[10H] Tortos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10H] Tortos

Postby Schroom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 am

belive me, we tried it on normal mode. somehow always somebody managed to pull aggro....
Schroom

Postby Belloc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 am

Schroom wrote:belive me, we tried it on normal mode. somehow always somebody managed to pull aggro....

You're talking about normal mode. Remember that players generally don't take farm content normal modes as seriously as they would progression heroics.

I had players pulling aggro off me last night, too. Of course, that's because they were laying down their ground AOEs and attacking before I even had a chance to Hammer the bats. If your players can wait for the bats to land on you and for you to call out when it's okay, you should never have aggro issues.

In other words, they weren't doing it right. Don't give up on something just because your players are failing to handle that part of the fight properly. Instead, tell them what to do and punish them if they keep screwing up. "Next person to pull aggro on bats doesn't get to DPS until it looks like we can kill this."
Last edited by Belloc on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby perkyblonde » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:08 am

for solotanking it, how do you recommend gearing (10 man), are you going for stamina for extra shell+ buffer, or mastery for blocks+sotr when bats are there or same old haste ?
perkyblonde

Postby Bellanka » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 am

perkyblonde wrote:for solotanking it, how do you recommend gearing (10 man), are you going for stamina for extra shell+ buffer, or mastery for blocks+sotr when bats are there or same old haste ?

My default is running haste, but I tried using T14 4-Piece with a mastery build, and I got considerably more coverage out of the Haste build.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Bemxuu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm

People pulling aggro off prot pally? Wow...

I did it with my twink and what I was doing is just hardcasting one Flash of Light on myself - and the bats were all mine. Of course, I did it right after or a good while before the Bite : )
Bemxuu

Postby Grommash » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 am

Got this in about two hours, really not that bad.

Kited the bats with a frost DK and ignored them completely. Warlocks should use soul burned SoC on them though as it nets pretty much infinite shards though.

Just make sure you have the crystal buff when you're topped off (or nearly topped off). Personal CDs for every stomp and raid CDs following them. It's really not useful to get a shell debuff when you're at like 25-35% health, just do it when you're close to full HP.

Kiting bats means that your only failure point is going to be turtles getting out of hand. If they aren't snared (preferably soul burned exhausting) it makes everything far more sketchy.
Grommash

Postby Schroom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 am

Bellanka wrote:From my understanding the whole fight is about managing the buff from the crystals. I had a macro for targeting the nearest one and casting Judgement (since it doesn't require you to face your target) and it worked great. The problem was bats chewing through it, and DPS not killing them fast enough. Stomp + Bats still up = dead tank.

we had the same problem. bats didn't die before the stomp -> dead me.

then we tried our warrior to kite them. out of rage, out of slow -> stomp dead tank.

we will have our monk doing bewmaster next week and try again with him kiting. we went on for Ji-kun which at least looks doable right now.
Schroom

Postby Kai » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 am

if you tank them, surely you got some stun for the bats when the stomp hits? how about using an immunity on a healer on top of it? bubble, hand of prot should ignore the stomp. if that healer has a big heal land right after the stomp hits and you use at least SotR (ideally a CD on top of it), that should be enough to keep the shell at a reasonable level. if you have a prot paladin and a holy paladin, you should have an immunity for one of the healers for every stun.
Kai

Postby Winkle » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 am

Attempted solotanking this yesterday, tanking the bats through quake is very risky, even with a CD up my shield would drop low and then be munched through by the boss/bats.

If you solo tank this you should be looking to kill bats before stomp/quake. If all DPS switch to bats they will die very quickly.

Also tried the frost DK kite strat, seems a lot more stable/less things to worry about.
Winkle

Postby Schroom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:25 am

exactly what winkle described happened. even with Bubble/Bop on the healer the shield got damn low after the stomp, even with Cooldowns. 1 second later it broke and happy feasting little bats.

also having DPS switch to the bats is a huge DPS loss on the Boss. that's why we wait another week for our monk tank to be there and just kite the hell out of them.
Schroom

Postby Bemxuu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 am

Solotanking actually means +1 damage dealer. Switching to bats for few seconds is not that big of a deal. And - yeah - you should've saved offensive cooldowns for that as well as defensives on tank and switch specs/pets accordingly. We did that. Did not result in a kill as we got repeatedly overwhelmed on last 10% where turtles get out of control and hinder our dps, but up until then it was fine.
Bemxuu

Postby Gab » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 am

We only had two healers last night. We tried solo tanking, we tried one tank on bats and one tank on boss but always ran into issues with tanks taking too much damage one way or another and healers falling behind on the absorbs. Finally we just had our monk go BM and kite and Tortos died as soon as the Monk got a feel for the kiting and new spawn pick ups.

Kiting seems to me the best way to go as long as you have a Monk or DK. With 3 healers solo tanking probably wouldn't have been bad but if you can completely ignore bats I don't see why you wouldn't unless of course you don't have an adequate kiter.

At least for our group it would have had to come down to 3 heals and a tank or 2 heals, a tank and a kiter. 6 DPS either way.
Gab

Postby Bellanka » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 am

What kind of slows did those of you have done the kiting method had for the turtles?

Every time we tried kiting the turtles would cause big problems for the kiter.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Bemxuu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Brewmaster monk and frost dk can kite them. Dizzying haze and Howling blast.
Bemxuu

Postby Grommash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:36 pm

For the turles we opened with glyphed soul burned curse of exhaustion. Melee helps to burn one turtle while they are snared by 70% when each new spawn comes out then they go off and tunnel the boss again. Once one turtle is dead the lock just puts the curse on one turtle and there are usually enough random 50% snares floating around (as we have a DK kiting the bats) that the turtles are always snared.

I kite the bats for my guild as a DK and never had a problem with turtles. Except for the soft enrage where turtles just pour out. Just have to be careful and keep your distance. Even if your kiter gets hit once by the turtles he should have enough distance where the bats won't reach him. I was an engineer so in the event I got knocked up in the air and I thought the bats would catch me, I would just glider to the other side of the room.

Edit obviously lol.
Last edited by Grommash on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grommash

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)