Remove Advertisements

Sacred shield

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Zothor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 am

Promdates wrote:Alabaster Shield is terrible on Jin'Rokh, I reccomend going with Focused Shield for MOAR DEEPS.


What's the basis for this claim against Alabaster Shield? it's in my default setup so I'm curious... is it the tank swap, such that you're not blocking all the time? Is Focused Shield preferable deeps in ALL tank swap situations? I haven't seen recent numbers on DPS talents.


theckhd wrote:I'm actually pretty bad at keeping SS up. It's one of the reasons my WeakAura for it is so "obnoxious."


I loveeeeee the obnoxious bounce. All things that involve "you should really be doing this or you might die from your own badness" should bounce obnoxiously.
Zothor
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Promdates » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 am

Zothor wrote:What's the basis for this claim against Alabaster Shield? it's in my default setup so I'm curious... is it the tank swap, such that you're not blocking all the time? Is Focused Shield preferable deeps in ALL tank swap situations? I haven't seen recent numbers on DPS talents.


I've just found through testing that having Alabaster Shield is better for faster hitting boss or boss fights with adds (like if you tank adds on Horridon, or bats on Tortos) because you're going to have a higher chance of reaching 3 stacks of Alabaster before you use SotR.

Avenger's Shield is already a heavy hitter, glyphing it to do 30% more damage to a single target makes it a crazy good ability. Looking my recent Iron Qon kill, I used GoFS instead of GoAS. Shield of the Righteous did an average of 124,671.3 damage per non-crit, while Avenger's Shield did 260,566.4. Even if I had a permanent 3 stacks, SotR would only do about 199,473.6 average. AS without the glyph would do 200,435.
User avatar
Promdates
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Alrinea » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:07 am

does anybody happen to have a proper "sacred shield is about to run out, you should probably refresh it if you dont wanna be a dummy" weakauras string? the only thing i can fabricate with weakauras is insufficient, as it for some reason cant track spellID and time remaining simultaniously, so you'd need to write a custom trigger for this (or get blizz to change the name of the absorb buff to something that is not "Sacred Shield" )and i have no clue how exactly to do either of those.
what i am currently using is just a inverse aura filter that checks for spellid 20925 and displays a red texture in the middle of my screen, but that only yields a uptime of ~80% for me. ideally i'd like the same texture in yellow if it drops below 7s remaining so i can get way closer to 100%. considered just adding a display of the time remaining on SS onto my screen which i can then check occasionally - but prefer it if weakauras does the "compare time remaining to 7" for me - after all, thats why i am using the addon in the first place, to filter and display information for me.
Alrinea
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 4:00 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Promdates » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 am

You can copy Theck's WA string from sacredduty.net, and then just remove all of the stuff you don't want to use. His SS tracker is excellent imo.
User avatar
Promdates
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Zothor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Promdates wrote:You can copy Theck's WA string from sacredduty.net, and then just learn to use all the other stuff and ponder how you ever lived without it. His SS tracker is excellent imo.


... fixt. (seriously, there's some good info in that weakauras HUD)
Zothor
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Alrinea » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Zothor wrote:
Promdates wrote:You can copy Theck's WA string from sacredduty.net, and then just learn to use all the other stuff and ponder how you ever lived without it. His SS tracker is excellent imo.


... fixt. (seriously, there's some good info in that weakauras HUD)


tried that ages ago, just imported the newest version just to be sure - doesnt do what i want it to do (see my post above). thanks though. should have prolly asked that in interface forums anyway.
basically what it comes down to: i dont like having stuff on my screen that i dont care about, if my SS/WB have 10+ seconds on them i dont care if its 15 or 30 seconds left. all i want is reminders like "hey, WB falls of in 5s. should prolly do sth about that, dummy". that is probably down to personal preference though. i just like having my screen be as empty as possible when things are fine (exceptions obviously being HoPo tracker & sotr time).

edit: just to clarify, for WB the aura i want is simple, as it doesnt need full scan to tell between two auras of the same name.
Alrinea
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 4:00 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby theckhd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 am

There's no way to do what you want in WA without a custom trigger, unfortunately. I wish they would add a "time remaining" condition when you scan by spellid.

It shouldn't be too hard to write a custom trigger for it though, so I'll try next time I'm in-game.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Sacred shield

Postby pvita » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 am

@Alrinea: Check my posting in UI section. There is a slim chance it does what you are looking for.

PS: There is a micro tiny error included. In the computation of the next Sacred Shield strength should be the value 342.5 instead of 343. I was tired at midnight and took it from, aua...do not crucify me, the tooltip instead of Theck's blog.
pvita
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Alrinea » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:43 am

pvita wrote:@Alrinea: Check my posting in UI section. There is a slim chance it does what you are looking for.

PS: There is a micro tiny error included. In the computation of the next Sacred Shield strength should be the value 342.5 instead of 343. I was tired at midnight and took it from, aua...do not crucify me, the tooltip instead of Theck's blog.


awesome, thank you very much! thats me taken care of xD
Alrinea
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 4:00 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Alcarius » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:52 pm

My personal uptime on SS varies from fight to fight. I actually throw it on the other tank during taunt swap fights to help out with damage, since they get the ridiculously big absorb bubbles if they get my SS while I have high vengeance. So, make sure you're considering things like that into your personal uptime, meaning how much it is on yourself.
Alcarius
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:53 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Calaban » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 am

Alcarius wrote:My personal uptime on SS varies from fight to fight. I actually throw it on the other tank during taunt swap fights to help out with damage, since they get the ridiculously big absorb bubbles if they get my SS while I have high vengeance. So, make sure you're considering things like that into your personal uptime, meaning how much it is on yourself.


This is what you should be doing all the time if not tanking!
For me this means I am around 60% of uptime on myself and 40%ish on the other tank.
But I was too lazy to make a WA for the OT until now. Might get you something around tonight or tomorrow.
Calaban
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Jaitee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm

theckhd wrote:I'm actually pretty bad at keeping SS up. It's one of the reasons my WeakAura for it is so "obnoxious." I tend to prioritize abilities that do DPS and refresh SS only if (a) I have a truly empty GCD or (b) it's fallen off and I'm tanking. When I'm off-tanking, I may let it drop for a while and focus on DPS until right before I'm going to taunt.

I'd probably be a lot better about it if I shifted the SS icon on my priority row over ahead of Consecration. That might be something to tweak in my setup (i.e. show it ahead of or overtop the Consecration icon, and only have it appear when the duration on SS is less than 6-8 seconds).


when im offtanking i cast SS on my offtank and recast it on myself a few seconds before ill have to taunt back since its just as powerful a tool when cast on another player exception being dot based tank swap fights where it will often absorb most of the dot on me and if i have no vengeance when it expires on them i usually wont bother refreshing it
its also handy for casting on a player who might need that extra absorb i.e on heroic jinrohk last night we had a semi pug in who was so undergeared that he couldnt survive ionization without a CD so id cast SS on him a few seconds before ionization then switch it back to me after he was dispelled
Jaitee
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Murrog » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm

This is probably not the most pro way to handle sacred shield but it works for me--I macro'd it to both of my holy power spenders--the shield block and the heal, so that whenever I spend holy power I am casting it.

Overkill--yes--and for that reason I do not have it similar macro'd for my ret spec, where the extra dps counts. So far I have found staying alive is the most important thing I do as a tank.
Murrog
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Darpalta » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Murrog wrote:This is probably not the most pro way to handle sacred shield but it works for me--I macro'd it to both of my holy power spenders--the shield block and the heal, so that whenever I spend holy power I am casting it.

Overkill--yes--and for that reason I do not have it similar macro'd for my ret spec, where the extra dps counts. So far I have found staying alive is the most important thing I do as a tank.


Its not even ideal from a survival standpoint. You'll be going from High-AP Sacred Shields to Low-AP Sacred Shields quite often. Sitting on a High-AP Sacred Shield is far better than losing a high AP value one via your macros. You're also wasting a LOT of GCDs by doing that (Sacred Shield IS on the GCD, even though WoG and ShoR aren't), which potentially lowers both your DPS and your Holy Power generation, again cutting your survivability at times and cutting your DPS at all times.
Image
Darpalta
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Thels » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:29 am

Indeed, what Darpalta said. Sacred Shield is on the GCD, so your uptime of SotR suffers bigtime.

If you're really having a hard time keeping track of your SS uptime, do something like: CS > J > AS > HW > L90 > SS. That should keep your shield up, at the loss of damage only. However, it's best to use some kind of addon that warns you SS is about to run out, so you can weave them in more sensible, and keep Consecration in your DPS rotation.
ImageImage
User avatar
Thels
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am
Location: The Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest