collapsed because of a lack of decent DPS.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Paxen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:26 am

lythac wrote:I'm pretty certain there has been a blue post since MoP that they do not want to add additional raid roles to classes. Worry that some darling pure DPS players would be under pressure from their evil guilds to pick up a healing/tanking spec. How many times have struggling guilds been "Oh only if we had more DPS!" (I'm sure it has happened).

And if I hadn't seen a double handful of retpalas and dps DKs hanging around in LFR waiting for that tank that never joins I might even agree with them.

But I don't. TBH I think that if most classes could fulfill multiple roles it would be easier to accept that people play the role they like, and not every role that their class can be. A dps warrior wouldn't be under more pressure to tank than a warlock or mage.

Melee mage would be cool. Not as cool as the time mage, but easier to implement. The Enhancement shaman is the obvious template (best battle mage in any game, IMHO). Would need some kind of ability so that Staffs aren't favored, I think the archetypal battle mage would use a spellpower sword and an offhand item.

Abilities could be:
- A primary weapon attack
- A melee range spell attack ("touch attack" to use D&D terminology)
One of these is a cooldown, the other is the filler
- A 10-second cooldown that is a damaging melee attack, but that also allows the mage to cast one mage spell as an instant (the mage can choose almost whatever he likes from the normal mage spells - the MW weapon analogy). There's also a proc that can reset the cooldown of the "enabler" spell.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 am

I don't see why a melee mage would need to convert SP to AP, lythac. Base them around spells that use the weapon to prevent them just attacking at range, but otherwise treat them like a caster for damage scaling. You could even have their weapon swings deal magic damage. Just because they're in melee range doesn't mean they need to work like a physical dps.

Hmm. Idea:
- Make the Armor spells turn offensive when used by this spec. Instead of applying effects when struck, they apply them when the Mage hits with a melee attack. Frost Armor = slow, Molten Armor = damage, Mage Armor remains the same.
- Interesting things could be done with spells like Cone of Cold, Dragon's Breath, or Arcane Explosion for this spec. Could even take one or more of those spells away from the existing specs and make it melee-exclusive (Dragon's Breath would be my choice).

Hmm. Unfortunately all my Battlemage ideas are blending the elemental flavours of the three current specs, when current trends are to divide them up more by spell type.

Edit: I'm starting to smell a new class idea forming. Time mage and Battlemage as two of the specs. Perhaps go Heal/Melee/Ranged, with a wind mage as the third option. Edit: Not wind mage. Illusionist. Timetwister/Battlemage/Illusionist. That's how you keep it distinct from the existing mage specs, by not associating with elements.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:58 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Avoidance tanking is virtually unbalanceable alongside other tank designs, so it would be hard to add a Rogue tank.

Swashbuckling
Passive
Reduces all damage dealt to the Rogue by the sum of their Dodge and Parry chances.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:59 am

I don't think that fixes it. High avoidance means you have to make them take more damage when they do get hit, otherwise they're just better than the other tanks.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General