Remove Advertisements

Ion Qon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Ion Qon

Postby Winkle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:27 am

A few points/tips after our kill which we weren't aware of:

Stone Skin drops both the dot from running through fire and the impale from the boss. Dwarves own this fight.

If needed you can hero twice on this fight, hero on fire phase is nice since it seems to be the one with the most damage.
Winkle

Re: Ion Qon

Postby Bellanka » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:18 am

Double Hero is what got us our kill. That Fire Phase is pretty gnarly, but the rest of the fight is cake once you have that down.

Also, he can be single tanked using Clemency if you have another Paladin in raid for another HoP. I was dropping his debuff right after the 4th stack.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 am

if your are a dwarf Tankadin, yo can also solotank it, being the only Paladin in your raid if you use stoneform, bubble and double BoP through clemency.

did this yesterday and it's amazing. Being a Dwarf rocks on this fight!
Schroom

Postby Chronos » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Has anyone found that the warlock portal can throw you into a tornado if you pass thru one in midair? Our warlock said this but I thought it was safe. Thanks.
Chronos

Postby Darielle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 pm

If you get Lifegripped through a Tornado, you also get sucked in.
Darielle

Postby Promdates » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Schroom wrote:if your are a dwarf Tankadin, yo can also solotank it, being the only Paladin in your raid if you use stoneform, bubble and double BoP through clemency.

did this yesterday and it's amazing. Being a Dwarf rocks on this fight!

You don't have to be a Dwarf to pull this off... maybe on 10m with only 1 paladin. I was able to abuse the hell out of this fight last night by having 2 holy paladins spec into Hand of Purity, along with myself. I would tank normally through the fire phase, stacking up to 6-7 impales (this was probably around 20%), then bubble them off. I wouldn't have to worry about doing another bubble or bop well into the frost phase since it always fell off during the wind storm.

We tried to 2 tank it originally, and it proved a little safer as far as if there was a possible tank death in the wind storm. Ultimately we just decided to single tank it and have our off-tank (who mains dps) to dps his heart out. Worked out so much better.

Being able to chain Hand of Purity on the tank is exceptionally nice though. I made a WA string that anouncements when HoPur is on me and when it falls off. This allows the other paladins to follow up with theirs. 3 HoPur rotation covers 18 seconds of the 30 second cd. This is effectively a 60% uptime on a 10% reduction and a 70% reduction on the Impale dot. You really don't have to start doing this until the impale hits 2+ stacks, as it doesn't do that much at the lower values. Just be sure to use your CD's during the 5-6 stack time to help healers out as much as possible, as other than this time there isn't really a lot of straight up tank damage that you need to save the CD's for until P4.
Promdates

Postby Schroom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 am

yep I meant with no other Paladin, dwarf pally can still solotank. that's why I said "being the only Paladin in your raid". :>
Schroom

Postby Sagara » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 pm

I ran into some trouble last night on this boss. I've been asked to dps this one, but the Fire phase annoys me to no end and I end up dead more often than not.

Reasons I could identity are : unplanned Unleashed Flame on melee and having to run back and forth to my stack position a good 30y behind the boss, often having to deal with either the spear or its trails.

The second one I just have to be smarter about positioning and/or CDs, but the first really comes down to 7 melee + 2 tanks on the boss and its tiny hitbox - one missstep, and someone's chaining your 3-man group with another 3-man and BOOM - Unleashed Flame. Boom - 25% extra Fire damage. Boom - extra DoT damage from the stupid fire trails. Boom - dead paladin.

The good news is Frost and WInd aren't that troublesome.

So, I wanted to ask - how do you guys sort out the melee, if you have that many people? (although 7 isn't THAT much).
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Schroom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:48 pm

mh as we play 10 man we play 3melees and 1 tank, the melee who does the least DPS anyway stands in front of the Boss next to the tank and runs behind the boss to the other melees to trigger :>
Schroom

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am

Iron Qon targets Unleashed Flame on stacks of 5+ within 10 yards on 25-man. If you are having issues with your melee getting hit by this unplanned, then have them enable a range check (/dbm range 10) and use that as a visual indicator.

If they're still failing, then have some of them stack with the tank.

For 10 man, we generally have 3 people in melee range. Whoever is behind the boss is not within 10 yards of the whoever is in front of the boss. However, if someone stacks in the center of the boss' hitbox, front and back players are within 10 yards of that person. I can't say for sure if this would work as a triangle (tank at one point, dps at the other two, everyone max range), but if it did, you could go with that as well.

So, either split your melee soak team between the front and the back of the boss, or make a triangle if the range allows for it. When it's time for the melee group to soak, simply have the tank or a DPS run into the center of the boss' hitbox and no one else has to move.
Belloc

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)