Remove Advertisements

Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby Kai » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 am

the mtgo client just makes me cry. the worst part is that they reworked it and the new one is even worse. cards randomly resize, HP and cards in hand numbers moved more to the side and made super small. Guess I am just used to the old one, but I don't know anyone that has anything good to say about the new one.

there's a few decent streams on twitch. the best probably being michael jacob (google for darkestmage twitch), streaming an average of 8h per day or so (yep, crackhead), playing various constructed formats and drafts/sealeds. although if you are not somewhat up to date, could be problematic following that. the coverage from the big tournaments is also quite good now, at least not comparable to what it was 10 years ago. lots of stuff on youtube, under 'magicprotour' I believe.
Kai

Postby Kai » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 am

the mtgo client just makes me cry. the worst part is that they reworked it and the new one is even worse. cards randomly resize, HP and cards in hand numbers moved more to the side and made super small. Guess I am just used to the old one, but I don't know anyone that has anything good to say about the new one.

there's a few decent streams on twitch. the best probably being michael jacob (google for darkestmage twitch), streaming an average of 8h per day or so (yep, crackhead), playing various constructed formats and drafts/sealeds. although if you are not somewhat up to date, could be problematic following that. the coverage from the big tournaments is also quite good now, at least not comparable to what it was 10 years ago. lots of stuff on youtube, under 'magicprotour' I believe.
Kai

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Barathorn wrote:
Erendis wrote:I started playing again recently. Built a Red/Blue control deck on the cheap. I think the Sulfur Falls and Steam Vents are my most expensive cards.

Entirely viable but not tier 1 [yet :)]. I have a soft spot for Red/Blue, won a lot of games playing counterhammer in the late 90's.

Counterflux is strong currently, even with Cavern of Souls and creatures being a big thing.

Oh thank god. Back in the day (like high school) I ran a red/blue counterburn deck and I loved it to bits. Nowadays that seems really difficult to pull off. Since I'm not intimately familiar with all the cards available in Standard, what stuff would you recommend for building that kind of deck nowadays?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 am

Sab,

I have seen this post and haven't forgotten about you, I will post a budget list and a money doesn't matter list when possible!

Bara.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 am

Funtimes Budget FNM List.

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
3 Izzet Charm
3 Think Twice
2 Rolling Temblor
2 Unsummon
4 Syncopate
2 Dissipate
1 Devils Play
1 Runechanters Pike

1 Niv-Mizzit Dracogenius
2 Izzet Staticaster
2 Hypersonic Dragon
4 Auger of Bolas

4 Izzet Guildgate
11 Mountain
10 Island

Tier 2-3 Competitive

4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Auger of Bolas
4 Boras Reckoner
2 Thundermaw Hellkite

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
2 Izzet Charm
2 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Think Twice
3 Syncopate
1 Dissipate
1 Counterflux
1 Devils Play

4 Steam Vents
4 Sulphur Cliffs
2 Isolated Lighthouse
1 Cavern of Souls
7 Mountains
7 Islands
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 am

Comparing your lists to the deck I built, it looks like I'm using shitty shitty counterspells and too many of them. And card draw is more necessary than I ever pegged it. Also I am bad at creatures. :x

thanks dude I appreciate it!!
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 am

QUestion: I don't understand Counterflux exactly... why is it good?
Sabindeus

Postby Alacia » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 am

Sabindeus wrote:QUestion: I don't understand Counterflux exactly... why is it good?

In Standard, it's pretty much just an uncounterable counterspell. The Overload might have some application in other formats (such as against Storm), but there's generally better alternatives there.
Alacia

Postby Passionario » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:46 am

Sabindeus wrote:QUestion: I don't understand Counterflux exactly... why is it good?

It's a Last Word that costs 3 mana. What's not to like?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Barathorn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:43 am

Sabindeus wrote:Comparing your lists to the deck I built, it looks like I'm using shitty shitty counterspells and too many of them. And card draw is more necessary than I ever pegged it. Also I am bad at creatures. :x

thanks dude I appreciate it!!

No worries, I don't think either list is amazing but should be ok for funtimes at an average competitive level [FNM or local store event] but I wouldn't take them to a GP Trial or anything of that level or above.

We have a PTQ and a WMCQ this coming weekend. Our entire team has no idea what to play that we enjoy. It is looking like most are playing Reanimator Junk or Bant Hexproof. The only other option is Esper Control which I don't really want to play.

This is what I think I am going to sleeve up.

4 x Stromkirk Noble
4 x Rakdos Cackler
4 X Burning Tree Emmissary
4 x Lightning Mauler
4 x Flinthoof Boar
4 x Boros Reckoner
4 x Hellrider
3 x Ghor Clan Rampager

4 Searing Spear
4 Brimstone Volley

4 Stomping Ground
4 Rootbound Crag
13 Mountain

Very aggressive.

Barathorn

Postby Invisusira » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:23 am

Alacia wrote:

In Standard, it's pretty much just an uncounterable counterspell. The Overload might have some application in other formats (such as against Storm), but there's generally better alternatives there.

Whoa. I may need that for my deck.
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Alacia wrote:

uncounterable counterspell sounds like a thing you'd sideboard, not maindeck....
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 pm

It's pretty much the same cost as a non-counterable counterspell (UUR instead of UU1) so why not?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Kai » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:41 am

counterspell doesn't exist any more. even mana leak was deemed 'too powerful' for STD. all you have are 3 mana counters and if you are UR, why run cancel over counterflux, if you got the latter?
it's not even a great sideboard card vs other blue decks, you'd much rather board in dispel as you're mainly fightning over sphinx revelation these days and countering opponents or protecting yours for just one mana is great.
Kai

Postby Barathorn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 am

Given the choice [and metagame allowing me to] I would run 4 Syncopate and 4 Dissipate as it attempts to stop the Junk Reanimator decks but eventually they get a Cavern and make a Craterhoof anyway or make an early Lox Smiter so you have to look at your options.

Counterflux is great for counterspell battles and for stopping the 2nd - 3rd Sphinxes Revelation but its best use is making sure in any long game that your key spell resolves, be it a Devils Play, Sphinxes or Psychic Spiral.

As I said I don't think the U/R decks are overly competitive but Counterflux is definately a competitive card that will come into its own when Cavern of Souls rotates out.

I do agree with Kai though that Dispel is a really good card, it just doesn't feel relavent currently in most matches other than an Esper Mirror.

Barathorn

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum