Remove Advertisements

[10H] Tortos

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10H] Tortos

Postby Bellanka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 pm

From the pulls we did last night, this looks to be a balance of timing your crystal charges correctly (and knowing when to reapply) and having the DPS to kill Turtles and Bats and still DPS the boss.

We tried a few different things:

Me on Tortos, Monk kiting the Bats: this would work well, if the turtle shells were always slowed and didn't knock the Monk up. If they did the bats would catch him and he'd die. This seemed to work best for us, getting Tortos to 50%.

Monk on Tortos, me on Bats: Worked a little better, but the bats were a real problem, since they heal on any target under 550k life.

Me solo tanking Tortos and the Bats: seemed VERY rough, even with my reforging into mastery over haste and putting my T14 4 piece back on. If my shield falls off, the bats all heal right back up and then we fall behind, or I just die.

What are other guilds doing for this? I really hope our problem isn't DPS, although I'm afraid it might be.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Re: [10H] Tortos

Postby Grommash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:40 pm

I'd think it's safer just to kite them around and solo tank the boss. Have somebody use a stun on them before a quake (just for security) and make sure those turtles are snared. I plan to do this on my DK, but Monks are a bit safer if done properly. The only downside to monks doing it is the keg toss doesn't do damage. Not that you're goal is to kill the bats anyways, but it's far less stressful if 'some' of the bats die.

How many healer are you running? I've seen people do it with two and three. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of damage if people do the crystals right.
Grommash

Postby Kai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:59 am

we've tried a lot of different things, 3 healer, 2 tanks, killing bats, 2 healer, 1 tank, 1 kiter.

ended up going with 3 healers 1 tank 1 kiter (frost DK in blood pres), got it in a handful attempts with that. not saying it's the best way to do it, but certainly worked very well for us. certainly possible to two heal it as well. If you want to do that, should have a dps on kicking turtles. we three-healed and had a healer do that, I tried to kick them through the new set of turtles whenever possible. hunter trap pretty much under the boss, then soulburn-slowing curse for a 15s -70% slow and our two mages switched to frostfire bolt to make sure they would stay slowed afterwards.

managing the crystals properly helps a lot. you want to click it as early as possible and then right after the quake you want to click it again. ideally you just target one while you're stunned and then instantly get it up. reason is that there's rockfall aoe dmg right after the quake and you're preventing massive amounts of damage by doing that. typically the rockfall will break the shell again and you have to pick up another one before the next quake, but it's a lot of damage that does not have to be healed.
only thing that does not work is clicking the shield on like 5% HP, but as long as you're above 50%, imo it's always better to have a shield then not to. about 5 min into the fight there's a period without a new turtle spawn (no clue if it bugged out for us twice in a row, but certainly was the case) for a good while and you should have 4-5 turtle shells ready, even if you kicked them at every breath and every new turtle spawn. we blood lusted then and kept the turtle debuff on the boss up.
Kai

Postby Schroom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 am

We will pull this boss next week so I?m already thinking about this encounter. I guess the Battank should aim for plain stamina. And give the healers a chance to keep you topped over 550.

also I guess every soft ae CC would be helpful like ring of frost, glyphed AE fear from a priest (does his root work?), AE freeze from TKs, Blinding Light, and so on.
Schroom

Postby Kai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:55 am

I think if you tank the bats, stamina doesn't matter that much. it's all about the bat tank having a shell-shield and keeping that up permanently. means your healers need to know how high the absorb is, weak auras can show that for example. there's also a grid extension for it.
Kai

Postby Bellanka » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 am

From my understanding the whole fight is about managing the buff from the crystals. I had a macro for targeting the nearest one and casting Judgement (since it doesn't require you to face your target) and it worked great. The problem was bats chewing through it, and DPS not killing them fast enough. Stomp + Bats still up = dead tank.

We moved on to some Ji'kun attempts and fared much better. I'm pretty sure Tortos is going to be 4th for us in terms of kill order, after Horridon and Ji'kun. Still, I think if we had a Warlock this fight would be much easier. CoExhaustion on those turtles makes them comically slow.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Kai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 am

stomp + bats up just means that your shield needs to be fully charged and you have to aoe stun the bats, if you don't have anyone in the raid being able to do that, I don't think tanking is going to work out. Always killing them before a stomp doesn't sound realistic, dps still has to prioritize the turtles.
Kai

Postby Schroom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:38 am

mh does LoH and self WoG work in order to stack the absorbshell? or does it have to be exterior healing?
Schroom

Postby daishan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 am

Self heals stack up the shell, I don't think SS absorbs stack the shell.
Even with my haste build the few attempts we've had so far I didn't seem to have the free Holy Power to risk WoGing need all I have for SotR on bites, stomps, and bats.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Chronos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Anyone have a weakaura string that can track your shell shield amount?
Chronos

Postby daishan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:46 pm

These Weak Auras show the Shell icon, the maxed Shell icon, and the size of the absorb as a number.

Code: Select all
dOtBhaGEkGDrazBk0mfKMnr3Kc52QQ(geDAr2PI2lA3sSFH4NsQggP63I6YknubvdwOmCv4Gsk(RG4yQ05eQwijAPeGftGwUQ8qPKNcwMQYZHAIsknvknzsz6uDrcYvPq9mbUofTrc5Ws1MH02fu(ibuFwsMgj9DkiJKcQlrbA0eQXlL6KKWTesxtkopeEScgNk61euZlTe60sNaMWvGufiKcuCc)e0iOrlH21rrXRtrrhhvJFQImi(ztWvhzarJQQsarDuu86uuJ(4ytJ(yJAtqWyqarJQQsaVs0WZPItqzDRTUrHkKilH3wLYflIJLq1lBEqOy(BFPQQ9H58siPrWMFEgtqM7A0s4LLlTe(nLEIw60PtyBF0lARgvsNWaTCEPLGwcFi7iSBBNGbXe8xQQAF0saFSsPcnc3aKJbbe2W2ItOL4UhjMrlg3RwcARGMOOwehlbdxJamsKXHsWeVHGpwPuHgvsO0)xmTCEj06Ha7DzKyG4vkPtWeVHywsovsaBk4q2S4ujbZYg2wCcDtpta1ukXd9cvsNG2I7U5R7lfKaAU4eesgMXkIetuU4eeVPkXof1m(fVr)77E2mIC8uNOrvrsqM7A0sWeVHu6)lfKWllxAj8Bk9eT0PtO0)xc12tyX9cb8XoqlbCQujxo)i8Bk9eTC(rL0Ptyq2XyAjGtLk5si8AcTMAvmj8Bk9eTecVMqRPwftQKoD6eqZfhsgy5uvNGwcFi7iaVpimMGbXeEBvkxSiowc(22j0UokkEDoJ2Ota79bHXTYfVNk)BXjOyckQvicgiN)5uNq30ZujHKgHwpeyVlJedeVsjbdL0CXuut8gvKniJRQQE1V3pIgv9KqAixOscfZF7lvvTpmNxcypnimIAnFDpLluqcPsy7dVuqc4vIgEovCcTeAAfsaeWEFqyC45uXjOSU1w3ibOqGnSLGVT9wzz(rlNxoVC(X5LZaoVCQY5LoDo)OLaAU4qYalNFQe0s4dzhb49bHXem4bH21rrXRtrrhV3GVZG4iJhO2e)7s0OQneK5UgTeEz5slHFtPNOLoD6e6dEkxW0sa79NtlbTCivYSHOGe0YHGZMfnQKoDc9s6V7PCHwcyV)CAjC8w86eWYK2(svID60j4Vuv1(OLa(yLsfAeUbihdciyI3qWhRuQqJkjGAkL4HEHkju6)lMwoVeA9qG9Umsmq8kL0jOTcAIIArCSemCncWirghkDcyVpimUvU49u5FloH6gBbf1keHKgHwpeyVlJedeVszKykgYfcgkP5I58QRtanxCccjdZyfrIjkxCcfZF7lvvTpmNxcI3uLyNZRUoH3wLYflIJLqAixiG9(GW4WZPItqzDRTUre8TT3klZpA58JtDodOOtKnXJR(DQRoE1pvpjA0Mr605mGwcO5IdjdSC(PtqlHpKDeG3hegtWGdegYY8Jwo)OOtvKidgv11vvh)UxDIgTjGZak6S5mii4Q3O2CrEEos0Onb0jG9(GW4WZPItiuHezj82QuUyrCSesd5cH21rrXRtrrhV3GVZGgKJJX)qgGKOrvBium)TVuv1(WCEjK0i06Ha7DzKyG4vkJeZOE7iXumKlrIrWFPQQ9rlb8XkLk0iCv1rQFjyI3qWhRuQqJkjOTcAIIArCSemCncWirghkHs)FX0Y5LqRhcS3LrIbIxPKobutPep0lujDcgkP5I58QRtanxCccjdZyfrIjkxCcI3uLyNZRUobe1rrXRZ5LGm31OLWllxAj8Bk9eT0PtNGVT9wzz(rlNFCQZzafDISjEC1VtD1XR(P6jrJ2msNoDcHX5vvxNoj

If anyone could post an Aura that has the size of the Shell as a % that would be great.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Galiks » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:44 am

Solo tank it is as a prot paladin - sotr before each snapping bite and should have zero problems.

Save defensives for when bats land and use them immediately to ensure crystal shell stays up

Remorseless Winter and Binding Shot help tremendously for AoE stuns on each wave.
Prot Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... s/advanced
Moonkin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... ice/simple
Prot Warrior - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... osh/simple

<Rehabilitation Clinic> GM/RL
rcazgalor.guildlaunch.com : 13/13H 10-man: Mon-Wed 7-11 World #49 Overall

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/231362/

Recruiting mage!
Galiks

Postby Schroom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am

I hear a lot of guilds claiming to only kite the Bats all the time but never kill them, although what I read here is suggests killing them. is it a lot of a DPS loss to kill them? is kiting them worth the risk of being oneshot after a couple of waves.

on tank like Galiks says is a bit to risky I guess, if a healer or a DPS pulls aggro on a bat it's basically a wipe here. with 2 tanks I could maybe intervene and catch the bat before it gets to the range/healer.

Also I still think stamina gets you some + here with the shell going up to 75% of your actually stamina if I get the mechanic right. so if I get it right you should at least have 734k HP in order to stay above 550k life after the stomp with a fully stacked Chrystal shield.
Schroom

Postby Kai » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 am

we kited them with a frost DK in blood pres. we tried 1 tanking with a warrior before. certainly works but felt there were too many oh-shit moments while kiting was just one guy having to figure out how to run in a circle and not multiple people correctly rotating CDs and healers a lot of attention to the tank's shield.
also depends if you have a good kiter, we tried our monk tank and that did not go all that well but our DK handled it within a handful of attempts.
Kai

Postby Winkle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:58 am

Solo tanking it with a pally is obviously easier than with other tanks since your Battlehealer threat is through the roof meaning little/no aggro problems on new bat spawns.
Winkle

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)