5.3 Item Upgrades

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

5.3 Item Upgrades

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 am

http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/9241762

250 valor to upgrade all valor items 4 item levels, doable twice.
750 for JP items 8 item levels, doable once.

They want to keep the upgrade system but make it a less "brutal" decision.

No upgrades for PvP gear unless it is season 12 gear with upgrade slots available.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Re: 5.3 Item Upgrades

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am

Flex wrote:http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/9241762

250 valor to upgrade all valor items 4 item levels, doable twice.
750 for JP items 8 item levels, doable once.

They want to keep the upgrade system but make it a less "brutal" decision.

No upgrades for PvP gear unless it is season 12 gear with upgrade slots available.

So the valor items, but not the raid drops?... for the non-heroic raider, that would mean the valor gear will be better to have that the 522 raid equivalents...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 am

halabar wrote:So the valor items, but not the raid drops?...

No. Valor items meaning items upgradable by valor. So all PvE epics.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am

Flex wrote:
halabar wrote:So the valor items, but not the raid drops?...

No. Valor items meaning items upgradable by valor. So all PvE epics.

kk..

but at this point isn't JP upgrading going to be largely irrelevant, except for the BoA items like the arch spear?

halabar

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am

halabar wrote:but at this point isn't JP upgrading going to be largely irrelevant, except for the BoA items like the arch spear?

There totally isn't a thread going on about how useless JP are and various catch up mechanisms.
Flex

Postby Lieris » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Still persisting with their shitty idea that nobody wanted I see.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd welcome justice upgrades. Would be nice for the days just as you're hitting 90.
Paxen

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:52 pm

It's interesting, because at 750/1500 it was already often the most efficient way to spend valor, depending on the size of the other upgrades available. Knocking it down to 250/500 will mean I'll probably use all my valor on ilevel upgrades.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Darielle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm

It'll just make the quandary of everyone having upgrades worse. That's going to be annoying. Especially since they'll quite possibly hyperinflate T16 even more as a response.
Darielle

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:21 pm

It's a 3-tier expansion, they're not gonna even get the same ilevel inflation they had in WotLK, nevermind getting into broken levels.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Lieris wrote:Still persisting with their shitty idea that nobody wanted I see.

Bunch of people in my raid team liked item upgrades as a way of progressing since they didn't do reps for valor gear.
Flex

Postby Darielle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:It's a 3-tier expansion, they're not gonna even get the same ilevel inflation they had in WotLK, nevermind getting into broken levels.

Yes they are. Wrath had people go from 200 to 284. Which was ~, the inflation took tanks from the 25-30k ish mark to around 60's.

We're looking at the potential for crossing 600's here from a start at 489. We might break 1.5 million. Bears are going to Mastery (Armor) cap if we try. Warriors are going to get ridiculous. Healers are already to the point of broken (which is why you're able to find Megaera parses where Holy Paladins literally just spam Holy Radiance the entire fight), and they'll get worse. If Ferals were stacking Crit, we'd be brushing up against the crit cap. Other specs getting to 50% crit/50% Haste will be hilarious.

It's worse because while Wrath inflated and went to 2-tier jumps instead of 1, they've gone for the option of putting starter Normal modes above Heroic upgraded. Going from 509 to 522 this tier certainly wasn't necessary, and I remain skeptical that T16 wouldn't wind up starting at like ... 560. We're jumping up an extra tier harder than what we were in Wrath between tiers.
Darielle

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 am

There's only one tier left. If they jump T16 ilevels by the same amount they did for T15, and do it from Thunderforged ilevel rather than regular, you're looking at around ilevel 567 for Heroic gear. If they keep upgrades and thunderforged in T16, that's ilevel 581 as the top ilevel for the expac.

Okay, it's a little more than WotLK in ilevel terms. I don't think it'll cause problems, though.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Darielle » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:03 am

KysenMurrin wrote:There's only one tier left. If they jump T16 ilevels by the same amount they did for T15, and do it from Thunderforged ilevel rather than regular, you're looking at around ilevel 567 for Heroic gear. If they keep upgrades and thunderforged in T16, that's ilevel 581 as the top ilevel for the expac.

Okay, it's a little more than WotLK in ilevel terms. I don't think it'll cause problems, though.

~. A 5.3 upgrade vendor means that you're looking at Heroic Thunderforged Upgraded being at 549 in 5.3 itself.
Heroic T16 will probably be around the 570-575, and if they seem to feel Thunderforged was a good thing, it'll have an equivalent in T16 that could break 580 mark.

I mentioned those specific examples because they're likely to be actual problems - armor capping and so on is just never good. I also left out that Monks can potentially break into the 95%+ Stagger mark (which would be .... slightly overpowered). There's not really a way that problems are not going to creep in here.
Darielle

Postby halabar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Darielle wrote:It'll just make the quandary of everyone having upgrades worse. That's going to be annoying. Especially since they'll quite possibly hyperinflate T16 even more as a response.

Depends on what valor gear will be available, AND if they leave it in for the next patch, or take it out again in 5.4.

and this...

Flex wrote:
Lieris wrote:Still persisting with their shitty idea that nobody wanted I see.

Bunch of people in my raid team liked item upgrades as a way of progressing since they didn't do reps for valor gear.

If the 5.4 valor is gated again, and upgrades are there.. that's certainly a valid alternate path. Unless as Darielle suggests, T16 stuff is inflated.

halabar

Next

Return to General