Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am

Cool, good arguments, thanks guys.

My real aversion is to multi-colored cards as I'm not used to the sheer excess of dual-lands that we have nowadays...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Zonzede » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 am

Sweet, a reason to come back to this forum.
Heading to a 2k event this morning. Not much a fan of standard right now, but wish me luck.
Anybody play commander heavily? It's really popular round me, most folks I know have upwards of 3 or 4 decks for it.
Zonzede

Postby Barathorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Lost my last 2 matches to drop out of contention in Saturdays PTQ, the G/R aggro deck did really well but my last two matches were just disappointing and I went from 5-1 and being 5th to 5-3 and being 34/187.

Second to last match in the final game [we are 1-1] my opponent casts in subsequant turns, Rhox Faithmender, Rhox Faithmender, Thragtusk to gain 20 life /sigh and in the last match my opponent emptied his hand games 1 and 3 by turn 3 with triple Burning Tree Emmissary which you can't beat easily.

Bad beat stories are the best right? :cry:

@ Zonzede, EDH is the one format I haven't played, I find it difficult to detatch from 'competitive mode' which kinda makes EDH pointles for me. We generally play board games to chill out, things like King of Tokyo, Shadow Hunter, Ascension, Battlecars and LOTR Risk.

Did anyone else play MTG this weekend? I didn't bother going to the 1st English WMCQ on Sunday, I was magicked out after Saturday. 2 good friends won the PTQ and WMCQ this weekend though so all was good!
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Zonzede » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 am

My performance was nothing short of pitiful this last weekend. 0-3 drop. Friend of mine took it though. Ate Wheaties out of the trophy cup.

As for competitive commander, go for it. There's no reason you have to play with the mitts on. Just dangle a prize out there and watch Hermit Combo, Niv-Mizzet drawfest, and Arcum Dagsson decks pop out of the woodwork. Folks only keep it civil because it's all for fun =) It's why Wiz only sells product for it and doesn't sanction. Vintage isn't very popular because of the teeth and pricetag, so they keep Singleton Vintage tame by not warranting them.

We love some board games here too. Lots of Ascension, Munchkin, and Catan especially. Risk just gets people angry at each other for some reason.
Zonzede

Postby aureon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 am

Zonzede wrote:Sweet, a reason to come back to this forum.
Heading to a 2k event this morning. Not much a fan of standard right now, but wish me luck.
Anybody play commander heavily? It's really popular round me, most folks I know have upwards of 3 or 4 decks for it.

Seven decks here.
Metagame started as "All-in-good-fun", and descended rapidly into competitive stuff when someone brought in infest rush and [url=http://magiccards.info/arb/en/124.html]Uril[/uril] decks.

Believe it or not, a Child of Alara deck that is substantially "Every big card i couldn't ever play, plus lots of controls" is pretty top of the heap. Since the rules were amended to make clear the fact that you cannot move the commander from the graveyard to command zone, and just use the substitution effect, it had to run some gy-hate and reanimator-like stuff.
Not that reanimator-like stuff hurt it, tbh. Worthy Cause was an unexpected gem.

Since we're there, bara, you've got an idea of how the stack order goes for Scapegoat sacrificing Child of Alara?
Sacrifice cost-pay, and that runs first because it's out of stack
But now, who gets first on the stack, the go-to-graveyard-effect or the spell-effect?
Anything without green that isn't a low-cost combo/control (which is Dagsson and Vendilion Clique
Last edited by aureon on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
aureon

Postby Zonzede » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 am

Pay the costs for Scapegoat, Scapegoat is placed on the stack. Child of Alara triggers, placed above it. Resolving, child nukes the world, then scapegoat can return any critters that remain through whatever means.
Zonzede

Postby Barathorn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 am

Zonzede wrote:Pay the costs for Scapegoat, Scapegoat is placed on the stack. Child of Alara triggers, placed above it. Resolving, child nukes the world, then scapegoat can return any critters that remain through whatever means.

I had to check with a friend but this is correct, anything still alive [ie - through being indestructable], can be returned via scapegoat when it resolves after the child nukes the world, [ie - anything you control critter wise can then be returned to its owners hand].

This is an odd one apparently as the oracle text changes the result compared to the original card text.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Thalia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 am

We are really excited guys!

Uncle's Games (our next door shop neighbor) was tapped to be the biggest Pre-Release event on the Eastside of Seattle and they are being prompted and promoted by Wizard's too. I guess it doesn't hurt that Wizard's of the Coast is 10 minutes down the Freeway from us.

We got asked by Uncle's to be the singles vendor at the event. We are so psyched!~!!! Our first time so we are figuring out logistics and set up.

It's gonna be a projected 600 people attending.

Anyone who has gone to a PTQ with traders/vendors = All advice/suggestions are welcome please :D
Thalia

Postby Barathorn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am

Thalia wrote:We are really excited guys!

Uncle's Games (our next door shop neighbor) was tapped to be the biggest Pre-Release event on the Eastside of Seattle and they are being prompted and promoted by Wizard's too. I guess it doesn't hurt that Wizard's of the Coast is 10 minutes down the Freeway from us.

We got asked by Uncle's to be the singles vendor at the event. We are so psyched!~!!! Our first time so we are figuring out logistics and set up.

It's gonna be a projected 600 people attending.

Anyone who has gone to a PTQ with traders/vendors = All advice/suggestions are welcome please :D

Firstly well done. This will be a good thing for your store!

From my experiances Pre-Releases are wierd in terms of singles sales, people want the new cards and so this may affect the sale of your older cards. You probably want to have a good stock of commons and uncommons from RTR and Gatecrash plus the obvious rares and mythics that sell on a regular basis. Shocklands etc.

What you should be looking to do is buy cards that are going to sell over the next few weeks cheaply. I can definately tell you now that the new Blue/Red Planeswalker is VERY much on everyones wish list now. You might want to get some of those cheap if possible from people trading cards in at the event. We always had a wipeable board up with the prices we were buying cards in at and we just wiped out cards or lowered prices as we saw fit during the day. Check with your TO to make sure this is all ok first obviously!

Once the full spoiler is released if any playable cards have been reprinted you may be able to get other versions of these cards cheap and then sell them on for a decent profit [things like old style bordered cards such as Dissipate from Mirage sold out really quickly from my folder when it was reprinted recently as did shock lands [well duh] :)].

Staffing is probably another big thing, have enough staff but not too many!

/edit - I forgot this - print up 500 business cards with your shop details on [you can get these cheaply online] and give the cards out with every purchase from yourself, free advertising is always good!

Barathorn

Postby aureon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Okay, Wizards.
What the heck?
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachme ... 1365171272
So, UU counterspell was too strong for Standard.
Let's print a WUU counterspell+Orim's chant!
aureon

Postby Kai » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am

that's substantially worse then counterspell.
Kai

Postby Barathorn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 am

aureon wrote:Okay, Wizards.
What the heck?
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachme ... 1365171272
So, UU counterspell was too strong for Standard.
Let's print a WUU counterspell+Orim's chant!

I am so uncertain about this card. Every bone in my body says this is powerful and yet my brain says probably a 2 of in a few decks.

Will be a lot more powerful when Cavern of Souls rotates out of standard.

I will get a playset but I won't pay silly money for them, I will wait until they slump to @ $3-4 and then get them as I see them being a $7-10 after rotation.

I really really like the new 2/1 Zombie Guy.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141223&d=1365653080

Will definately see play.

Barathorn

Postby aureon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm a bit out of touch with non-commander metagame lately, but ohwell.
In other news, planeswalkers:
LB proof, 4hp for 2UR, 3 turns to load up a substantially win button, with a +1 effect that isn't half bad.
-2 could be very situationally useful, i guess.
Does blue/red control still have a place? Bolting creatures used to be fun.
aureon

Postby Nooska » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 am

-2? -7? +1? what does those numbers mean? (I can see its been a LONG time since I last played MTG)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Kai » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 am

that planeswalker starts with 4 'loyality'. when your opponent attacks you with creatures, he can choose to either attack you or a planeswalker you control. if an opponent does direct dmg to you, he can chose to redirect that to a planeswalker as well (upon resolution of the dmging spell).

so that planeswalker basically has a toughness of 4. now his abilities work with that toughness/loyality. the plus abilities are usually very minor stuff (as it boosts the loyality) and the negative abilities do good stuff (lightning bolt in this case). then the bottom ability is the 'ultimate'. typically if you charge up a PW long enough to activate that, the ability is powerful enough to win the game pretty much on the spot.

couple of PWs as examples:

Most of these are very powerful, jace was actually the most powerful card they printed in a long time and also one of the first cards since an equally long time that ended up getting banned in standard.
Kai

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum