Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby daishan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 am

Ye good points.
I guess from a pure tanking standpoint the tank ring is ever so slightly better, but if you go ret very often or value haste even slightly more than the standard stat weights the haste/crit ring may be better use of your vp.
And if you put even a small value on your dps crit would become a non zero weighted stat, not that I'm suggesting any tank should take crit just that it's not quite completely useless.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Shaera » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Quick query.
Tonight we got council down and the agi weapon http://www.wowhead.com/item=94759 dropped. I initially took it to wind up our enhance shammy as he was rested tonight, however my previous weapon was http://www.wowhead.com/item=86130 which was upgraded 2/2. Now this is almost 1k dps weapon increase even though its clearly an agi weapon. What are peoples thoughts on using it? I lose some Ap through lack of Str but the hit/expertise are easily recovered.

I have also went haste/control at the moment but it feels very squishy at times. I got one shot by horridon's War God Add tonight 100-0%, how are people finding the overall damage taken in ToT?
Shaera

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Shaera wrote:Quick query.
Tonight we got council down and the agi weapon http://www.wowhead.com/item=94759 dropped. I initially took it to wind up our enhance shammy as he was rested tonight, however my previous weapon was http://www.wowhead.com/item=86130 which was upgraded 2/2. Now this is almost 1k dps weapon increase even though its clearly an agi weapon. What are peoples thoughts on using it? I lose some Ap through lack of Str but the hit/expertise are easily recovered.

I have also went haste/control at the moment but it feels very squishy at times. I got one shot by horridon's War God Add tonight 100-0%, how are people finding the overall damage taken in ToT?

At 506 ilvl raiding 10 man I found tank damage to be pretty low until you get to Megaera, as long as you are using cooldowns and SotR appropriately. From my experience War God didn't really do all that much damage... maybe you got clipped by a stomp or something?

As far as the weapon goes and assuming two pure haste gems, one from the black prince socket, you'd be gaining.

588 Agi
243 Crit

298 Stam
405 Mastery
642 Haste
And a lot of weapon dps.

In exchange for:

529 Str
326 Expertise
368 hit

Seems like a worthwhile trade off to me as long as you aren't putting yourself out of reach of hit/expertise caps. If you don't have access to Eye of the Black Prince It's a bit closer but probably still worth it.
Gab

Postby Fenris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:24 am

Once again to the happy moments of a tier change...

Downed Horridon for the second time,rolled a coin,got the helm out of it.

Obviously,i was hoping for the back.

But now that i have it...

a)Use it.That means breaking T14-4p bonus.Doesn't seem that good an idea at the moment...But sooner or later that will happen anyway...
b)....so,keep it for the future?TBH,there seem to be better off-set helms dropping farther in (and then there is the set helm),but that's hoping in a kind of luck that i never have
c)Shard it and sell the new-blood-spirit while they go for obscene amounts of gold (or maybe keep it if there is anything worth crafting this tier)

And,on the sides,if anyone can exlain me why after 3 months the control/mastery setting on askmrrobot keeps reforging everything i have into haste,the same way the control/haste does,i'd be grateful....
Makes kind of hard to use it as a quick reference guide when i have to go and do the math myself anyway.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Dinuvian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello folks!

I've been perusing these forums since Cataclysm, and this is my first post (ashamed!). Thanks for getting me through Dragon Soul!

I'm looking for some expert advice on both my stats/gems etc, and also on a bit of a larger picture. I'm the raid leader of a 10man team. We raid twice a week and are pushing through normal content. We were 10/18 when 5.2 came out and we got Jin'Rokh down on the first night (very proud moment). What I'd like to do is push past normals and get into heroics. Not as fast as the hardcore folks, but I dont want to slack.

I've always used Ask Mr Robot, and I've seen a few threads recently that made it obvious that I severely under-utilize it, as I've never messed with stat weights. So you'll see a lot of STA gems on my gear.

I want this to change.

Any advice, tips, critique etc are very welcome. I'm looking to push to the next level and help my team do the same. If you have suggestions for stat weights for ask mr robot, that would be great too (or if you think it's not good to use, let me know that too).

Thanks guys! Here is a link to my armory profile:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/i ... l/advanced
Dinuvian

Postby econ21 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Dinuvian wrote:I've always used Ask Mr Robot, and I've seen a few threads recently that made it obvious that I severely under-utilize it, as I've never messed with stat weights. So you'll see a lot of STA gems on my gear.

AMRs weights were set by Theck, the guru of tankadin theorycrafting who moderates the advanced training forum here, so I don't think you'll find much criticism of them here. They've been revised somewhat for 5.2.

Last I checked, they did tend to recommend stamina gems as that's what Theck argues is the best survival stat for us. I've been largely following that advice and am happy with it - I like the security the extra HPs provide, I think it helps me survive some of the mistakes that tend to kill tanks (whether it's me not popping a CD or a heal not coming).

There is a case for haste gemming for extra dps or more control, and many 10 man raiders go for that instead.

I think it's ultimately up to you to make a judgement on based on your experience - I've not seen decisive arguments either way. It's usually a case of "I don't need the stamina - the damage is trivial" vs "I get hit like a ton of bricks, more stamina is great". As such, it will depend on the content you are tanking and also the skill of your raid group.
econ21

Postby Dinuvian » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:24 pm

I saw a great response by Theck on a somewhat.. hostile... thread. Made me a lot more comfortable with I've been doing.

I may try reducing the stamina a little since I'm in normals and see how it feels. In the meantime, I plan on trying to understand some of this math you guys have in here :)
Dinuvian

Postby Sagara » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:08 am

A good "trick" if you don't want to limit the amount of stam you get is to set a cap on stam in the parameters, while retaining Theck's stat balance. It especially works wonders 10-men where you don't need *that* much stamina.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Uronaldo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 am

Hi everybody so my guild is starting heroics this week and we probably going for the first 2 boss tortos and jinkun
Horridon i will probably be tanking him the whole time resetting stacks with DS or BOP.
Tortos im the bat tank usually
So i would like to have some advice what should I change on my gear specially gems related.
So far im going with haste build making sure to help with the dps and had no problems at all about dying. I know how to control cds plus SotR to keep a higher uptime during fights. My dps so far been around 80k or more depends on fights.
Should I drop some haste to get more stamina in my gear. My valor points this week im buying the back from the new rep the haste mastery one. Or in case i need more stamina im getting the shado-pan trinket.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/u ... lol/simple here is my armory
Uronaldo

Postby Jadhzia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:36 am

Hello,

I'll probably be stuck at Friendly with Shado-Pan Assault for a while, so I'm wondering what my next best Valor item would be. Here is my armory.

- Loop of the Shado-Pan Assault is the most obvious choice, replacing either Band of Bursting Novas or Seal of the Bloodseeker.

- I'm a bit confused with the new trinkets. I'm not too excited by Steadfast Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault... It would be fine to replace my old Relic of Niuzao: I'm doing only 10-man normal mode, so trading Stamina for Mastery would be okay. But what about Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault? The static Expertise bonus is nice, but I'm not sure a Strength proc would be really useful...

My gut feeling would be to take the ring first, to replace the Expertise / Dodge one. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby Taeron » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:29 am

With the chest tier token... would it be a lot better to pick up a retribution piece or would it be just as fine going for the tank piece (parry/dodge, sigh) and get the 2 piece bonus?

I mean... stats on retri piece seem optimal for our current situation but I feel... wrong, picking up a retri piece.

Dilemma...
Taeron

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm going to get the ret chest when I get a token.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Is my stamina acceptable for 10N ToT?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... dus/simple
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Yeah. Jin'Rok and Megaera tend to hit a bit hard, but everything else up to Dumuru mainly use a "huge nuke incoming!" mechanic that ShotR and/or cooldowns can handle.
You may run into trouble on Megaera, but that's not a given, and my attempts on her 10M version were pre-nerf, so it's not *that* certain.
Maybe you could lay your hand on a Niuzao trinket, just in case?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 am

I do have it, just normally only use it on raids. For everything else, I use my str trinket just for lulz
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice