Remove Advertisements

Sacred shield

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Sacred shield

Postby thunderz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am

I have been raiding since BC as a Prot pally. I use weak aura to help me out with sacred shield. I go over my world of logs to help me improve. I'm told I'm a good tank and easy to heal. Here is my problem week after week I see in my logs that sacred sheild is only up ~40% of the time at best. Does anyone have logs of it being up for 90-100% of the time. If so can I look at your logs. I'm trying to find out what I am doing wrong.
thunderz

Re: Sacred shield

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 am

LOL thank god I'm not the only one with ~40% uptime.

Rhia's got a tank in his main guild that had uptime around 80% I think. Let me go poke him for the log.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby thunderz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 am

I'm pulling what little hair i have out trying to solve this. Must be a canadian hating thing. I wonder if it only count up time for when the shild is up, IE if you take a hit and the shild is gone does that count as up time or down time. then the shiled comes back in 6 sec. do you know what I mean.
thunderz

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am

There should be two buffs, one for the duration of the spell, one for the shields that pop up. I just pulled up a top Prot Paladin parse on World of Logs to confirm, and they have 90% uptime on one and 50% on the other.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Zothor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am

I thought this was boss by boss, because I glanced at a couple of my logs and saw wildly differing uptimes (especially when comparing them to Theck's logs, which I consider a personal target goal), but then I found large disparities on some of our fights which might be strat based. So, here are my logs on

Council: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x5ik ... 888&e=4337
Tortos: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x5ik ... 491&e=5851
Megaera: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x5ik ... boss=68065
Durumu: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ncln ... 195&e=6647

Apparently our logs from Dark Animus aren't up. The consistent thing with those fights? Those are fights where I was tanking (or otherwise trying to mitigate damage) almost the entire time.

I use Theck's weakauras strings, which notify me obnoxiously when SS drops off; I also compulsively hit it as filler when I have a GCD open, probably more than I should. If you can post your logs I'll try and take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Also, you ARE looking at the higher of the two sacred shield numbers, right? If you look "Sacred Shield" shows up in the list of buffs twice; once for the 30 second maintenance buff, and once for the shield it procs. The latter of course will be much lower.
Zothor

Postby Promdates » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:39 pm

You should try to keep it up as much as possible, and strive for a 90-99% uptime. It's not too difficult of a task to do, especially if you have a weak aura string setup to see the remainder timer on it. I use Theck's WA string, with some additional modifications (placement and other cooldowns), and can consistently get mid-high 90's.

Council of Elders 25N
Horridon 25N
Tortos 25N

In the normal piano smashing style of our active tanking, there are occasionally points where you have a free GCD or two where you can refresh SS. If you're using Theck's recent WA string, just be sure you refresh SS when the vengeance indicator is red to make sure you always refresh with a larger shield than previously. That won't always happen, but it really does help.
Promdates

Postby Shahei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm unsure whenever this is obvious or not, but if you click on the "#" beside of the buff, you can see it's uptime in a graph. For ex at the log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x5ik ... 491&e=5851
SS wasn't up for the last ~minute.

I don't use Theck's weakaura string myself, but especially at burn phases, it is common to miss it's refresh.
Shahei

Postby Promdates » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Even in a burn phase you still shouldn't miss the refresh.
Promdates

Postby Shahei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Promdates wrote:Even in a burn phase you still shouldn't miss the refresh.

Ofc! But we are all just humans!
And as a human being I do everything possible to avoid situations where others want to kill me.
(Ex: Pointing out they failed refreshing SS for a min. >.> Phrasing so, that it stings less is one of my best utility! )
Shahei

Postby thunderz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm

here is a copy of my world of logs I am the only pally in the raid

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zhui7f3ndg1eseqi/
thunderz

Postby Promdates » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm

thunderz wrote:here is a copy of my world of logs I am the only pally in the raid

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zhui7f3ndg1eseqi/

Alabaster Shield is terrible on Jin'Rokh, I reccomend going with Focused Shield for MOAR DEEPS.
Promdates

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Well don't need to keep it 100% up depending on the fight, but yeah. Tbh the pally tank in my raid is a bit slack with it unless his survivable's a big deal, with uptime varying from 65% to 95% depending on the fight, here's a Ji'Kun kill with 95% uptime if it's of any use.

Edit: actually checked your log - you do realise it manifests as two buffs like Kysen said? The first 3 pulls I checked you had sacred shield on yourself for 95% of each pull. The 30-40% figure is how long the actual absorb is up (also called sacred shield), and as that is only refreshed every 6 seconds (reduced by haste) the only way you can have high uptime of that buff is if you're not taking damage. So don't worry about that, you're doing fine.
Rhiannon

Postby Schroom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 am

I usually have 100% uptime all the time. on bad days I'm at 97%

I got a weak aura showing me the buff itself, how long until I have to refresh AND in essence "procc" my hotkey for SS if it should ever run out. that's like screaming in my face "you f**** moron usw SS already" ^^

unfortunately the logs of my guild are private so I could only send you screenshots of it ^^
Schroom

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:45 am

I'm actually pretty bad at keeping SS up. It's one of the reasons my WeakAura for it is so "obnoxious." I tend to prioritize abilities that do DPS and refresh SS only if (a) I have a truly empty GCD or (b) it's fallen off and I'm tanking. When I'm off-tanking, I may let it drop for a while and focus on DPS until right before I'm going to taunt.

I'd probably be a lot better about it if I shifted the SS icon on my priority row over ahead of Consecration. That might be something to tweak in my setup (i.e. show it ahead of or overtop the Consecration icon, and only have it appear when the duration on SS is less than 6-8 seconds).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby thunderz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 am

THnaks guys and girls for the response. Now that I know that there are 2 different buff to look at I see that my up time is +95% usually. Thank you Theck for the weakaura setup, although I have modified to to only show 2 things SS timer and Weaking blows.
thunderz

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations